mental health nursing in Nova Scotia

Old Sep 4th 2008, 2:34 am
Just Joined

scif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mental health nursing in Nova Scotia

Hi,because NS doesn`t recognise RMN`s like some other provinces, am i right in my thinking that a U.K.trained RMN with a nursing diploma a bachelors degree and with 15+ years of experience in nursing care and management in the UK and presently NZ, can only work in Nova Scotia if they can register as a RN and then take and pass the exam ?
their web site says "Graduates of specialized programs (e.g., psychiatry/mental health, pediatrics, midwifery) are not eligible for registration unless they also have general nursing preparation."
Does anybody know what the"general nurse preparation" is exactly, could it mean for e.g. that a RMN who has had multi component training in general and mental health nursing is ok ?
Thanks to anybody who can give any advice.
Scif.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:34 pm
Londonurse

marina is on a distinguished road
Default Re: mental health nursing in Nova Scotia

My husband is UK trained RMN now registered in BC. We are thinking of moving to Ontario. He will need to do a few things in order to register there. It is all not clear what until the nursing board of the province assesses the paper work. He did apply for RN registration in BC before we moved to Canada in 2006. He was told to do 150 hours of medical/surgical nursing practice and about the same amount of hours in theory. He has a Bachelor's degree in Mental health as well. We realised then that in BC there is a board for psychiatric nurses so we went ahead with that. Now wishing he had completed what was started for RN. We are not sure what the outcome will be with Ontario's nursing board. In BC now they adapting SEC assessment
http://www.nursinginbc.ca/ plus you would have to do CRNE anyway. I was wondering if anybody has done SEC in Canada and could give any feed back on it.