Hi, advice needed please!

Old May 23rd 2008, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Location: London for now!!! Hopefully someone else by Christmas 2010!
NurseLulabell is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hi, advice needed please!

Firstly hi, i came across this site a coupla days ago after deciding that i was definitely going to move to Perth to work at Christmas 2009, which is 10months after i qualify as an adult nurse.

I just have a few questions if anyone can help at all?

1) What are the hospitals like in Perth?

2)Would you recommend going through an agency? And if so which ones?

3) My best friend wants to come also, however she is a qualified Occupational Therapist. Do you have these posts in Oz and will she be accepted on this? She has already spent a year in Oz so would definitely need the 5 year visa, does that mean she has to stay the whole 5 years?

I have had a thorough look through the forum's on here, but cant seem to find the answers for these queries. Help please!!!
Old May 24th 2008, 3:52 am
Just Joined

GeeW will become famous soon enoughGeeW will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hi, advice needed please!

Hi, I'm feeling the same as you, lots of Q's and need lots of A's! Im moving to Sydney this year (hopefully October) and don't really know where to start with job hunting. Had a few replies on here but still unsure, I don't know about going with an agency because I don't want any ties to them (or pay them lots of money!). I really want to look forward and get excited but it seems a bit of a black hole sometimes! Hope you get somewhere! What field of nursing do you think you wanna do when you qualify?
Georgie
Old May 24th 2008, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Hey GeeW,
thanks for replying! Yeah it alll seems a bit daunting at the moment, i know its still kinda early days for when i want to go but there's sooo much to organise and think about!
I'm not sure on which area for certain yet-i love them all! Eventually i want to work in palliative care but would like to get some general experience first so was thinking of elderly or just a general ward.
How bout u? Which uni are u at?
xx
Old May 24th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

claz403 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Your friend should be able to go to Australia on a skilled migrant visa (the same sort of visa you can go on) as Occupational Therapists are on the Skilled Occupation List (ie, Australia is desperate for them) .
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/index.htm
Old May 25th 2008, 1:05 am
Just Joined

GeeW will become famous soon enoughGeeW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by NurseLulabell
Hey GeeW,
thanks for replying! Yeah it alll seems a bit daunting at the moment, i know its still kinda early days for when i want to go but there's sooo much to organise and think about!
I'm not sure on which area for certain yet-i love them all! Eventually i want to work in palliative care but would like to get some general experience first so was thinking of elderly or just a general ward.
How bout u? Which uni are u at?
xx
Hi again! I went to uni in Northampton, qualified nealry 2 years ago, I love the job I'm doing now so hope I can get something similar out there (cardiology) but I'll settle for general medicine if not as I did when I first qualified, I think it gives you the best start, jump in the deep end but learn blimin quick! I'm sure your friend will get work fine, seems like all skilled people are on the list.
Also, just to let you know i'm not sat at home on this saturday night, i'm working night shifts!! Take care x
Old May 25th 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claz403
Hi,
Your friend should be able to go to Australia on a skilled migrant visa (the same sort of visa you can go on) as Occupational Therapists are on the Skilled Occupation List (ie, Australia is desperate for them) .
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/index.htm

Thanks for ur help Claz, that's a big relief!!

Originally Posted by GeeW
Hi again! I went to uni in Northampton, qualified nealry 2 years ago, I love the job I'm doing now so hope I can get something similar out there (cardiology) but I'll settle for general medicine if not as I did when I first qualified, I think it gives you the best start, jump in the deep end but learn blimin quick! I'm sure your friend will get work fine, seems like all skilled people are on the list.
Also, just to let you know i'm not sat at home on this saturday night, i'm working night shifts!! Take care x
Hey GeeW, as i'm spending the bank holiday weekend doing essays and exam revision, even if u were sitting at home on a sat night i wouldn't say anything!! Hope ur nights are going okay, do u work near Northampton now then? My folks live like an hour away, so i know it well.
Old May 26th 2008, 7:28 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

in answer to your Q2, you can go through an agency but will find they set the salary. you can apply direct to the various hospitals in perth - there was an ad in nursing standard in the last 4/6 weeks from the wa gov advertising for nurses ...

http://www.rcnbulletinjobs.co.uk/pag...=1&JobID=10097

may suit geew more than you, but send them your cv anyway,

sue
Old May 26th 2008, 7:32 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

knew id seen an ad for general too ...

http://www.rcnbulletinjobs.co.uk/pag...e=3&JobID=9731

the closing date for those posts is the 28th may, but may be worth dropping her an email with a brief outline of your plans to express interest ... they seem to do regular recruitment sweeps anyway so no harm in trying

sue

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; May 26th 2008 at 7:34 am.
Old May 26th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

claz403 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, are you waiting to go at Christmas 2009 because you need experience before you go? If so, it's possible you could get onto a graduate program for a year (there are a few people on this site who have gone straight from graduating to an Australian graduate nurse program), if you wanted to go earlier?
http://www.nursingwa.com.au/content/...FO%20(WEB).pdf
Old May 26th 2008, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the tip, i would love to go earlier but thought it would be best to pay off all my uni debts first so i can go with a clean slate, hence the wait. if not i'd be on my way the day ater qualifying!!!