Can UK mental health nurses work in US/Canada?

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

studentnurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can UK mental health nurses work in US/Canada?

Hi there,

Any advice on this would be really appreciated, I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the mo. I'm currently in UK studying adult nursing, but I eventually want to live in US/Canada for a few years. Mental health nursing really appeals to me and I have the opportunity to switch branch, however I've heard that mental health nurses aren't recognised in the US/Canada. I've also heard that UK adult nurses don't have the requirements in mental health and childrens to satisfy the US requirements. Does anyone know how you'd get around this issue. If I go into mental health is there any way I can 'top up' to adult in order to fulfill the US requirements? thanks for reading
Also is there any UK nurses already in US or Canada...could you please give me your opinion on working there? Was it tough to get a visa? How are you finding it, is it easier/harder compared to UK? Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can UK mental health nurses work in US/Canada?

Originally Posted by studentnurse
Hi there,

Any advice on this would be really appreciated, I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the mo. I'm currently in UK studying adult nursing, but I eventually want to live in US/Canada for a few years. Mental health nursing really appeals to me and I have the opportunity to switch branch, however I've heard that mental health nurses aren't recognised in the US/Canada. I've also heard that UK adult nurses don't have the requirements in mental health and childrens to satisfy the US requirements. Does anyone know how you'd get around this issue. If I go into mental health is there any way I can 'top up' to adult in order to fulfill the US requirements? thanks for reading
Also is there any UK nurses already in US or Canada...could you please give me your opinion on working there? Was it tough to get a visa? How are you finding it, is it easier/harder compared to UK? Thanks
For the US you have to be general trained and have hours in all areas (midwifery, mental health, paeds as well as general adult) If you haven't got hours both clinical and theory then you will not meet US requirements, very hard in the UK to find any courses to catch up hours but may be able to do them in the US. Also be aware of retrogression and will take several years to get a visa to work. Check out the International forum on allnurses.com.

I think there are 1-2 provinces that will accept mental health nurses but not sure which ones although I know Nova Scotia doesn't.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I know that we have some mental health nurses who post on here and have found work in Alberta. I am not sure about other provinces, but like Silverdragon, I know that NS doesn't.

If you do a search on the Canada forum you should find some info.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Crumps and Misone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i'm a MH nurse working in alberta. I know BC and AB do accept MH nurses, you basically apply for registration through the governing bodies: CRPNA (alberta) or CRPNBC (British Columbia).
My experience is with CRPNA..... i had to get transcripts from uni about the nursing course and what was covered and send this and various other documents about my education to be assessed by IQAS (international qualifications assessment), once the CRPNA received this and they are satisfied that your nursing education is transferable they will give a temporary registration which is valid for 6 months and in that time you have to sit an exam (like a conversion exam) before you are registered to practice as a registered psych nurse. Have a look at their website (just google crpna and the site is listed) and also send them an email, they're very helpful, if there's anything else i can help with let me know.
Good luck, Simone
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

marieceleste is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I can only speak for Canada, but i know that Saskatchewan, B.C & Alberta recognise psychiatric nurse registration. I do not know about the Maritimes. You do have to come to Canada to sit your examinations whichever province you choose, they do not offer exams in the U.K. I had B.C registration as I sat my exams in Coquitlam, but found the jobs in Alberta gave a generous relocation allowance which wasn't on offer with B.C jobs. You could look at the different provinces & health regions and see what is on offer.
Good luck
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

ngoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant futurengoni has a brilliant future

for US as mentioned by others you need to have completed a certain number of hours in all areas. i know an agency very popular in recruiting nurses from UK to US which used to offer extra courses for one to meet the required hours provided you can get a placement as well. this infor is from two years ago when i enquired. its called O'Grady Peyton. give them a try and see if they still offer the same. all the best.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ngoni
for US as mentioned by others you need to have completed a certain number of hours in all areas. i know an agency very popular in recruiting nurses from UK to US which used to offer extra courses for one to meet the required hours provided you can get a placement as well. this infor is from two years ago when i enquired. its called O'Grady Peyton. give them a try and see if they still offer the same. all the best.
There is no need to use OPG and they have a very high cancellation fee. There are a couple of universities in the UK that offer catch up courses but the best thing to do is chat whilst still in uni and try to get something sorted
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Jensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond reputeJensmate has a reputation beyond repute

There is a shortage of psychiatric (mental health) nurses in the US Veterans Administration healthcare system. Might mean you'd need to get US citizenship first but there are many benefits in working for the US federal govt: higher salary, more vacation and sick time, better retirement plans thatn are found in the private sector, etc.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jensmate
There is a shortage of psychiatric (mental health) nurses in the US Veterans Administration healthcare system. Might mean you'd need to get US citizenship first but there are many benefits in working for the US federal govt: higher salary, more vacation and sick time, better retirement plans thatn are found in the private sector, etc.
Unless they meet requirements and have hours in all areas then they can not get licensed in the US plus retrogression has been ongoing since Oct 06 and currently looking at several years wait
Old Mar 18th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Cas134 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crumps and Misone
Hi, i'm a MH nurse working in alberta. I know BC and AB do accept MH nurses, you basically apply for registration through the governing bodies: CRPNA (alberta) or CRPNBC (British Columbia).
My experience is with CRPNA..... i had to get transcripts from uni about the nursing course and what was covered and send this and various other documents about my education to be assessed by IQAS (international qualifications assessment), once the CRPNA received this and they are satisfied that your nursing education is transferable they will give a temporary registration which is valid for 6 months and in that time you have to sit an exam (like a conversion exam) before you are registered to practice as a registered psych nurse. Have a look at their website (just google crpna and the site is listed) and also send them an email, they're very helpful, if there's anything else i can help with let me know.
Good luck, Simone
Hi I am a psychiatric nurse from Uk who has recently graduated and would like to work in Alberta, Canada for one year. I would like to ask Crumps and misone, did it take long from registering with CRPNA to actually being able to work there? Also do you get a visa after you have been granted a permit? I've no idea about all of this and need help as I would like to go in October this year and any information from someone with experience who has done it before would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cas134
Hi I am a psychiatric nurse from Uk who has recently graduated and would like to work in Alberta, Canada for one year. I would like to ask Crumps and misone, did it take long from registering with CRPNA to actually being able to work there? Also do you get a visa after you have been granted a permit? I've no idea about all of this and need help as I would like to go in October this year and any information from someone with experience who has done it before would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Once you get the OK from the college you need to find a employer and apply for a temp work permit. Once you apply for a TWP you will have to have a medical. Not sure if you will meet your October timescale
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

LisaandSteve is on a distinguished road

Hey guys

The registering body in Alberta is CARNA and there website is http://www.nurses.ab.ca/Carna/index.aspx you have to pay $210 canadian dollers and fill in the application form for IEN (International educated nurses) there is a pack on there telling you all about it. You will have to also get your nursing education transcrips from uni, NMC clarification of your registration which costs £35 and an employers reference. I am a paeds only trained nurse and have been advise it will be really hard for me to get in, as in Canada like the US you have to be trained in Paeds, adult, mental heath and obstetrics!

My application went in a few weeks ago so here's to keeping everything crossed! ha ha
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:55 am
Just Joined

shane69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Crumps and Misone
Good luck, Simone
Hi Simone
i read a few of your posts!
Im considering heavily studying for the CRPNA! im from Australia
I would like to get my hands on any practice exams; this would help me focus on the actual areas that i NEED to study. or can you help by sharing what i should study...study manuals etc
I know ive asked some very broad questions BUT.......help!!!!!!!!!!