English language

Old Oct 1st 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Twos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant future
Default English language

Question 30 of the 175 application asks for evidence of english.

As a british citizen we do not need to provide any evidence do we?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Verndownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English language

Originally Posted by Twos Company
Question 30 of the 175 application asks for evidence of english.

As a british citizen we do not need to provide any evidence do we?
Hi

As a british citizen you can get 15 points from passport.

But if you want the full 25 points you have to sit IELTS test.

Were pondering on whether to sit the test for the extra points - coming up to 40 and will loose 5 points, trying to make them back up.

Good luck

Tracey
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Twos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant futureTwos Company has a brilliant future

Cheers Tracey
Good luck with your application
Jim
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Jim

I Sent my O level English language certificate just to be sure !
Then again, I sent a lot of stuff just to be sure - lol !!!

Alison xx
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Suuz will become famous soon enoughSuuz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Verndownunder
Hi

As a british citizen you can get 15 points from passport.

But if you want the full 25 points you have to sit IELTS test.

Were pondering on whether to sit the test for the extra points - coming up to 40 and will loose 5 points, trying to make them back up.

Good luck

Tracey
Hi Tracey

Hope you don't mind me butting in but do you know if, in order to get 25 points, which test do you sit, the general or academic?

Suuz
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

chasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant future

Hi Suuz
If you need the extra points for your visa application it's the GENERAL test you need to sit. I'm doing mine in 2 weeks time as I only have 115 points without it! The academic test is if you need to sit an IELTS test for skills assessment purposes (ie if you didn't do you nurse training in th UK)
Hope this helps
Mags
x
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chasingthedream
Hi Suuz
If you need the extra points for your visa application it's the GENERAL test you need to sit. I'm doing mine in 2 weeks time as I only have 115 points without it! The academic test is if you need to sit an IELTS test for skills assessment purposes (ie if you didn't do you nurse training in th UK)
Hope this helps
Mags
x
Thanks for that Mags, it really does help. It was getting very confusing. As I did my training in UK and already have my Letter of Determination from ANMC I am going to sit the General test. What a problem getting a place on a test day. I have to call the IELT testing place at 4.30 today to see if I have been successful in securing a slot. Had to courier my application form to them as they won't accept a booking by phone and what with the postal strike it has been stressful to say the least. Hopefully, like you, I will be sitting the test on the 20th. Think I will try and get some practise material before then.

Thanks again, Suuz x
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Suuz
Thanks for that Mags, it really does help. It was getting very confusing. As I did my training in UK and already have my Letter of Determination from ANMC I am going to sit the General test. What a problem getting a place on a test day. I have to call the IELT testing place at 4.30 today to see if I have been successful in securing a slot. Had to courier my application form to them as they won't accept a booking by phone and what with the postal strike it has been stressful to say the least. Hopefully, like you, I will be sitting the test on the 20th. Think I will try and get some practise material before then.

Thanks again, Suuz x
P.S See you are in Aberdeen, I am in Highland - where you sitting your test?
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

chasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant futurechasingthedream has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Suuz
P.S See you are in Aberdeen, I am in Highland - where you sitting your test?
Hi Suuz
I'm taking my test in Edinburgh. The 1st test date in Aberdeen wasn't till December, and I wanted it done before then, so I'm off to Edinburgh for the day! Which test center are you going to? Did you manage to get the 20th then?
So you have your letter of Determination from ANMC? How long did it take for you to get yours? I just sent my skills assessment off on the 28th of Sept. It's been signed for, but still no acknowledgment yet, and payment's not off my credit card yet. Think the average is about 8 weeks before a letter of determination is sent, so I've got a bit of a wait ahead! Yes, I'll have to do a bit of swatting up on my spelling, etc before hand!
Mags
x

Twos Company - Sorry for hijacking your thread!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chasingthedream
Hi Suuz
I'm taking my test in Edinburgh. The 1st test date in Aberdeen wasn't till December, and I wanted it done before then, so I'm off to Edinburgh for the day! Which test center are you going to? Did you manage to get the 20th then?
So you have your letter of Determination from ANMC? How long did it take for you to get yours? I just sent my skills assessment off on the 28th of Sept. It's been signed for, but still no acknowledgment yet, and payment's not off my credit card yet. Think the average is about 8 weeks before a letter of determination is sent, so I've got a bit of a wait ahead! Yes, I'll have to do a bit of swatting up on my spelling, etc before hand!
Mags
x

Twos Company - Sorry for hijacking your thread!
Hi Mags

Will be in Sunderland as, like you, didn't want to wait till December. Got the last place for 20th. Don't mind the journey as long as I get it done. My skills assessment took about 12 weeks but they contacted me and asked for further information, i.e. more detailed work reference so that took a couple of weeks. I got my Letter of D back in April, but from what I read on this site, seems to have quickened up a bit. Don't worry, you think it's never going to arrive and then all of sudden it comes.

Suuz x
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

I did not have any evidence of my English language competency (such as exam results) I was advised to get a letter from my school to prove I was in the school system. Unfortunately the school did not have records that far back (I'm 43) so I had to go to the local council archives department and get a copy of school ledger for the day I entered and exited school (middle or senior school will do) and then take it back to the school and have the headmaster write me a letter stating when I began and finished school. The school did not charge me for this, but I gave them a donation for 'school funds'.
A long way round the problem, but easier than sitting exams.

Good luck Sara
Old Oct 24th 2007, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sara W
I did not have any evidence of my English language competency (such as exam results) I was advised to get a letter from my school to prove I was in the school system. Unfortunately the school did not have records that far back (I'm 43) so I had to go to the local council archives department and get a copy of school ledger for the day I entered and exited school (middle or senior school will do) and then take it back to the school and have the headmaster write me a letter stating when I began and finished school. The school did not charge me for this, but I gave them a donation for 'school funds'.
A long way round the problem, but easier than sitting exams.

Good luck Sara
Sarah,
if you are applying for PR visa, a letter from your Headmaster will not be sufficient enough to prove your competency in English Language.
If you need extra points for the Visa you will have to sit the ielts test.
If you are a British Passport holder you gain 15 points - to get the 20 points (if you need them) you do need to sit the test.
Sorry if I have put a dampener on it!!
x
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sara W is on a distinguished road

Hi Charlie,

I'm going on a 137 state sponsored visa so don't need the full 120 points, I sent off visa app' in May and have only been asked for Meds & police checks, they're in now so it's just down to the waiting.
Still I can't help keeping my fingers crossed that everything is in order.

Sara W
Old Oct 24th 2007, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sara W
Hi Charlie,

I'm going on a 137 state sponsored visa so don't need the full 120 points, I sent off visa app' in May and have only been asked for Meds & police checks, they're in now so it's just down to the waiting.
Still I can't help keeping my fingers crossed that everything is in order.

Sara W
Great stuff.
If your Meds and Police Checks are done it really is just down to waiting.
It sounds cut and dried.
Good Luck - I'm sure you don't need it though.
x