Hospitals/Community

Old Apr 6th 2005, 4:24 pm
ad4ozz

Default Re: Hospitals/Community

See you are a local jellyhead8000....like me and PaulB...I live Co. Durham and he lives Sedgefield way.

Congrat's on your visa no. just wait to you've paid thousands out on flights and the piggy bank gets empty... .

Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:15 pm
ad4ozz

Anyone else have any ideas on community jobs Queensland...doesn't have to be in Brisbane city will try up the coast toward Cairns...keep them coming.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

We are looking to go to NSW, far north coast, which is from the Byron Bay area to Coffs harbour. There always seems to be vacancies. We are looking at Grafton area (have friends) which is about 2.5 hours south of Brisbane. Byron Bay is obviously closer.
PS Im a Community Psychiatric Nurse.
Paul
Old Apr 9th 2005, 7:39 am
ad4ozz

We are going to look Brisbane up over for now but if anyone comes up with any fantastic ideas could change... :scared: :scared: :scared:

If you want to look at available jobs go to:

http://www.ncah.com/06/index.php

and click job opportunities to get latest jobs

Last edited by ad4ozz; Apr 9th 2005 at 7:41 am. Reason: link not working

Old Apr 9th 2005, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

When are you going??
Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:56 pm
ad4ozz

Talking Re: Hospitals/Community

How longs a piece of string Paul...if we get visa stamped this summer gives us 4 1/2 years to get there . But hope we are there end of this year beginning of next.

Depends on house jobs etc.....and nerve.... :scared: :scared: :scared: .

Old Apr 9th 2005, 4:57 pm
ad4ozz

If you are there Paul go to Chat on the top choice line.

Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:33 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not that easy to get into a home. For residential care as it is known in the uk (hostel over here) you have to buy your way in then pay fees on top. Plus you have to be assessed as needing care. You will find plenty of clients at home and the services they receive will not be what you are used to either. Just one example I have gentleman on my round early 90's has a bedridden wife mid 90's he is main carer but needs my input to stay at home. Wife is only entitled to hygiene care three times times per week (she is doubly incontinent day and night needs changing up to 5 times during the night) but they can't get any extra help. I have looked into this. Continence produces are not provided here free of charge as they would be for her in the uk the best you can hope for is to purchase through a discounted scheme. It is an eye opener when you first arrive but just step back and look at what is happening and the problems with an over stretched uk service and may be it will help you get some perspective in your early days of working here. I know my thoughts for the first few weeks where what have we done I don't want to get old here.

What type of 'vetrans' facilities are you refering to? As if these are war vetrans it will be a different service to non war vetrans. War vets have a completely different care structure and can access care in a different way to the rest of the elderly population.

Sarah
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

coxdebra will become famous soon enough

Sarah, do you work as a community nurse ? Who are you employed by? I am a school nurse in the UK and cover around 20 schools, I am a G grade. Will I have to drop my pay when I come over? I have almost completed a post grad diploma in community nursing - school nurse strand. I do have two years experience as a community staff nurse in the uk, but want to work with children in Aus. Thanks. Debbie
Old Apr 10th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
How longs a piece of string Paul...if we get visa stamped this summer gives us 4 1/2 years to get there . But hope we are there end of this year beginning of next.

Depends on house jobs etc.....and nerve.... :scared: :scared: :scared: .

I meant when are you going on holiday, to get your visa stamped. This summer I take it?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 4:50 pm
ad4ozz

Getting it stamped this summer in case house doesn't sell and if it does the holiday flights can allways be changed to one way.

Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:06 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coxdebra
Sarah, do you work as a community nurse ? Who are you employed by? I am a school nurse in the UK and cover around 20 schools, I am a G grade. Will I have to drop my pay when I come over? I have almost completed a post grad diploma in community nursing - school nurse strand. I do have two years experience as a community staff nurse in the uk, but want to work with children in Aus. Thanks. Debbie
Hi Debbie

Yes I am a community nurse (well providing I get through the probation) I work for RDNS in the southern area of Adelaide.

You will probably take a drop in pay coming out here but Go Matilda's guide to wages is approx 70% of uk wage puts you on the same level as uk. For me I did not want to work as a senior nurse as I wanted time to adjust to the environment, culture and get a grasp of how to access services over here. Frustrating at times but for me it was the right thing. I have never worked in the community before and I am sure the adjustment would be easier for those who have. But I am enjoying mon-fri 8-4.30 weekends plus bank holidays off. OK it means no unsocial pay but then its nice to have social hours. Community nursing where I am working covers the full age range plus mental health. I am not aware of child speciality in Adelaide in the community but I expect it is their somewhere.

Sarah
Old Apr 15th 2005, 1:33 am
ad4ozz

Question Re: Hospitals/Community

Did they ask for all your UK courses and is there any UK courses they especially liked you to have?

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:08 am
Just Joined

jellyhead8000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kentcoast
Its not that easy to get into a home. For residential care as it is known in the uk (hostel over here) you have to buy your way in then pay fees on top. Plus you have to be assessed as needing care. You will find plenty of clients at home and the services they receive will not be what you are used to either. Just one example I have gentleman on my round early 90's has a bedridden wife mid 90's he is main carer but needs my input to stay at home. Wife is only entitled to hygiene care three times times per week (she is doubly incontinent day and night needs changing up to 5 times during the night) but they can't get any extra help. I have looked into this. Continence produces are not provided here free of charge as they would be for her in the uk the best you can hope for is to purchase through a discounted scheme. It is an eye opener when you first arrive but just step back and look at what is happening and the problems with an over stretched uk service and may be it will help you get some perspective in your early days of working here. I know my thoughts for the first few weeks where what have we done I don't want to get old here.

What type of 'vetrans' facilities are you refering to? As if these are war vetrans it will be a different service to non war vetrans. War vets have a completely different care structure and can access care in a different way to the rest of the elderly population.

Sarah
Hi Sarah, if its difficult to get into a home, and expensive to afford a community nurse (previous threads suggesting clients had to stop services), where do the patients go to? We're having problems finding Community jobs advertised - please God don't say I'll have to go into a hospital!!!!! Jill
Old Apr 16th 2005, 3:55 pm
ad4ozz

Going back into hospital is a deadly sin for community nurses continue the hunt something will crop up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.