IELTS help please!

Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS help please!

Hi Guys,

UK nurse doing IELTS this weekend, need scores of 7 or above for visa points, just wondering if there's anyone out there who has done this and how hard was it? I'm sure having been educated in the UK, RMN diploma etc should mean that I don't find it too difficult?

I have tried to watch videos on youtube for help however, the same guy with same videos coming up and he's do dull I cant bare to watch it again!

Anything that you think is worth knowing for the test would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance for any replies!
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Talita is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS help please!

Hey

Im an IELTS teacher, so plenty of experience here.

First thing to note, don't take it for granted youll bag the 7 as a native speaker - the average native speaker score is actually a 6!

Id suggest checking example papers online. People mainly get stuck on the reading...theres A LOT of it to cover within an hour. So find some papers to get a look..

Same goes for the writing..i assume you're doing the academic version. It's in 2 parts: Part 1 you'll have to describe some data presented to you (examiners are looking for comparative and superlative language). Part 2 is an essay - make sure you read the question carefully! Most native speakers make mistakes here...while i have no doubt your grammar is top notch, ensure you cover ALL aspects of the question. Remember to keep it formal, use as many synonyms as possible, organise correctly and the usual intro, body and conclusion

Hope that helps! Send me a message if you need any extra help.

(a friend of mine sat the test assuming it would be easy - got a 5 in everything but speaking/listening!)

Last edited by Talita; Feb 19th 2014 at 11:57 pm. Reason: my own dodgy grammar ;)
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Why do UK educated/trained/experienced Nurses feel they have to do IELTS? I'm assuming you got AHPRA registration without IELTS so you should be able to nail a sponsored role.

How did you get on BTW YvetteCamile?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

I am able to refer candidates who do require IELTS to a very accomplished tutor with a 96% pass rate at 7. Several packages to choose from, including Online and also, a Residential course in Yorkshire.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

IELTS is required for registration in NZ, but I'm sure that if your schooling was in English you are exempt from IELTS for Australia.

Can someone please comment on this?

Cheers
Gill
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes Gill, that is correct. However some people undertake IELTS to gain extra points for their visa. If you obtain Australian Nursing Registration and are from the UK, you should be able to obtain a sponsored role, and therefore, IELTS is not a requirement.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Talita
Hey

Im an IELTS teacher, so plenty of experience here.

First thing to note, don't take it for granted youll bag the 7 as a native speaker - the average native speaker score is actually a 6!

Id suggest checking example papers online. People mainly get stuck on the reading...theres A LOT of it to cover within an hour. So find some papers to get a look..

Same goes for the writing..i assume you're doing the academic version. It's in 2 parts: Part 1 you'll have to describe some data presented to you (examiners are looking for comparative and superlative language). Part 2 is an essay - make sure you read the question carefully! Most native speakers make mistakes here...while i have no doubt your grammar is top notch, ensure you cover ALL aspects of the question. Remember to keep it formal, use as many synonyms as possible, organise correctly and the usual intro, body and conclusion

Hope that helps! Send me a message if you need any extra help.

(a friend of mine sat the test assuming it would be easy - got a 5 in everything but speaking/listening!)
Thank you very much for that! I am pretty worried to be honest but I shouldn't be too rusty as I'm undertaking some more degree modules at Uni currently which has helped refresh my mind, fingers crossed!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
Why do UK educated/trained/experienced Nurses feel they have to do IELTS? I'm assuming you got AHPRA registration without IELTS so you should be able to nail a sponsored role.

How did you get on BTW YvetteCamile?
I haven't registered yet, I've been told that as I'm applying for a PR visa, I am required to have my skills assessed and part of this assessment is the IELTS, please tell me this is true otherwise I'll have wasted £145!
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
Yes Gill, that is correct. However some people undertake IELTS to gain extra points for their visa. If you obtain Australian Nursing Registration and are from the UK, you should be able to obtain a sponsored role, and therefore, IELTS is not a requirement.
Do you not have to have your skills assessed to be registered as a nurse in oz?
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you do if you're going for a PR visa.

Good luck
Old Feb 21st 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Yes you do if you're going for a PR visa.

Good luck
Thanks Jilliebee!
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

roberta1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yvette when is your test? I am just printing off the application as I type
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roberta1980
Yvette when is your test? I am just printing off the application as I type
Hi Roberta,
I completed the rest yesterday, it wasn't as bad as I had thought. It'll be 2 weeks before I get my results tho
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

roberta1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille
Hi Roberta,
I completed the rest yesterday, it wasn't as bad as I had thought. It'll be 2 weeks before I get my results tho
Keep us posted! I need to score 8 in each section for points, have you started the ANMAC application yet?
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:59 am
Just Joined

dinky123uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I think 7 all areas is ok achademic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.