health visitor!?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

dani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant future
Question health visitor!?

just wondering if anyone can help...

already sent off skills assessment stuff to ANMAC and partner has sent his to TRA..
i have just started a new job training to be a Health Visitor in the UK, which is one year full time..

Do Australia recognise Health Visitor qualifications?
I have heard the closest job to a health visitor out there is a Child and Family Health nurse..

if anyone is in a similar situation or can shed some light on this for me, it would be much appreciated

Many Thanks,

Dani
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

HelenHV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: health visitor!?

Originally Posted by dani5
just wondering if anyone can help...

already sent off skills assessment stuff to ANMAC and partner has sent his to TRA..
i have just started a new job training to be a Health Visitor in the UK, which is one year full time..

Do Australia recognise Health Visitor qualifications?
I have heard the closest job to a health visitor out there is a Child and Family Health nurse..

if anyone is in a similar situation or can shed some light on this for me, it would be much appreciated

Many Thanks,

Dani
Hi Dani, I'm a Health Visitor, Practice teacher and originlly a Childrens nurse. I'm really keen to move to oz but also can't find if my HV qualification is recognised in Oz. Have you made in progress?

Helen
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

dani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant futuredani5 has a brilliant future

hi helen,

i have made no progress at all! the only thing ive heard is that a child and family health nurse is the closest occupation to a health visitor in Oz..

im not sure if the qualifications are recognised or if having them is rewarded in any way over there..

there doesnt seem to be many posts and its hard to get any response about it.. i will keep you posted!! have you started the process?

Dani
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

hi helen,

i have made no progress at all! the only thing ive heard is that a child and family health nurse is the closest occupation to a health visitor in Oz..

im not sure if the qualifications are recognised or if having them is rewarded in any way over there..

there doesnt seem to be many posts and its hard to get any response about it.. i will keep you posted!! have you started the process?

Dani
Hi Dani
Im probably not much help but here goes:
We definitely don't have Health Visitors in QLD but we do have Family and Child Health Nurses which is probably as close as you'll get. They work with mums and babies once Midwifery services cease....... development checks, immunisations, breast feeding support ect. Not sure if your HV qualification is directly transferable but I will ask at work. There is a 'Child Health Nurse' course which is degree based and recognised as a second qualification just like health visiting. You get an additional payment as recognition of working with 2 qualifications. You would apply for migration based on your RN qualification and then look for jobs in Child Health. Even if you had to 'officially' do the Child Health course you could probably use your HV qualification as 'prior learning' and therefore complete it very quickly.
I will ask about whether it is directly transferable and let you know.

Alison - Midwife
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Alison,

Thank you so much for your reply - that is the most useful thing anyone has said to me!
i have heard about the Family and Child Health Nurse role but did not know much about qualifications, recognition etc.. but that is positive to know that you need to gain a degree based qualification in Australia to work in this area.. fingers crossed they will recognise my qualification..
I would really appreciate it if you could find out for me, thank you so much!

how are you finding the midwifery out there?

Dani x
Old Jan 24th 2012, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Dani

Just wrote a great long reply and it didn't post ...... now gone into the ether ...... grwwwwwwww !!
Will write it again tomorrow and hopefully I will also have an answer to the HV question for you as well xx

Alison
Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

thanks alison, it means so much!! xx
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

HelenHV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Dani and sorry I've not replied sooner. Life is good at getting hectic.

Also thank you Alison the information you gave Dani looks really helpful.

Dani have you seen this conversation.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4&goto=newpost

I've not yet applied to have my registration checked. I was trying to work out how much it costs?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Helen,

just had a look at that conversation which looks positive... hopefully it wont be too difficult to find community nursing jobs although im guessing like here, they are in demand?!
it is so difficult to try and work things out when you're on the other side of the world..
what visa are you applying for?
we are planning to apply for the 175 but at the minute waiting for skills assessment to come back from anmac..

Dani x
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lambz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Helen,

just had a look at that conversation which looks positive... hopefully it wont be too difficult to find community nursing jobs although im guessing like here, they are in demand?!
it is so difficult to try and work things out when you're on the other side of the world..
what visa are you applying for?
we are planning to apply for the 175 but at the minute waiting for skills assessment to come back from anmac..

Dani x
hi everyone;
Like you Dani, Im on the HV course as well. i complete eraly next year. Wanted to find out how you got on. i am an RMN, so i dont know if they will even recognis the HV course together with mental health stuff. I met an Aussie Lady here, who was delivering MECSH programme- Essex is one of the UK pilots and she said that in NSW- she's from the Uni there, they do recognise our qualification. so heres to hoping.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lambz
hi everyone;
Like you Dani, Im on the HV course as well. i complete eraly next year. Wanted to find out how you got on. i am an RMN, so i dont know if they will even recognis the HV course together with mental health stuff. I met an Aussie Lady here, who was delivering MECSH programme- Essex is one of the UK pilots and she said that in NSW- she's from the Uni there, they do recognise our qualification. so heres to hoping.

I have just completed my Health Visiting course. Have a full time job starting in Jan 2013.. we are full steam ahead with our visa plans and have our medicals in a few weeks.. the plan is to head out to Oz late next year so we will see..!
as far as health visiting goes, i am not much further on apart from that it will be worth applying for child and family health nurse jobs?! it is difficult to find anything out.. thanks for letting me know about NSW.. interesting!! is that where you are hoping to go?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lambz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just completed my Health Visiting course. Have a full time job starting in Jan 2013.. we are full steam ahead with our visa plans and have our medicals in a few weeks.. the plan is to head out to Oz late next year so we will see..!
as far as health visiting goes, i am not much further on apart from that it will be worth applying for child and family health nurse jobs?! it is difficult to find anything out.. thanks for letting me know about NSW.. interesting!! is that where you are hoping to go?

Hello,
I am going to go wherever i can get a job. I am tempted to submit my docs to AHPRA using just my mental health registration then add the SCPHN stuff to it later. I am planning to submit in early January, I only qualify as a SCPHN in the summer, so ive got time. plus, i have a bubba on the way as well.

NSW definitely do have child and family health nurses, so go ahead and apply for those jobs, I'm sure youll be fine. Let us know how you get on. :f ingerscrossed:
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over to Melbourne 8 years ago and looked into this. I am RN trained and was a qualified health visitor in the UK. I was very disappointed to find that in Victoria, to register as a child and family health nurse, you have to be midwife qualified - which I'm not. I even looked into doing midwifery but really didn't want to so decided against that. I think each state is different though so it may depend where you're going. I took a job district nursing instead and have to say I really enjoy it, more than I used to enjoy the health visiting. So sometimes things force us in a certain direction for a reason! Good luck to those of you planning the move.