Wikiposts

Can only degree level nurses work in Oz now??

Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

vikgrif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can only degree level nurses work in Oz now??

Sorry confused, experienced practice nurse looking to move to Oz from UK... diploma level 3yrs university education.....according to the framework for assessment of internationslly qualified nurses (nursing and midwifery board of Australia) must have min degree in nursing to work as nurse in OZ or am I reading this wrong?? anyone recently move to Oz and able to work with diploma? r diploma educated nurses considered EN's on Oz? guess RN's with no university education r out of the question then!

thankful for any help
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can only degree level nurses work in Oz now??

No....you don't need a degree

Plenty of diploma trained nurses working here
Old Jan 20th 2011, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

As OP said, no degree needed.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:19 am
MrA
Forum Regular

MrA is on a distinguished road

phew
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:24 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The AHPRA guidelines do make it look like they are only registering degree level nurses now
I'm hoping that's not the case although things seem to be changing all the time. The process seems a lot more difficult than when I applied a few years ago.

I was originally diploma trained but am adding modules to make up to a degree.
I'm going ahead with my application, even though I don't finish my last module until December.
Old Jun 30th 2011, 9:49 am
Just Joined

tedeus is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a reply from APHRA saying that :

For registration as a registered nurse, the minimum qualification must be a university-based Bachelor degree (or where relevant, a postgraduate qualification) and the minimum length of the course is equivalent to six semesters’ full-time study.

Does this mean that any other qualification is out of the question?
any nurses got their registration recently?
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 4:16 am
Just Joined

mobypippa is an unknown quantity at this point

According to my migration agent the rules have changed as of very recently. You can now only apply if you have a degree. If you are already in the process of applying and have lauched the application already, these rules don't apply to you.

I suggest you contact a migration agent, as they have up to date information on the guildlines.

Goodluck
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

nurseval is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just been on the APHRA site and it does not say anything about only Degree onwards nurses can apply...

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Search.aspx?q=nursing%20diploma

Think its the 4th link down..
Old Jul 7th 2011, 2:44 am
Just Joined

sixwonsix is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm finding this really confusing as well.

I think there is a difference between an Australian Diploma and a Diploma of Higher Education in the UK.

From the update posted by the AHPRA in the previous posts link.

"Nurses and midwives from these countries who have a Diploma of Higher Education or Advanced Diploma at a university or equivalent institution, together with professional licensure as a registered nurse and further professional/post-graduate education, also meet the standard for registration as a registered nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia."

Now what does "further professional/post-graduate education" mean?
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I qualified in 1990 as an RSN,have since added RSCN,have worked in oz and while they may like it if you have experience in yer area of nursing they don't give a shit,yer just a registered nurse to them,thats all they care about
Old Jul 8th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

mansawant is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are diploma trained nurse then they are asking for a proof of continuous professional development. Please see the responce one of the nurse received from AHPRA.

-Marie-

what is counted as proof of prof. development?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi there

am in the AHPRA situation............

they are now saying that as i am only diploma trained they need more proof of continuing professiona development, i had sent them a letter from HR with list of courses but they want more. they said a letter from my manager will do but isnt that the same as the letter from HR????

any advice will be greatly appreciated as i only have until 27 july before ahpra close my file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance
a very downtrodden and fed up, marie x__________________
02/09 Vetassess 03/09 E-Visa 175 permanent applied WA SS granted 7/2009 08/09 have CO 09/09 put on hold 12/10 have visa-but had a baby in 11/10 & have to add him jan 2011 visa granted validate 23/3/11

Originally posted here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722939

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 8th 2011 at 4:15 am. Reason: Please include links when quoting from other threads