Childrens community nurse

Old May 10th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

lyndseynpaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childrens community nurse

Hi there, this is my first thread on the site, just joined tonight.

I am a registered nurse and qualified as a RGN (adult).

For the past 2 years I have been working as a childrens community staff nurse in the UK.
Does anyone know if this type of job is available in Australia, particularly Brisbane area. My role supports the school nurses and health visitors in my team and includes delivery of health promotion in schools, childrens developmental checks, baby clinics etc

So far........ I have just applied to AMNC for skills assessment then plan to go down 175 visa route so me and my family (husband and 2 kids) can be independant.

Looking forward to any advice / ideas. Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:42 am
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Childrens community nurse

Hi Just noticed your post. I too am cosidering community jobs in Queensland. I am only qualified in Child health so am interested in where this qualification allows me to work in Queensland. Although I am presently based in A&E I coud do with change and would really consider any role if it allowed us to live in our chosen area (we are on a reccie trip this summer Byron Bay - Port Douglas/Mossman) Would love to hear where you are up to now and any advice you could offer.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

lyndseynpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stellios

We have applied for our visa online but have yet to receive a case officer. Whilst I occasionally look for jobs in and around Brisbane I have not done any serious searching. I will look seriously once I have the visa and know roughly when I would be able to begin employment.
I am not sure that the job i do in the UK exists in Oz, when a spoke to a lady from a health recruitment agency at an exhibition i went to last year she seemed to think my role was done by the midwifery service in Oz.
I am going to hold out as long as possible for a community role but may have to settle for hospital post as I believe these are much more in demand.
I will let you know of anything of interest regarding community nursing if I come across it.
Nice to hear from you, all the best with your application
Lyndsey
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:11 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Guys,
Welcome!
I am a qualified HV and have had dialogue with Nurse managers in QLD about opportunities in the community. I have been assured that the HV qualification can enable access to Child Health roles because of the Public Health similarities.
However, the downside is that the posts are not in abundance and you have to be fairly flexible about where you will work, and are also very popular within their own nurses career development plans - I have been a regular on 'Work for Us' and most vacancies arise for North/Central QLD rather than central/south which are more popular areas to relocate.
I am of the mind that I will need to get a 'foot in the door' and then aim to get the 'ideal' post.
I was advised not to make contact about posts until I was 3 months away from actually being ready to start work - I know from others who tried to secure community posts prior to leaving, were less successful than Acute counterpart.
Hope this helps - good luck!
Old May 3rd 2010, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I recently started a position in Community Health. From what I'm being told from co-workers, I am lucky to have gotten in because people get in and they don't leave. The reason why a position was available was because the lady I replaced retired.

Not trying to discourage, just wanting you to be prepared that it could be a wait to get a community position with QLD Health. Keep your eye on their website though because you never know when one might come up!

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2010, 7:44 am
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paularn
I recently started a position in Community Health. From what I'm being told from co-workers, I am lucky to have gotten in because people get in and they don't leave. The reason why a position was available was because the lady I replaced retired.

Not trying to discourage, just wanting you to be prepared that it could be a wait to get a community position with QLD Health. Keep your eye on their website though because you never know when one might come up!

Good luck.
Congrats on new job - are you enjoying it?
I have heard exactly that same that jobs are scare in this field - so I am defo of mind to come with an open mind and get those toes in that door in some way! And wait.......! I really beleive that you cannot waltz into a new country and swaffle all the best jobs - gotta climb that tree (again)!
Old May 3rd 2010, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

There are definitely childrens nurse jobs around Brisbane for North Brisbane these are advertised as Metro North Primary & Community Health under Healthier Childrens & Families. Go to google and put Queensland Health + Work For Us then look for the above.

Originally Posted by lyndseynpaul
Hi there, this is my first thread on the site, just joined tonight.

I am a registered nurse and qualified as a RGN (adult).

For the past 2 years I have been working as a childrens community staff nurse in the UK.
Does anyone know if this type of job is available in Australia, particularly Brisbane area. My role supports the school nurses and health visitors in my team and includes delivery of health promotion in schools, childrens developmental checks, baby clinics etc

So far........ I have just applied to AMNC for skills assessment then plan to go down 175 visa route so me and my family (husband and 2 kids) can be independant.

Looking forward to any advice / ideas. Thanks
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rahrah
Congrats on new job - are you enjoying it?
I have heard exactly that same that jobs are scare in this field - so I am defo of mind to come with an open mind and get those toes in that door in some way! And wait.......! I really beleive that you cannot waltz into a new country and swaffle all the best jobs - gotta climb that tree (again)!
Thank you

I've been there 3 weeks, so far so good. I do home visits to assess people (mainly elderly) for services they may need/require. See 1 (maybe 2) patient a day and rest of the time is in office. Monday-Friday day hours, no weekends, no public holidays, no shift work. Its perfect

Thats what I thought when I was looking for work, just need a foot in the door. I wasn't even going to apply for this job, but did and then thought that if they called for an interview, I wouldn't go. To think I could have missed out on a job that is difficult to get

Like you said, gotta start somewhere. Good luck!