Mater hospital brisbane

Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mater hospital brisbane

i am hoping for jan 09

all depends on stupid house selling

i am at rotherham hospital at the mo although i have just had 4 mths off coz i broke my ankle at xmas and needed it plating..

got to go back in 2 weeks and i am really nervous but exited to be going back at the same time

debbie
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

jo rizo is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm hoping to go in jan as well, got house up for sale, like you say market depending!!! what visa are you going on? and where were you hoping to settle and what dept work in? god i'm nosey!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

we are planning on the 176 state sponsored

i have only been qualified 2.5 yrs so only get 115 points and i will be buggered if i am waiting another 6 months so i can apply for a 175 or spend another £95 on an english test

by the time all that takes i could be there already

i am in theatres and planning on theatres in oz..what about you?

at the mo i am waiing for my skills assessment to come back taking around 10 weeks so jan 09 could be pushin it!

debbie
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:58 pm
lisa

lisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nicelisabarber is just really nice

hi debbie im a theatre sister at warrington, worried we can afford it on one salary hubby wont have job, fed up with not being able to make my mind up
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

hi lisa

i know what you mean!! i will only be on L1 band 2 about 48000 pre tax

but we will be renting and there is salary sacrificing....
my house equity is depleting by the day so wont have loads to take us...........but we dont care..as the OH says we can't be worse off coz the sun will be shining and i hope we will be happier

and yes.......my rose tinted glasses are well and truely on and i am enjoying them whilst i have them.....coz by crickey i HAVE to get outof here!

so what i am trying to say is financially we will be worse of but we think the pay off is worth it.......and he can always get a job once kids are settled.

i also couldnt make my mind up last year and called the whole thing off and i really regret that now...

the choice is yours and your families
good luck

debbie
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbieuk
hi lisa

i know what you mean!! i will only be on L1 band 2 about 48000 pre tax

but we will be renting and there is salary sacrificing....
my house equity is depleting by the day so wont have loads to take us...........but we dont care..as the OH says we can't be worse off coz the sun will be shining and i hope we will be happier

and yes.......my rose tinted glasses are well and truely on and i am enjoying them whilst i have them.....coz by crickey i HAVE to get outof here!

so what i am trying to say is financially we will be worse of but we think the pay off is worth it.......and he can always get a job once kids are settled.

i also couldnt make my mind up last year and called the whole thing off and i really regret that now...

the choice is yours and your families
good luck

debbie

I can only speak from experience. I work at the Mater Mothers and although I have had a few moments where I could tell them to keep their job, all in all I like it there. I have spoken to a fair few agency staff who have worked both there and the RBWH on the same unit and said that the Mater is a LOT better. I had been offered a job at the RBWH but turned it down in favour of the Mater and am glad that I did.

Salary packaging can make a big difference to your pay packet and the over time rates are good. time and a half for 1st 3 hours then double time there after.

The only downside that I can think of is for those who are being sponsered by the hospital which is probably the same at any of the others. If you are taken on to work full time you have to stay full time for the duration of the origainal agreed contract.

A friend of mine signed up for 2 years full time but then found it a bit hard so reduced her hours. She then got a letter from HR to say that she wasnt allowed and had to stay full time for the agreed 2 years. Which is fair enough I suppose.

I didnt get sponsored, as I didnt know about it and am free to work when and where I want, well in theory. As a single parent I have to work full time, but never mind.

I'm happy to answer any questions by pm but wont put any personal details on the open forum ie what area i work in but feel free to pm me.

Tracey
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Julieanne_d is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I have only just joined this site today so bear with me! Im Julieanne, I also went to the Leeds expo on sat, had interview on mon and was offered a job at the Mater! Seems there are quite a few of us going.
I agree it does sound very busy but its probably similar to the UK in terms of business but just think of how much nicer it will be on our days off!
I am due to go out in July 09, just wondering when everyone else is due to go. I'll be going out by myself (so scary), on the interview day they told me loads of young people do this (i'm 24) but it is a bit frightening to think I'm going to turn up and know nobody!!!
If anyone else is in the leeds area and wants to meet up at some point then let me know, would be good to turn up on my first day and see a friendly face in the mater!
thanks xx
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by Julieanne_d
Hi everyone, I have only just joined this site today so bear with me! Im Julieanne, I also went to the Leeds expo on sat, had interview on mon and was offered a job at the Mater! Seems there are quite a few of us going.
I agree it does sound very busy but its probably similar to the UK in terms of business but just think of how much nicer it will be on our days off!
I am due to go out in July 09, just wondering when everyone else is due to go. I'll be going out by myself (so scary), on the interview day they told me loads of young people do this (i'm 24) but it is a bit frightening to think I'm going to turn up and know nobody!!!
If anyone else is in the leeds area and wants to meet up at some point then let me know, would be good to turn up on my first day and see a friendly face in the mater!
thanks xx
Hello Julieanne and welcome to BE. I've been working at the Mater for 5 months now and it really is a great place to work and the staff are really friendly so I'm sure you'll be just fine when you arrive.

Mark
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

babyoven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie-k
Hi Noofie, I am heading for Perth. A small hospital which apparently allows Midwives to be autonomous - I will only know that when I start working though, I'm not that naive
I currently work in a hospital that has around 7.5k birth a year and rising so a small hospital would be rather a nice change.
I will contact my friend and ask her if it's ok to pass on her email. She's really nice and I'm sure there won't be a problem. I did have an interview at the Mater a couple of years ago face to face but decided the Brisbane area wasn't really for us at that particular time. They were very nice at interview and put me at ease.
Speak soon.
Hi
I am a midwife too and hoping to go to hospital in Mandurah later this year!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

mr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of lightmr luvpants is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

How easy is the Mater to get to? Is it on any train lines? If you were commuting by car, how long would it take to get to from Springfield lakes?

JOHN
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Originally Posted by mr luvpants
Hi

How easy is the Mater to get to? Is it on any train lines? If you were commuting by car, how long would it take to get to from Springfield lakes?

JOHN
Hi John,
There is a train station close to the Mater - vulture street station - but there is no train station in Springfield Lakes (they plan to build one by around 2011).

I live at Springfield Lakes and on an early shift leave at 06:00 and that gets me there at about 06:40 (that's on a week day - you knock five minutes off at weekends). Going home also takes about the same length of time. However it is only this quick because us nurses with our early starts avoid rush hour - for those poor people who have to drive at peak time I think it will take a lot longer. Indeed when I drive home after a night the traffic is fine going towards Springfield Lakes but when I look at the other side of the road to the cars going towards the city the cars are bumper to bumper.

Mark
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:46 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I met the DON of the Mater in my past life, she seemed lovely, however, I never worked in the hospital itself.

Is Brisbane where you want to be based?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I met the DON of the Mater in my past life, she seemed lovely, however, I never worked in the hospital itself.

Is Brisbane where you want to be based?
HI Claire,
Yeah, work at the Mater Brisbane and love it

Mark
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:24 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

http://www.amawa.com.au/

try these guys too.
Old Mar 11th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

cola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant futurecola999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lisabarber
hi ladies any of you going to brisbane with kiddies and husband, but your the only one working,
Hi all
Am registered with a few agents anfd they have all recommended Brisbane and spoke of Mater. Am a paediatric nurse with hubby and x 2 boys. How have you found working for Mater? Not intending to go til early next year so will do visa myself, prob opt for 175. Do mater still offer relocation package if you are not being sponsered by them?????
Also, which suburbs can anyone recommend within commuting distance please, prob wont drive in maybe train????
Thanks
Sheila

Last edited by cola999; Mar 11th 2009 at 3:50 pm.