have you moved with a job lined up or hoped for the best?

Old Jun 21st 2009, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice
Default have you moved with a job lined up or hoped for the best?

Moving across the world is pretty nerve wrecking ion itself, but it would take even stronger nerves to do so without going into a certain job. I wonder how many of you made the move hoping that ' something' would turn up' or how many managed to secure a job beforehand. How quickly did you find a job after applying? Days/ weeks/ months???
Did you move to where the jobs where or did you find a job in the place of your choice?
We are drawn between Adelaide- where more jobs are advertised- and the Central Coast, where I can't find any! ( MHN)
I know some people ' risk' it and move and then hope to find something, but we couldn't afford to do that as our finances are meager as it is!

MR Ozbaz
Old Jun 21st 2009, 11:46 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: have you moved with a job lined up or hoped for the best?

Hi Ozbaz,

I trained in Aus after moving, and have this year started as a new grad mental health nurse in NSW. I cannot offer much advice about work in Adelaide, but there is work to be had in NSW as a MHN.

The following website gives you info on nursing on the Central Coast/North Sydney http://www.nursinginsydney.com.au/ and this one http://www7.health.nsw.gov.au/health...lt.cfm?ID=1233 is the database for all available NSW Health jobs.

Living on the Central Coast it would enable you to work in many different facilities - including in Sydney and Newcastle, if you didn't mind a commute. If you are interested in Forensic work, the new Forensic Hospital in Sydney are looking for staff - see http://www.jobsatjusticehealth.com.au/ or http://www.mentalhealthjobs.fi/

In my experience, facilities do not always advertise available posts and sometimes the managers know staff are leaving but cant advertise until they actually go - so contact them directly and ask about jobs.

As for making the decision about where to go, when I was looking for a job I was advised to decide on where I wanted to live and then look for a job - that way, even if you end up hating the job, you still are in a place you like. I think they were wise words indeed.

Hope all goes well for you. Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

S
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:13 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozbaz
Moving across the world is pretty nerve wrecking ion itself, but it would take even stronger nerves to do so without going into a certain job. I wonder how many of you made the move hoping that ' something' would turn up' or how many managed to secure a job beforehand. How quickly did you find a job after applying? Days/ weeks/ months???
Did you move to where the jobs where or did you find a job in the place of your choice?
We are drawn between Adelaide- where more jobs are advertised- and the Central Coast, where I can't find any! ( MHN)
I know some people ' risk' it and move and then hope to find something, but we couldn't afford to do that as our finances are meager as it is!

MR Ozbaz
Hi I'm a RMN and migrated to Perth 3 years in October. There is loads of work RMN's here. I didn't have a job when we arrived but had secured work within 6 weeks (and I wanted 5 months off). Agency work is well paid and easily obtained. It will also give you the flexibility of checking areas out before commiting to a job. Just do it!!!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

mollyb is an unknown quantity at this point

MR Ozbaz
Hi Ozbaz, our plan was for my OH to have work lined up in the ambulance service in Perth and then I would find work once we knew his base. I'm a MHN. We plan to be there in September but the ambo service have put recruitment on hold and we don't know when this will be lifted. We still intend to go (I think!) and take a risk that everything will fall into place. I know this is a bit of a risk and I'm pretty anxious at the moment

From what I've read there are plenty of jobs out there for MH nurses, and at least you can have a look around once there before deciding. Good luck,
Mollyb.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

You are obviously a brave lot ! Mrs Ozbaz would probably take a risk as well, I am the cautious one ! But have to say, you make it sound easy...juts go and things will fall into place! We still have plenty of time to sort things out , and I have seen a few jobs advertised online . Its good advice to pick the area first and then look for a job so at least you like where you live ! In moments of panic I have considered going anywhere just to have a job! ( Looked at Katherine ..OMG!)
I suppose the times when a job was offered to a yet- to - emigrate- nurse and kept open for a few months are over in current climate ?
Anyway, I feel a little more positive after reading your posts, so thanks

Ozbaz
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:09 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

MR Ozbaz
Originally Posted by mollyb
Hi Ozbaz, our plan was for my OH to have work lined up in the ambulance service in Perth and then I would find work once we knew his base. I'm a MHN. We plan to be there in September but the ambo service have put recruitment on hold and we don't know when this will be lifted. We still intend to go (I think!) and take a risk that everything will fall into place. I know this is a bit of a risk and I'm pretty anxious at the moment

From what I've read there are plenty of jobs out there for MH nurses, and at least you can have a look around once there before deciding. Good luck,
Mollyb.

http://www.jobs.wa.gov.au/

Have a look here for jobs in WA health service
Old Jun 29th 2009, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice

double cautious here !!!

applied 175

then paniced and thought get a job so cotacted units directly

then got offered a job on 457

next news as all the 457 is going thro we get a CO for the 175

still will take the job offered, i did a lot of research of where i wanted to work and only applied to them jobs, i was very lucky and the first one offered me a job

everybody is different, for us, we have 3 kids so we needed to ensure someone would have a job asap

hope it works out for you, wat ever you do

suzie, gaz & clan
xx