British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Do I really have to do an English Test for ANMAC?!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/do-i-really-have-do-english-test-anmac-848050/)

jessiebeeee Dec 1st 2014 9:03 am

Do I really have to do an English Test for ANMAC?!!

I am currently starting the process for my Australian Nursing registration. Before I can even start the online process it is asking for my IELTS/OET certificate. I looked on the Australian Nursing board website and they say that the just require proof that your education was conducted in English. However as you have to be passed by ANMAC, it looks like I have no choice but to take the test (which costs £140!). I contacted ANMAC about this, mentioning the australian nursing board requirements, but they just sent me a link to the FAQ, which says that everyone who isn't registered in Australia or NZ has to have taken one of those tests. Is this really the case? It seems pretty ridiculous!

Grayling Dec 1st 2014 9:24 am

Re: Do I really have to do an English Test for ANMAC?!!

Originally Posted by jessiebeeee (Post 11488903)
I am currently starting the process for my Australian Nursing registration. Before I can even start the online process it is asking for my IELTS/OET certificate. I looked on the Australian Nursing board website and they say that the just require proof that your education was conducted in English. However as you have to be passed by ANMAC, it looks like I have no choice but to take the test (which costs £140!). I contacted ANMAC about this, mentioning the australian nursing board requirements, but they just sent me a link to the FAQ, which says that everyone who isn't registered in Australia or NZ has to have taken one of those tests. Is this really the case? It seems pretty ridiculous!

Apart from the IELTS....do you have a degree qualification?

jessiebeeee Dec 1st 2014 9:40 am

Yes, I have a degree

Grayling Dec 1st 2014 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jessiebeeee (Post 11488929)
Yes, I have a degree

If your nursing qualification is a degree then you have jumped the first hurdle.

Now you just have to jump the rest and do what you are asked....it can be a prolonged process.

If they want you to pass an IELTS test then that's what you have to do....they make the rules....and seem to change them when it suits.

mgreaves Apr 2nd 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jessiebeeee (Post 11488903)

Hi I am just researching this for my partner who is a Nurse. ANMAC require an IELTS test for the full assessment, however you can skip this if you first register with AHPRA who for UK nurses require 5 years of education history. Once you register with AHPRA you can then apply through ANMAC under the modified assessment which does not require IELTS.

At least this is my understanding.

ZULU2000 Jun 1st 2015 8:59 am

@greaves I am of a similar understanding but have received conflicting information in regards to this ANMAC some please advise further..

mgreaves Jun 1st 2015 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ZULU2000 (Post 11662264)
@greaves I am of a similar understanding but have received conflicting information in regards to this ANMAC some please advise further..

We are still gatehring the paperwork before submitting the applications, but we have got a letter from both my partners school (which had closed down so getting this was hard!) and also AQA the examaning body both stating she studied for her secondery education exams from xx to xx and they were taught and assessed in English (wording as per AHPRAs webstie).

I have been told this is enough to meet the requirements to register with AHPRA.

Our plan is to register with AHPRA, and then you only need to submit a modified assessment with ANMAC which does not require any english tests.

Personally I have already sat the IELTS exam as my assessing body requires it (accounting), however my partner does not want to do this if she does not have to.

ZULU2000 Jun 1st 2015 10:04 am

Okay I have recently posted my Ahpra form out so will update as it happens on the thread I created.From what you are saying yes modified assessment will be pretty much favourable in my case too .
all the best with it all.

genorm Jun 2nd 2015 6:18 pm

Due to the new regulations, (where ANMAC require applicants to confirm they are eligible to be registered by AHPRA), I wouldn't even start the ANMAC process until I had my LOE from AHPRA.

Also, if you get a sponsored position, you don't need ANMAC.

ZULU2000 Jun 2nd 2015 7:29 pm

thanx @Genorm for the clarification.

mgreaves Jul 11th 2015 4:39 pm

So now we have submitted the AHPRA application I have been looking at the ANMAC element in more detail.

I have just found this on their website:
"If you hold current registration as a registered nurse with AHPRA your name will appear on AHPRA’s online public Register of Practitioners.
Please note, an eligibility letter from AHPRA is not evidence of registration."

Any ideas? Can you apply for an ANMAC modified assessment (and thus do not need IELTS) on a Letter of Eligibility from AHPRA, as the above wording seems to suggest not. I am sure I previously found you could!

Here is the bit from AHPRA regarding overseas nurses gaining registration, which leans towards a Letter of Eligibility rather than full registration:
"If the outcome of your application is registration, we will:
  • inform you by email if your residential address is in Australia, or
  • send you a letter of in principle approval of registration if you are currently living overseas and cannot meet the local ID requirements."

genorm Jul 12th 2015 9:19 am

Don't confuse AHPRA with ANMAC. They are two different organisations, with two different sets of criteria, for two different outcomes.

The prime example of this is if you obtain a 457 employer sponsored visa position, you need neither IELTS or ANMAC.

Your letter of eligibility is indeed NOT proof of registration. The proof of registration is only effected when you present to an AHPRA office in Australia and confirm your contact details. You have 12 months to do this from the date of the LOE.

ZULU2000 Jul 12th 2015 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by genorm (Post 11697521)
Don't confuse AHPRA with ANMAC. They are two different organisations, with two different sets of criteria, for two different outcomes.

The prime example of this is if you obtain a 457 employer sponsored visa position, you need neither IELTS or ANMAC.

Your letter of eligibility is indeed NOT proof of registration. The proof of registration is only effected when you present to an AHPRA office in Australia and confirm your contact details. You have 12 months to do this from the date of the LOE.

For clarification purposes but when employer applies 457 for employee the LOE is sufficient enough for the visa to be awarded then...

genorm Jul 12th 2015 8:11 pm

Yes - because the job offer is made on the condition that you will be registered before starting.

wc112 Nov 20th 2015 12:03 pm

When applying for the 189 visa... Must u have completed the academic IELTS exam, as I have completed the general exam having been told originally that this was acceptable.