child protection-theyre so far behind!!!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default child protection-theyre so far behind!!!!!

Recently started working in oz and am shocked and thats putting it mildly at how the child protection system works here (or should I say it doesnt). I dont know how I am going to be able to cope with the inaction.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default Re: child protection-theyre so far behind!!!!!

I have been here 19 months now. It really depends on who you are dealing with. A bit like Social Services in England really. Families that need intervention aren't getting it and others that are doing really well on their own seem to be getting hassled.

Debs
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

don't know about there but from personal experience its not so hot here either!

debbie
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the roughianandmel is a jewel in the rough

Hello there! I haven't been on here in a while and got really excited about this post!
Do you two work in child protection teams or family support teams then?
I'm studying social work and had taken up my studies having the emigration to oz in mind. I posted before on here asking for social workers/community workers experiences but haven't received many replies. I would love to hear from you and how you are finding it!
In which way is Australia lagging behind? How different do you find working over there?
Mel

doh- editing this post as I just noticed it was on the nursing board. Had never noticed this board before!
Ok, even MORE questions then!!! Trailing the internet for job offers (to get an idea what jobs are out there once we move) I had noticed that many social work jobs are hospital based. More than in the UK anyway (I think, might be wrong). Is there a big difference then to the structure of the job? Do you know more maybe? Thank you!

Last edited by ianandmel; Mar 3rd 2008 at 12:31 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

I'm talking more about the knowledge of oz nurses on child protection they have very little training or awareness here and from what colleauges here tell me they have to virtually ask for permission to refer on its ludicrous
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

debbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to beholddebbieuk is a splendid one to behold

not wanting to offend anyone working in child protection and this is from personal not professional experience i know of a child that is being physicaly abused whenever this child has to go home it gets so upset that it wees itself and is inconsolable. it is heartbreaking to all that know this child. this has been going on for YEARS! with numerous reports to police/nspcc/social services. they are all aware of the situation. just the other week there was yet another incidence at the home yet social services has to give 1 weeks notice to visit as does the health visiter- how infuriating is that..you can hide allsrts in a week.

i think child protection in the uk is so paranoid about getting it wrong that they dont do it right.

but again i DON'T work in this area (thankfully) so i dont know the ins and outs of it all. i just see the heartbreak and bruises

debbie
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Hi Debbie

Who has told you social services have to give 1 weeks notice? That is nonsense. I worked for SS for 12 years in the UK & have done many unannounced visits. Is this child on the child protection register?

Leigh
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

hi

no the child is not..but ss are aware of her and the family, there have been complaints and referals for 5 years and nothing is done.. when i rang them 2 wks ago they new so much yet had not acted on it.

then the childs mum rang her mum gloating that she had ANOTHER ss visit next week. but she was not worried as she has loads of time to sort the house out. her mum has a HV as a freind and she says you all have to give notice now of visits..so she tidies up gets the toys out washes and de nits the childs smothers her in love and quality time for a wk and ss turn up and say all is rosy offer parenting support which she turns down and the cycle begins again..

debbie
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi debbie I know its so frustrating having the knowledge of a child being abused and feeling so helpless. Each PCT has its own arrangements re child protection and arranging home visits. Having said that as far as I am aware HV's dont have to give any notice of a visit though it is polite to do so. I would keep refering to social services and nspcc if you have concerns as it will all be logged. If you are feeling really brave you could also give the local named nurse or designated nurse for child protection for the rotheram trust a ring and discuss your concerns. Sometimes being a childs advocate is very stressful but just keep being a broken record with everyone, dont give up you may be one of the few people who really see what is going on. Sometimes for social services and others its a bit like a jigsaw they need lots of pieces to make that big picture which will give them enough evidence to act properly. Keep up the good work
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks tillysmum

i will keep doing that and i now know that many others from near where the child lives has also complained..we will just keep watching and waiting and complaining and hopefully it will get sorted.

i really do not envy those that work in this field...i could not do it...but thank god some of you can

debbie