Canada Nursing

Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Canada Nursing

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. (I was pointed here from the Canada immigration forum).

My wife is a registered childrens nurse: RN (child), and studied as part of project 2000 - I hope I wrote that correctly and it makes sense.

We are looking at applying to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) class and have a few questions of anyone who may have gone/are going through this process.

1) From what we've gathered Canada doesn't recognise this qualification directly as nurses in Canada are general nurses first, and my wife is not qualified to nurse adults. Is the 'child' specialty recognised as part of the FSW process?

2) My wife has the 3 year diploma and not the degree. I understand that Canadian nurses are qualified to degree level. Will this be an issue?

Any answers or pointers to places where we may find answers would be appreciated (karma waiting to be given - go on, you know you want some ).

Many thanks

Chris
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Nursing

Not sure about meeting FSW criteria but unless they have clinical and theory hours on her transcripts in Obstetrics, Mental Health, Paeds and Adult she will not meet provincial college of RN requirements and get eligibility to sit CRNE and be able to work as a RN. It may depend on the province to whether they accept Diploma to degree. I don't have diploma or degree as I trained way back in 86 and generally had no problems just had to meet requirements and do a couple of distant learning courses. However a lot of provinces now do some form of assessment like SEC before the college will allow them to sit CRNE
Old Sep 1st 2011, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the response.

We realise that my wife will have to do some re-training (whatever form that comes in), but that is all for naught if her qualification doesn't get her in the country in the first place. The Achilles heel to our plan you could say

If anyone can even partially answer our questions I'd be grateful.

Cheers

Chris
Old Sep 1st 2011, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just in case anyone is following this thread and interested in the answers, it seems like lack of current registration is not an issue as long as there is 1 years worth of full time registered work in the last 10.

Also the diploma qualification when Canada nurses are at degree level is not an issue for FSW applications, but of course training will be required to work in Canada.

Of course I can't guarantee the above is 100% accurate until our application is successful, but it's looking good based on current information.

Cheers

Chris
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Kaz3690 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Canada Nursing

I just saw your thread today, my daughter has a similar situation however, she is missing the Child and Adult theory and clinical hours. It,s encouraging to hear that you can take the courses necessary in order to get registered in Canada to work. Do you have any indication of length for theses courses as my daughter has 3 young children and is concerned that she would have to be away from them for months?.

I appreciate it if you could let me know and good luck in your application to emigrate
Old Sep 10th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaz3690
I just saw your thread today, my daughter has a similar situation however, she is missing the Child and Adult theory and clinical hours. It,s encouraging to hear that you can take the courses necessary in order to get registered in Canada to work. Do you have any indication of length for theses courses as my daughter has 3 young children and is concerned that she would have to be away from them for months?.

I appreciate it if you could let me know and good luck in your application to emigrate
Check with the provincial College of RN's as they may agree to let her do the course in the UK if distant learning and placement is agreed on at a local approved hospital
Old Sep 10th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Kaz3690 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Silverdragon for your reply, I'll certainly look into that, it would be great if that were a possibility as I know that leaving her children even for a couple of weeks would be really hard her youngest is only 2 months old at present.
Karen
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry for taking a while to respond.

I really don't know how long you have to study for. I think they assess you and decide on how much you have to do, but I think the minimum may be 3 months.

Don't quote me on any of that though, it's just what I've picked up here an there
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:58 am
Just Joined

bethleolin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisparr
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. (I was pointed here from the Canada immigration forum).

My wife is a registered childrens nurse: RN (child), and studied as part of project 2000 - I hope I wrote that correctly and it makes sense.

We are looking at applying to Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) class and have a few questions of anyone who may have gone/are going through this process.

1) From what we've gathered Canada doesn't recognise this qualification directly as nurses in Canada are general nurses first, and my wife is not qualified to nurse adults. Is the 'child' specialty recognised as part of the FSW process?

2) My wife has the 3 year diploma and not the degree. I understand that Canadian nurses are qualified to degree level. Will this be an issue?

Any answers or pointers to places where we may find answers would be appreciated (karma waiting to be given - go on, you know you want some ).

Many thanks

Chris
I am currently going through the process of applying for PR - (documents have just passed first stage) and I am also RN (child) with a diploma. Some advice if you go ahead with the application to Canada I would suggest your wife apply to the the provincial nursing board either before or at the same time, it is a lengthy process! I applied to the CRNBC in Sept 2009 reply came Feb 2010 and I had to go to Canada to do a 3 day SEC assessment in July 2010. The result is I have to do a year's nurse re -entry program and in my case the CRNBC only keep your file open for 3 years! Also be aware they have now reduced the cap to only 500 nurses a year. This is already full for this year Hope this info helps!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

jennyj83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm new to the forum.

Are they requiring you to complete the 1 year nurse re-entry programme because you are diploma qualified rather than degree?

As I understood it, degree qualified nurses (even childrens nurses) can apply for provisional registration and then sit the exam and complete any top-up courses while they are working as an RN in BC.

I'm a canadian citizen already so I don't have any immigration issues to overcome, just that I am doing my degree in the UK....
Old Jul 4th 2012, 6:11 am
Just Joined

jennyzhoujw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Hope someone can answer my question as follows:

I am a nurse in China with a 3 year' diploma from a Chinese institute. My English is quite good. I am seeking for a right path to work in Canada as a nurse.

Afte I have researched the website of Ontaria Nursing College, there is a item regarding registration I can not understand: "Proof of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to engage in the practice of nursing. "

You know, I am not a citizen or PR of Canada, so I am thinking if I am qualified with the following: "or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to engage in the practice of nursing"?

Hope someone can help me with this point. Thanks first, Jenny
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jennyzhoujw
Hi all,

I am new to this forum. Hope someone can answer my question as follows:

I am a nurse in China with a 3 year' diploma from a Chinese institute. My English is quite good. I am seeking for a right path to work in Canada as a nurse.

Afte I have researched the website of Ontaria Nursing College, there is a item regarding registration I can not understand: "Proof of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency, or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to engage in the practice of nursing. "

You know, I am not a citizen or PR of Canada, so I am thinking if I am qualified with the following: "or authorization under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) to engage in the practice of nursing"?

Hope someone can help me with this point. Thanks first, Jenny
What it means is a license will not be issued unless you provide proof that you are allowed to live and work in Canada, ie copy of PR or Temp work permit
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:46 am
Just Joined

jennyzhoujw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
What it means is a license will not be issued unless you provide proof that you are allowed to live and work in Canada, ie copy of PR or Temp work permit
Thanks Silverdragon102.