Filipino doctor married to an EU permanent resident

Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Rymare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filipino doctor married to an EU permanent resident

Hello! I'm Mary, and I'm a postgraduate physician and Internal Medicine Diplomate in the Philippines. I married an EU citizen who has been settled in London for about 10 years now. Since we will be settling in London, I have applied for a spouse visa (which I read has a validity period of 2.5 years). Is it possible for me to apply for the GMC registration and take PLAB given this spouse visa status? I am very much desirous of continuing my practice even though I am no longer in the Philippines.

Much regards,
Mary
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filipino doctor married to an EU permanent resident

If you have an EU spouse then applying for a spouse visa was a waste of money I’m afraid as you could join them for free using an EEA Family Permit.

There aren’t any restrictions on work for either visa.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you have an EU spouse then applying for a spouse visa was a waste of money I’m afraid as you could join them for free using an EEA Family Permit.

There aren’t any restrictions on work for either visa.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​Indeed? I need to look into that more. I was very much preoccupied with my readings on the different types of visa. My hubby was the one who recommended the Spouse visa (perhaps he didn't know about the other option?) I read the details on the Spouse visa on the government website and believed that it was the most applicable one to me.
I asked also for assistance at the UK embassy I applied in and they did not give me much input, and did not also offer the EEA Family Permit.

It's all done now I guess. But thank you very much for answering my query.
Old Aug 26th 2019, 3:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Has your visa been granted? Does your husband have permanent residence or settled status?
Old Aug 26th 2019, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Has your visa been granted? Does your husband have permanent residence or settled status?
Not yet. I applied just 2 weeks ago and it usually takes a 3 weeks to a full month for them to process it here.
Yes I believe he has a permanent residence but he only got his recently also.
​​​​​​I've been reading now on the EEA family permit and I surmise this will not apply to a person with settled status, am I correct?
Old Aug 26th 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Rymare
Not yet. I applied just 2 weeks ago and it usually takes a 3 weeks to a full month for them to process it here.
Yes I believe he has a permanent residence but he only got his recently also.
​​​​​​I've been reading now on the EEA family permit and I surmise this will not apply to a person with settled status, am I correct?
It will do. In fact it’s easier to obtain for you, the non-EEA spouse, if your EEA spouse has permanent residence or settled status, at least until 31 October.