If I was to become a Midwife

Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I was to become a Midwife

I am thinking of changing my career and becoming a midwife and doing the non graduate route through university which would take 3 years in the UK. After I have qualified in 3 years would I be able to get a job in Australia as a newly qualified midwife or would I have to have experience as well. We are looking to move over to Oz in about 3 and a half years time and I would still be under 45 years old. Also with newly qualified midwifes would you be able to get the permanent route visa as well. Any information would be appreciated. Allison
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:07 am
Just Joined

FootieChick07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I was to become a Midwife

Originally Posted by abranch
I am thinking of changing my career and becoming a midwife and doing the non graduate route through university which would take 3 years in the UK. After I have qualified in 3 years would I be able to get a job in Australia as a newly qualified midwife or would I have to have experience as well. We are looking to move over to Oz in about 3 and a half years time and I would still be under 45 years old. Also with newly qualified midwifes would you be able to get the permanent route visa as well. Any information would be appreciated. Allison
Hi Allison

You can go to Australia as a newly qualified midwife on the 457 (temp) visa with sponsorship from an Australian employer. Or, as mentioned in an earlier post, you can be sponsered for PR through the ENS or RSMS route.

In order to apply for independent PR, you would need to have 12 months post-registration experience prior to applying. Hope this helps.

I am a third year student midwife and weighing up all the options at present. If I was single I would opt for the 457, but with 3 kids in tow I feel that PR is a more secure option.

Mel
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: If I was to become a Midwife

Hi

i think you may find that most of the Universities are already full for the 2009 intake and with a large amount of people applying for such a small amount of places you will need lots of experience and study to back you up to give you a chance.

if you are looking to go in 3 and a half years i do not think you will fit in the full 3 years for a degree as 2008 intake have already started and as i say call your local university as they may already be full for 2009 as most will offer places for the following year at interviews

have you thought about nursing as this is there is more places and more intakes throughout the year.

good luck, and i hope you achieve you dream

cheryl
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: If I was to become a Midwife

Hi !
I know stupid question but are you a registered nurse already ??
You can do your training here in Oz , over a year. Is there any other way you could come out here and do your training??
From experience , I would go PR. All my other collegues came out sponsered but were tied into their jobs , love or hate it. There is sooooooo much work here , you'd step off the plane and find a job tommorrow.
Is your question more to do with sorting qualifications for Visa application or jobs in Oz ???
Have answers , not sure what you want.
All the best,
Tass. x