BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Old Nov 21st 2015, 9:03 am
Just Joined

monicawoodlm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

I am currently pursuing my graduation degree as a midwifery student....
Can u tell me some ways to select a best college in United states so taht I can have good knowledge....

I want to start my career as a best midwifery in my area???

Tell me the best education for this field....
Old Mar 12th 2016, 9:56 am
Just Joined

bananamum is an unknown quantity at this point

No posts for a while on here.
Just wondering if anyone has had any recent news or info regarding the above.
Any job offers anywhere, or anyone moved over since.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by genorm
It's possible to get a Midwifery role with supervision - hospitals are beginning to realise that they need to take this onboard if they wish to avoid a crisis level shortage.

This whole CoC thing is NOT a clinical issue - it is to do with documentation during training. I even heard recently that a Professor of Midwifery could not get FULLY registered with AHPRA because she does not have the CoC component.

@bananamum - based on your current situation, you will have 2 years Post Grad experience by the time you are in a position to relocate - this will meet the minimum criteria set by our Australian hospital clients.

I mostly work with Private Hospitals, and they MAY offer a 457 visa sponsorship if you choose to consider that path. It will depend on supply and demand and usually means that you need to look at less popular locations. Usually, you can discount Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane cities - but it will depend on what the demand is at the time you apply.
Is there any positions I'm QLD or NSW? I don't currently have aphra but can submit apply asap
Old Mar 16th 2016, 6:28 am
Just Joined

pixie3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bananamum,

After my last post I applied for AHPRA (very long process!) and just got my letter of eligibility a couple of weeks ago. I have 3 months supervisory condition. I am applying for jobs on NSW Health website.

I have a WHV which will run out in November so ideally I need a job which will sponsor me.

Stressful long process!!! Where are you at?
Old Mar 16th 2016, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananamum
Is there any positions I'm QLD or NSW? I don't currently have aphra but can submit apply asap
The sooner you apply for AHPRA the better. They can take months so don't hang around.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pixie3
Hi Bananamum,

After my last post I applied for AHPRA (very long process!) and just got my letter of eligibility a couple of weeks ago. I have 3 months supervisory condition. I am applying for jobs on NSW Health website.

I have a WHV which will run out in November so ideally I need a job which will sponsor me.

Stressful long process!!! Where are you at?
Good luck with your applications for NSW, are you looking for any specific areas?

I haven't started anything yet, I'm currently on rotation in ANC which means less pay. I have just joined an agency but still need to supply further information before I start working extra shifts. This will help me fund everything.

I am hoping to go over on a 189 PR visa so need to save up quite a bit yet. I figured it was better to apply for aphra once I've completed anmac x
Old Mar 16th 2016, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The sooner you apply for AHPRA the better. They can take months so don't hang around.
Thanks for the info.
Do you have a rough idea how long they're taking?
Old Apr 7th 2016, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Midwifeinmelbourne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I wish I had seen this feed months ago it would have saved me a lot of time and heart break! Ahpra was so stressful! I currently have Ahpra registration with condition of three months supervised practise and I'm on a working holiday visa. Do I stand a chance getting a job in Melbourne? Is supervised practise paid? What's the best approach to applying for jobs? I don't know anyone whose gone through this process so any help would be amazing.

Many thanks
Old Apr 9th 2016, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Midwifeinmelbourne
Hello everyone,

I wish I had seen this feed months ago it would have saved me a lot of time and heart break! Ahpra was so stressful! I currently have Ahpra registration with condition of three months supervised practise and I'm on a working holiday visa. Do I stand a chance getting a job in Melbourne? Is supervised practise paid? What's the best approach to applying for jobs? I don't know anyone whose gone through this process so any help would be amazing.

Many thanks
k

Hi,
I haven't gone through it myself but I would say contact some agencies as they can get block bookings and you can complete the supervision that way.
Good luck
Old Apr 9th 2016, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midwifeinmelbourne
Hello everyone,

Many thanks

just apply to all the hospitals you can. Most of the hospitals are aware of the supervised practice stipulation. I know Mercy Health were advertising for midwives a couple of weeks ago. Good luck x
Old Apr 11th 2016, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Regmidwife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone. This is my first post so please be kind to me ☺️

I am a UK Midwife with 7 years of experience hoping to emigrate to Queensland. Are there any midwives already out there who could tell me a little more about a realistic salary? 😊

I believe I would be a grade 5 Registered Midwife. Do the pay points relate to how many years you have been qualified? Therefore would I start on the top end of a grade 5 salary scale? It's really difficult to find the answers and it's a huge thing that we need to know before starting the process as we will just be living off my salary for a couple of years until my children get to school age

Could I be cheeky and ask roughly how much you all get paid fortnightly after tax?

Many thanks xx
Old Apr 12th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Try here - this is the state award:

http://www.qirc.qld.gov.au/resources...idwives_15.pdf
Old May 16th 2016, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

StuMWaimee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am approaching the end of my 2nd year of my pre-reg MSc Midwifery programme, and the plan is to emigrate to Perth (my other half is in the Police and looking to transfer to WA Police) in around 2 or 3 years.

I have been reading up a lot on all of the AHPRA conditions in terms of the 20 CoC during training, and the supervision conditions if that is not achieved. Realistically, when I caseload next year, there's no way I'll get 20 CoC. Obviously I will try my hardest but it's not really achievable I don't think?!

Can anyone tell me if being qualified to Masters level will make a blind bit of difference to these conditions? Or is that something I'd need to clarify with AHPRA? Moving to Oz has been my dream for as long as I can honestly remember, and I would hate to think that after all the hard work of qualifying that I wouldn't be able to get a job there πŸ˜”.

Would it be financially feasible in Oz to live off my partners police wage until I could get through supervision (if someone is willing to take me on?)

Any comments and/or feedback would be deeply appreciated!
Old May 17th 2016, 10:18 am
Just Joined

StuMWaimee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by emmajep
Hello!
Looking for a bit of support with the same issue...

From reading this thread it appears I may have got further along this obstacle course than some. Hopefully we'll be able to find others who have reached the finish line to help us!

My story... I applied for my Skilled Visa (Perm. Res 189) 3 months after first starting my first post-qualifying year as an RM.

The processs was
1) AHPRA application..... and as is standard, it took way longer than any other element and was still not approved 12 months later when I arrived in Australia

2)IELTS (because i've not been working as a midwife for 3+ years)
3)ANMAC skills assessement
4)Visa application

2/3/4 were very simple if you follow the instructions for each organsiation to the letter.

AHPRA gave me conditional registration which I contested.... another 5 months later they rejected my argument and registered me with conditions. - and needing more paperwork because your NMC letter of registration only counts for 3 months... (like you have chance of AHPRA sorting your reg is 3 months!)

Finally registered... with said conditions for supervision ( based on COC stuff).

So, here'e where I am...

I applied for a government hospital job (an hour out of Adelaide as there are currentlyno positions in public or private hospitals in the city). I was successful at interview for a casual position and then told them about my conditions. This is when previous mention of part-time / more hours went out the window.

They looked into the requirements and in fairness it is a nightmare for me aswell as the hospital.

Its not just a case of supervision for 12 months, but a 'plan' not disimilar to student assessments.

It appears (someone please correct me here!!!!) that they are required to asssess every single competancy (complete with an actionplan to be reviewewd ) - even though its only competancy 5 we 'failed' in the original application.

In addition, it appears we have to do 10 caseloads (15-20hr each one, with 4 AN visits, 2 PN each, and we have to attend the births of at least 5). WTF!

So, i'm an hour away with casual hours (and no other job!) The manager at the hospital has suggested I may have to do it in my own time to get it done. Not an issue as a student (where I completed 4 by the way, 5 minutes from my house), but here is a bit different!

I hope I've contributed a bit of info... If anyone can help clarify the logistics of actually getting supervision signed off i'd be grateful!

Emma
Hi Emma, this is just a side question relating to your visa application. I too will have to sit the IELTS as I won't have been working for 3+ years. I was wondering if you were able to tell me what you scored for Visa purposes? As I know you need to score as being 'competent English' but it looks as though for my application I'd need to score 'proficient English' to be able to qualify for the 60points you need to get an independent skilled Visa (subclass 189). So that means scoring at least 8.0 in each area of the IELTS (eg. Reading, writing, speaking & listening). Is scoring this quite easy to achieve? Any light you could shed on this for me would be deeply appreciated. Thanks, Aimee

Last edited by StuMWaimee; May 17th 2016 at 10:27 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:26 am
Just Joined

jtaylor14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i'm new here so please bear with me!

This seems like the most recent post about Midwifery in Australia so i hope you can all offer some sort of advice.

I am a second year student Midwife in the UK. This year i am able to go abroad on a purely observational placement and i would love to go to Australia. My brother lives in Melbourne i visited there and Sydney in April and fell in love with the place. I will be moving there once i graduate.

I have contacted what feels like a million hospitals and have been turned down by them all. They say that they do not have the capacity or are not allowed to take students who don't attend their universities. Can anyone please offer any advice???? I am trying to stress to them that this is a 2 week observational placement and its more like a voluntary role rather then a student midwife role. I was obviously keen to go to Melbourne but right now i will go anywhere! I am so desperate to experience Australian maternity care and just have the opportunity to see how it works. I want this so bad and am not giving up yet!!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions what i can do then please share them! Thank you so much xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.