Feeling A Bit Deflated

Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

DickDePilot is on a distinguished road
Default Feeling A Bit Deflated

Went to the Expo in Leeds today. OH spoke with the reps from Mater and Ramsay Healthbut didn't receive a lot of encouragement from them. She's over 22 years experience but works on the district team. We understand that the nursing structure in Oz is different and she wasn't expecting to find any district posts but they appeared to have little/no interest in taking on someone who isn't working/recent on a ward. Call me naive but if someone is spends their working day working autonimously without the immediate back up of a crash team or doctor doesn't that show that they have a little bit of 'something about them'? Their advice was to get back onto a ward for at least 12 months before applying. Has anyone else fom a community/district background found this to be the case?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:09 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feeling A Bit Deflated

Originally Posted by DickDePilot
Went to the Expo in Leeds today. OH spoke with the reps from Mater and Ramsay Healthbut didn't receive a lot of encouragement from them. She's over 22 years experience but works on the district team. We understand that the nursing structure in Oz is different and she wasn't expecting to find any district posts but they appeared to have little/no interest in taking on someone who isn't working/recent on a ward. Call me naive but if someone is spends their working day working autonimously without the immediate back up of a crash team or doctor doesn't that show that they have a little bit of 'something about them'? Their advice was to get back onto a ward for at least 12 months before applying. Has anyone else fom a community/district background found this to be the case?
Hi
they don't want initiative as they don't like it here, you have to do what the Dr tells you to do
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:44 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by asher
Hi
they don't want initiative as they don't like it here, you have to do what the Dr tells you to do
Thats true.I have never seen so much pandering to doctors in my life before coming over here!
I too have over 20 years experience (in theatre) and have found it very difficult over here to fit in.Your experience counts for nothing...in fact the rest of the staff are threatened by it i feel.You have to prove yourself.I feel i am being "set up for a fall" on a daily basis.I have never felt like this before in the UK.Its very different over here.
In answer to your query though - there are people who have come over straight from the district and got jobs over here.It doesnt make any sense for your OH to go back on the wards after so long on community especially if thats what they want to do over here.
By the way,i was employed by Ramsey.
Good luck to you all.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Feeling A Bit Deflated

Originally Posted by DickDePilot
WELCOME TO AUSTRALIA !!!!
You can't move here and expect them to appreciate your experience.If you get pissed off with it now , wait until you're looking for jobs !!
It's the same in every area, UK nurses are generally more autonomous and experienced than their counterparts and for that reason, find it very hard and "challenging" adapting to the role of hand maiden. BUT, the sun shines nearly every day !!! Think about why you want to move and SERIOUSLY consider how much an unsatisfactory job and lack of respect for your experience will impact on your personal life. If you can ignore it and adapt and remember you are "LIVING THE DREAM !!" You'll be fine !!
All the best !
Tass.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:30 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dreams of Oz
Thats true.I have never seen so much pandering to doctors in my life before coming over here!
I too have over 20 years experience (in theatre) and have found it very difficult over here to fit in.Your experience counts for nothing...in fact the rest of the staff are threatened by it i feel.You have to prove yourself.I feel i am being "set up for a fall" on a daily basis.I have never felt like this before in the UK.Its very different over here.
In answer to your query though - there are people who have come over straight from the district and got jobs over here.It doesnt make any sense for your OH to go back on the wards after so long on community especially if thats what they want to do over here.
By the way,i was employed by Ramsey.
Good luck to you all.

youll get used to it babe and as the saying goes 'what doesnt kill ya, makes ya stronger', i too felt like you, my confidence was shot to bits for about the first 12 months here (after over 20 yrs in theatre), but now if anyone and i mean anyone medical or nursing staff steps on my toes i BITE back

Last edited by Margaret3; Oct 21st 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:34 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by asher
Hi
leave your common sense and ability in the u.k and you'll be fine, just talk aload of shite in a loud voice and you'll go far
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Zana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really niceZana is just really nice

Oh god! Didn't see that one coming! Thanks for the warning. I'll practice my subdued pose and cut on critical thinking, then!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Zana
Oh god! Didn't see that one coming! Thanks for the warning. I'll practice my subdued pose and cut on critical thinking, then!

a little curtsy for the docs wont go wrong either
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:50 am
A roo in my top paddock!

Dreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of lightDreams of Oz is a glorious beacon of light

I just cant do it.I am so not used to having to ask to do anything.I like being autonomous and having a bit of responsibility but here i am made to feel like a novice....and the thing is im beginning to act like one too!!
Its so frustrating!
The other day i was told that a woman post op after a spinal c section had to be nil by mouth for 6 hours post op.When i asked why and did they have any evidence to say that this was good practice i was told "Look , ive stopped asking...we ve always done it this way.Its what the doctors want!"
I really dont want to get that way.
I wonder if its any different in the public sector...i work in the private sector you see.Maybe not!!
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Feeling A Bit Deflated

Originally Posted by Margaret3
a little curtsy for the docs wont go wrong either
LOL!!! ..........and a brow mop !!!