The IELTS machine carries on!

Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

pigwhocouldfly is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down The IELTS machine carries on!

Well needing a 7.0 in all areas of the test I sit here the day after my wife received her IELTS results quite angry and perplexed. After hearing and reading the complaints surrounding people's feelings regarding IELTS I thought just maybe they were over dramatizing things a little.

Well feeling fresh the morning after the day before I am a little concerned about how these tests are marked and the standards the examiners are ultimately looking for. Saturday morning arrived and we were both quite optimistic about the IELTS results, three hours later our post arrived, with a few nerves and slight anxiety my wife opened the results envelope, the results were as follows... Listening 8.5, Reading 9.0, Speaking 8.5, Writing 6.5 arrrghh!! 'For @*$* sake' I said 'just what are they after!' I was quite angry to say the least and yes it was her first attempt at taking the IELTS test so not yet on par with quite a few others just yet!

The results seemed at first glance very good until my eyes met the 6.5 in writing the result just didn't sorry did not (< are you reading IELTS examiners) seem to follow the trend of the other results, well you may ask, maybe just maybe her writing just was not up to standard on the day? Well I asked this very same question to my OH and she told me her writing was in her opinion a very structured piece with good punctuation and correct spelling.

We also bought the Peter May's IELTS practise book from recommendation of quite a few others around the forums and I must say it was an excellent study book with some great material. The writing section of this book also had practise material and tips for a successful result, it carried on to say how to go about writing a good structured piece, for the piece to have an introduction, a good argument and a conclusion, my OH had all this and more!
She was under no illusion about how to set about the writing task .

My problems first and formost with IELTS is firstly why oh why do they insist on vocational English speaking ie born and bred citizens having to do this test at all?!! It ju$t seem$ $o ridiculou$ (apologies for my spelling mistakes there)
I really think this needs to be reviewed. Secondly, I think the speaking and writing aspects of the IELTS are a little unfair as these two parts are subjective, in other words there are no right or wrong answers, these tests are just cannon fodder for some master of the universe to say whether these pieces are to a his or her standards, a great innovation for IELTS though (you can probably gue$$ why). Thirdly I believe that IELTS is a private company that are government approved, why are they not government run?? The reason being we all know why private companies exist, and that is first and foremost to make money, IELTS should be a not for profit organization.

As you can probably guess by now we are going to appeal this result at a cost of another £60 of our hard earned pounds, not all bad as we do get a full refund if we are successful, other than that it will be back to the test centre to try again. My apologies if this thread seems a little arrogant well it isn't meant to come across in that way, I am just a little upset about the whole IELTS machine!!

Please let me know how you feel about IELTS and any similar experiences you may have had and if anybody has had any success on appeal? Oh and if there are any IELTS examiners out there please also feel free to comment, I believe your input will be very welcome indeed.

Thankyou for reading and good luck to anybody else in the same position

Last edited by pigwhocouldfly; Aug 29th 2010 at 11:26 am.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Zeneco26 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The IELTS machine carries on!

God that is just so unfair..... and it makes me feel really really nervous! I did mine just yesterday... and I have done it before 4 years ago (passed with 8,7,7,8). The thought of having to re sit it makes me feel sick as I have a job offer and a starting date for November!
Don't give up!!!
Hugs
Old Aug 29th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

sbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nice

if she failed the exam and you done all your education and exams taught and assessed in english i believe you do not have to sit an IELTS exam which is now stated on the AHPRA website. i called 3 oz call handlers at AHPRA all stating i do not need to exam however it was too close to my exam date so i couldnt get a refund and have since lost £110
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by sbrock11
if she failed the exam and you done all your education and exams taught and assessed in english i believe you do not have to sit an IELTS exam which is now stated on the AHPRA website. i called 3 oz call handlers at AHPRA all stating i do not need to exam however it was too close to my exam date so i couldnt get a refund and have since lost £110
I too took 6 attempts to pass the IELTS after completing three years at University and never failing any exams or essays, I couldn't get about a 6.5 in the reading test and was visiting the doctor for anti anxiety pills as the stress took its toll and the pressure all became too much!!! I eventually passed with 9, 8, 8, 7 overjoyed and now hit the next brick wall!!

AHPRA who have informed me that they are not processing any overseas applications at present and have no idea how long this will take to set up, despite receiving my application.... I telephoned them at 3.30am... to hear yes they have my application and yes they will bank the money and that NO, they have NO idea when and if they will have a process in place to enter me onto the nursing register!!!

ARGGGGHHH all I want is to get my children and husband to Aus and be with my brother and my dad, this whole situation is sooo frustrating...

Please if anyone knows anything about AHPRA and their processing system, please let me know.

Many Thanks

Ruth
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by pigwhocouldfly
Well needing a 7.0 in all areas of the test I sit here the day after my wife received her IELTS results quite angry and perplexed. After hearing and reading the complaints surrounding people's feelings regarding IELTS I thought just maybe they were over dramatizing things a little.

Well feeling fresh the morning after the day before I am a little concerned about how these tests are marked and the standards the examiners are ultimately looking for. Saturday morning arrived and we were both quite optimistic about the IELTS results, three hours later our post arrived, with a few nerves and slight anxiety my wife opened the results envelope, the results were as follows... Listening 8.5, Reading 9.0, Speaking 8.5, Writing 6.5 arrrghh!! 'For @*$* sake' I said 'just what are they after!' I was quite angry to say the least and yes it was her first attempt at taking the IELTS test so not yet on par with quite a few others just yet!

The results seemed at first glance very good until my eyes met the 6.5 in writing the result just didn't sorry did not (< are you reading IELTS examiners) seem to follow the trend of the other results, well you may ask, maybe just maybe her writing just was not up to standard on the day? Well I asked this very same question to my OH and she told me her writing was in her opinion a very structured piece with good punctuation and correct spelling.

We also bought the Peter May's IELTS practise book from recommendation of quite a few others around the forums and I must say it was an excellent study book with some great material. The writing section of this book also had practise material and tips for a successful result, it carried on to say how to go about writing a good structured piece, for the piece to have an introduction, a good argument and a conclusion, my OH had all this and more!
She was under no illusion about how to set about the writing task .

My problems first and formost with IELTS is firstly why oh why do they insist on vocational English speaking ie born and bred citizens having to do this test at all?!! It ju$t seem$ $o ridiculou$ (apologies for my spelling mistakes there)
I really think this needs to be reviewed. Secondly, I think the speaking and writing aspects of the IELTS are a little unfair as these two parts are subjective, in other words there are no right or wrong answers, these tests are just cannon fodder for some master of the universe to say whether these pieces are to a his or her standards, a great innovation for IELTS though (you can probably gue$$ why). Thirdly I believe that IELTS is a private company that are government approved, why are they not government run?? The reason being we all know why private companies exist, and that is first and foremost to make money, IELTS should be a not for profit organization.

As you can probably guess by now we are going to appeal this result at a cost of another £60 of our hard earned pounds, not all bad as we do get a full refund if we are successful, other than that it will be back to the test centre to try again. My apologies if this thread seems a little arrogant well it isn't meant to come across in that way, I am just a little upset about the whole IELTS machine!!

Please let me know how you feel about IELTS and any similar experiences you may have had and if anybody has had any success on appeal? Oh and if there are any IELTS examiners out there please also feel free to comment, I believe your input will be very welcome indeed.

Thankyou for reading and good luck to anybody else in the same position
HI there and good luck, as they say, never give up!! you will get there!! personally I wanted to email the aussie government with letters of complaint, however, just had to keep going with it, despite how frustrating it became.. I have put a later post in this thread regarding my experience.

With reference to your letter of appeal,,,, I didn't try that myself, you could have a go, but I thought for the time it would take and money, I may as well just have another go, and another until 6th time lucky!! my new lucky number!!!

Good Luck and YOU WILL DO IT

Ruth
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:58 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruthnurse
I too took 6 attempts to pass the IELTS after completing three years at University and never failing any exams or essays, I couldn't get about a 6.5 in the reading test and was visiting the doctor for anti anxiety pills as the stress took its toll and the pressure all became too much!!! I eventually passed with 9, 8, 8, 7 overjoyed and now hit the next brick wall!!

AHPRA who have informed me that they are not processing any overseas applications at present and have no idea how long this will take to set up, despite receiving my application.... I telephoned them at 3.30am... to hear yes they have my application and yes they will bank the money and that NO, they have NO idea when and if they will have a process in place to enter me onto the nursing register!!!

ARGGGGHHH all I want is to get my children and husband to Aus and be with my brother and my dad, this whole situation is sooo frustrating...

Please if anyone knows anything about AHPRA and their processing system, please let me know.

Many Thanks

Ruth

They arent processing any overseas applications!!???

jeez ... what are they playing at!?

congrats on passing eventually ...
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all

Well the reason we are appealing this is because the writing and speaking part of the IELTS are the subjective parts to the test, so we have a better chance of appeal since it was the writing section the OH got a 6.5, the listening and reading parts of the test are generally regarded as a no go area for an appeal since those two parts are just a right and wrong answer and needs to basically match the examiner's answer sheet, so definitely worth a shot
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
They arent processing any overseas applications!!???

jeez ... what are they playing at!?

congrats on passing eventually ...
Ditto!

We phoned NMBWA and AHPRA this morning regarding registration basically to ask who is it better to register with since WA will be AHPRA on the 18th October! NMBWA told us that it would be more beneficial for us to register with AHPRA as we may lose our registration fees during the transition period
So then we phoned AHPRA and she spoke to somebody who basically could not understand what my OH was trying to say! We were then transferred to an Englishman who said we still need to register with WA as it is an illegal practise for AHPRA to register anybody who wants to work in WA!! DOUBLE

So now we are just going to register with WA and hope the transitional period goes smoothly, after all they are still going to be operating from the same offices lol

Last edited by pigwhocouldfly; Aug 30th 2010 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

How much is the WA application and whats the link to their site? I may just check it out anyway while I wait.

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ruthnurse
How much is the WA application and whats the link to their site? I may just check it out anyway while I wait.

Thanks
here you go

http://www.nmbwa.org.au/
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Jandals is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have such a huge difference between the band scores they normally double check it straight away.
But let me tell you this. I had to do this IELTS test more than once and always because of the writing part. Always 6.5.
I also believe that they just want to make money, sorry! I met a lot of students at the test center, but they all made it. Mostly I've met the people who wanted to leave the country again. Kind of strange. I know that my writing isn't the best, but no matter what I did: 6.5.
I've got my 7 when I didn't care much about my spelling and concentrated more on all the sophisticated words.
I'm still getting angry when I think about the IELTS!!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

netzkeenet is an unknown quantity at this point

I took IELTS for the 3rd time and I still did not manage to get the desired band score. 1st take writing 6.5. 2nd take speaking 6.0. third take speaking 6.5
IELTS = nightmare

I would like to request for a re-marking. and hoping for an increase in my band score..
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:10 pm
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Knightmare I so feel for you. I must admit I was more worried about the writing rather than any of the others. I am not a writer so I stressed and stressed about it all. I passed with 9,9,9,8 so I was overcome with joy it wil happen and good luck with the apeall
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

deepend is an unknown quantity at this point

21 Mar 2011

Statement from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia today confirmed that the current English language skills registration standard remains in place pending the outcome of an extensive consultation process. Read the media release:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...-standard.aspx
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

SmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by deepend
21 Mar 2011

Statement from the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia

The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia today confirmed that the current English language skills registration standard remains in place pending the outcome of an extensive consultation process. Read the media release:

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...-standard.aspx
Deepend, does that statement actually make things any clearer? Sometimes they say you do need IELTS, other times they say you dont. Does that make it any clearer, 'cos i cant see it?
Thankfully ive passed my IELTS today with a 9 overall, but the better half hasnt had chance to sit hers yet..it'll be useful to know whether she has to go through the whole PITA process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.