Do nurses require a degree to work in Australia

Old Dec 23rd 2016, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Jurgenwindcaller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do nurses require a degree to work in Australia

Hi, I would be very grateful if someone can clear some things up for me. My partner and I are looking to travel to Australia as a working holiday, she is an aged care nurse with a diploma and has been a staff nurse in a hospital in the UK for the last four years. Apparently she needs to top up to a degree to work in Australia but she is worried that she won't pass because she has to write a dissertation and the course doesn't start until September and costs £4000. Could anyone tell us if we have any other options. Thanks
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do nurses require a degree to work in Australia

Yes to meet registration requirements you need a degree and their is no wiggle room on that. New Zealand on the other hand do take cases individually and base decisions on qualifications and post grad experiences if you were interested
Old Dec 27th 2016, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Your partner could always get alternative work maybe in a care home as an assistant or something completely different. You can only work for an employer for a maximum of 6 months on a WHV anyway as the whole point of it is to travel, picking up temporary work to fund the holiday. Loads of people just get an RSA, or RSF and do bar and restaurant work or pick up shop/office work while they're here x
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Nursestats is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife could work as an enrolled nurse without a degree and then do a bridging course while over in Australia to enable her to be eligible to register
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursestats
Your wife could work as an enrolled nurse without a degree and then do a bridging course while over in Australia to enable her to be eligible to register
The first requirement is to get a visa and an enrolled nurse would not be eligible.

She could move on her husband's visa if he is eligible.

I am also not sure that a UK diploma trained nurse could work as an enrolled nurse in Australia...as I said on another thread I have never heard of that happening, although it may be posible, and I would want to have that confirmed by an application to AHPRA and not believe it simply because someone told me on the phone.

Edit: I see that the OP wants to travel on a WHV. There is, of course, nothing to stop them doing that but you can not work as a nurse, in any capacity, unless registered by AHPRA....and that would be the difficult bit.

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 1st 2017 at 8:48 am.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Nursestats is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
The first requirement is to get a visa and an enrolled nurse would not be eligible.

She could move on her husband's visa if he is eligible.

I am also not sure that a UK diploma trained nurse could work as an enrolled nurse in Australia...as I said on another thread I have never heard of that happening, although it may be posible, and I would want to have that confirmed by an application to AHPRA and not believe it simply because someone told me on the phone.

Edit: I see that the OP wants to travel on a WHV. There is, of course, nothing to stop them doing that but you can not work as a nurse, in any capacity, unless registered by AHPRA....and that would be the difficult bit.
According to AHPRA that's exactly what you can do...work as an enrolled nurse and undertake further study to become registered
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nursestats
According to AHPRA that's exactly what you can do...work as an enrolled nurse and undertake further study to become registered
You may be right, and I would be happy to be proved wrong,but I think you need to post a link to the AHPRA site which gives details of this.

It isn't something I have come across.

You need to have a diploma from an Australian approved course in order to enrol.

I am not sure if a UK diploma is acceptable.....but it may well be.

If you are going to post this information then you need to also post a link.

Regardless, you still need a visa to work in Australia and you will not get one as an Enrolled Nurse.

This link may help clarify....or not!

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...uirements.aspx

Last edited by Grayling; Jan 1st 2017 at 11:12 am.