British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   CANADA: WORK PERMIT TIMELINE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/canada-work-permit-timeline-546023/)

sioux Jun 30th 2008 12:37 pm

CANADA: WORK PERMIT TIMELINE

Hello
are there any nurses out there who have recently submitted temporary a temporary work permit application? what documents did you put in- I have seen two different check lists (I saw the other on after I sent my application in). have you received your request for a medical? is it true that they take longer to process in the summer?
i am so worried:unsure::(

Silverdragon102 Jun 30th 2008 12:54 pm

Re: CANADA: WORK PERMIT TIMELINE

Think you are looking at approx 4 months in total. I have a friend currently going through it and she just had her medical and now waiting for final OK.

destinationnovascotia Jun 30th 2008 2:57 pm

I applied at the end of January submitting my application including my husbands application for an open work permit and my children's details. I also sent LMO and job offer plus the fee. I was then asked for a further fee for study permits for the kids (even though they shouldn't need them) which I paid but it incurred a 2 week delay. I sent my police check on after the application.

I got my meds request early May and had meds 22nd May. I am told (after several emails to the CHC) that my application was processed on 26th June and I should get my letter this week.

This timescale is not typical and I know people who have gone through the whole process in 6 weeks, who applied after me.

I have been given no reason why my application took this long, it was straightforward - meds OK, police check clear etc but it just goes to show that it takes as long as it takes and you shouldn't worry if yours takes longer than average as there can be massive deviations from the norm without rhyme or reason.

Good luck with your application.

walkerv05 Jul 4th 2008 3:20 pm

its been 11 weeks for us from first sending our TWP application in, OH was supposed to start work at Kingston General Hospital Ontario today:mad:
we had ours sent back after 3 weeks though, no study permits asked for the kids, they wanted more money for that, then the med request came and request for more documentation, letter form my ex so i can take my daughter, copies of his crash cart training, ( hope that they where ok with them as they where out of date 06 it seems Hull and East yorkshire Trust are that short of cash they are not refreshing manditory training!!) and our
police checks, still waiting, hope they come soon!!:(

terese677 Jul 6th 2008 5:10 am

Originally Posted by sioux (Post 6518520)
Hello
are there any nurses out there who have recently submitted temporary a temporary work permit application? what documents did you put in- I have seen two different check lists (I saw the other on after I sent my application in). have you received your request for a medical? is it true that they take longer to process in the summer?
i am so worried:unsure::(

In total lst year I applied in June and got work permit approval letter in October.
It does differ and there doesn't seem to be any accounting for this
Good luck
terese

sioux Jul 6th 2008 10:42 pm

It's so amazing how the timescale are so different. I applied for my work permit, my OH's open work permit, we have two kids under 5, so hopefully they do not need study permits, if so, I suppose the application will be sent back. I sent police checks and everything I can think of. I am due to start work in October, but I really thought that I would be in vancouver by september. I wonder if that's going to happen.
Still is coming up to the third week only, so early days yet.
Thanks for all you input. It helps in that I wont be waiting for the postman everyday.

terese677 Jul 7th 2008 3:04 am

Originally Posted by sioux (Post 6541745)
It's so amazing how the timescale are so different. I applied for my work permit, my OH's open work permit, we have two kids under 5, so hopefully they do not need study permits, if so, I suppose the application will be sent back. I sent police checks and everything I can think of. I am due to start work in October, but I really thought that I would be in vancouver by september. I wonder if that's going to happen.
Still is coming up to the third week only, so early days yet.
Thanks for all you input. It helps in that I wont be waiting for the postman everyday.

When will the children be 5?
I'll tell you why we didn't apply for study permit for our 4 year old as she is too young they start kindergarten in the year in which they are 5, but to apply for registration for these places at your local school ( for our child she will start Sept 09 but they are taking registration applications from Oct to Dec 08 for which you need a study permit). So we will have to apply for one immediately even if at the moment she is too young. Of course this ill change from school to school, but our school board says thwey like to sort the little ones out early ( this is in North Van), so its worth asking the school board about study permits if they are close to the school age.
HTH
Terese

sioux Jul 7th 2008 8:03 am

wow! thanks for the tip terese67. She will be 5 next year, but it sounds like we she needs to register now. We also plan on living in North Van.Do you think the CIC will want permits for her. It sounds like the school board will though.?
I thought we had a simple and straight forward application... no such thing I guess

destinationnovascotia Jul 7th 2008 8:28 am

Just for info. The CHC in London seem to be having a bit of a focus on study permits at the moment. I am going to Nova Scotia where the Halifax Regional School Boards clearly states that study permits are not needed for the children of WP holders (I know that this varies in other places).

The CHC however will not accept this and insisted that we have them and asked us to send the additional money. I know that this has happened to a few other people too recently so to avoid delays I would advise anyone to send the money whether they need it or not.

Some people have posted on the Canada forum that they have successfully applied for their money back once in Canada.

sioux Jul 24th 2008 8:34 pm

Hurray!
Got request for medicals today. Almost 5 weeks after submitting application. Meds booked for Tuesday the 29th of July.
QUESTION:
By the time they ask for medicals, they more or less know that they will issue you with the TWP right? I mean should I expect another letter saying we need the following docs.
So if meds go well we should be OK
Now how long after we send our meds back do we have to wait? another 5/6 weeks?

destinationnovascotia Jul 24th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by sioux (Post 6607248)
Now how long after we send our meds back do we have to wait? another 5/6 weeks?

Mine came about 6 weeks after the meds

walkerv05 Jul 25th 2008 12:00 pm

we waited 3 weeks after the med results where recieved in london.

ibbye13 Aug 5th 2008 12:42 am

Hi Sioux

I did my meds on 9th of June and still no answer from the Embassy but i know someone who did hers a week after mine and she has got her TWP last week of July.

The timeline varies unfortunately and i dont think there is any specific factor that can delay the process...some say its cos of summer so loads of applications for tourist visas can delay TWP..others say it depends on the case officer ....we are all assuming different reasons to explain the delay.

Ibby

sioux Aug 5th 2008 7:57 am

we had our medicals on the 29th of July, so exactly a week ago. I hope it will be 3 weeks like walker05 etc.
I am getting tired of the stress:D

minimeeze Aug 6th 2008 4:11 pm

I submitted my PNP application (BC) in June and have heard nothing yet, although they have taken the application fee from my bank account, so I'm sure that something is happening :huh: