Mental Health Nurse emigrating advice needed Please :))))

Old May 31st 2014, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Daniel Seed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mental Health Nurse emigrating advice needed Please :))))

Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice, I want to emigrate to Australia preferably Sydney. I am an experienced Mental Health nurse and 30 years old. My partner will be coming with me who is a make up artist also.

Im just getting so confused with the registration process to transfer to Australia's version on the NMC.

This is what I have so far can you tell me if I'm right?

Firstly I need to complete AGOS-40 application from APHRA get all the documents required then post of to Australia etc and wait to hear back if I'm accepted. This has a 400 dollar fee also.

Then Would I apply for Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) or if I have found a job who will sponsor me apply for the Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190)?

Then is that it?

Im just getting confused around mentions of skills test? I have looked on ANMC's website and there it says I need to do a Skills assessment at a cost of 900 dollars. Also to undertake a IELTS test to test my english language?

What is the difference between APHRA and ANMC? Do i need to complete the assessment with ANMC before I apply to APHRA.

Id really appreciate any help and guidance from fellow expats or people in the same situation as me. I wish there was a simple step by step guide.

One other thing my partner has a half sister in Australia on her dads side can this help in any way?

Many Many thanks in advance

Daniel
Old Jun 1st 2014, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

jillyrj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mental Health Nurse emigrating advice needed Please :))))

Hi Daniel

My advice would be to read alot about the different visa's and on both ANMC and AHPRA sites to weight up which option would be best for you and your partner.

AHPRA is the UK NMC equivelent - you need to be registered with them to practice nursing in Oz same as you need NMC registration in the UK to practice nursing. I cannot recall exactly which for you need - it is one for the internationally qualified nurses wanting to register from overseas but the form has changed since I applied. Its on their website.

ANMC is the body who assess your skills as a nurse. It is separate to AHPRA. Some visa's require ANMC assessment (like the 189 visa for Permanent residency - you need a valid skills assessment for this visa and in Nursing ANMC is the body which provide it). Some visa's don't NEED it - 457's don't always need it but yes you need a job offer willing to sponsor you for that.

You may also need an IELTS english test depending on whether you need points for a visa. The ANMC skills assessment does need an English test so bear that in mind.

Looking on here it does't really matter which way round you do it depending which option you choose. You need ANMC for the 189 visa and AHPRA is independent to the visa - you just need that to practice nursing out there.

Hope this helps a bit - this is only from my own research I may be wrong in some areas and have only looked at 457 and 189 visas and am definitely not an expert so please feel free to correct me where i'm wrong.

Jilly x
Old Jun 1st 2014, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Daniel Seed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mental Health Nurse emigrating advice needed Please :))))

Hi thanks for your reply, I've done a lot of research and reading other threads now and think my starting point is going to be applying to APHRA. Im going to look at the 457 also and get researching job opportunities, my friends have done a similar thing and emigrated on a 457 they used some recruitment agencies and seem to have had a positive experience from them.

Many Thanks