any RMN's out there?

Old Oct 5th 2006, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default any RMN's out there?

Thought (to myself) that it would be interesting to hear about people's experiences as RMN's in Oz. I have read so many threads with cryptic comments on, just wondered if anyone would like to share their experiences..differences, similarities, what's good, what's not so good, where's good, where's not so good...?
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all
Default Re: any RMN's out there?

OUCH!!! Do I take it there's nobody out there willing to share?

Originally Posted by mooncat
Thought (to myself) that it would be interesting to hear about people's experiences as RMN's in Oz. I have read so many threads with cryptic comments on, just wondered if anyone would like to share their experiences..differences, similarities, what's good, what's not so good, where's good, where's not so good...?
Old Oct 14th 2006, 11:45 pm
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

OUCH!!! Do I take it there's nobody out there willing to share?
Mental Health Nursing in OZ is in crisis... a very different way of doing things... however its not all rosy in the UK and you have to remember that... nurses dont need to psychiatric nurses to work in psych... which is a difficulty... more about attitude towards patients and risk management ...a very basic looking after people medical model of care...
However life is fantastic and the unit i work in in a senior position is making headway to hopefully become a good unit we have a smattering of good UK staff and some good kiwis i might add.
Send me a message if you want to know anymore.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 4:46 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I originally came to Aus on a 457 temp visa and was placed in an awful unit.....funnily enough entirely staffed by nurses on 457 Visa's ......so bad they couldn't get Aus nurses to work there !!
Anyway....soon applied for my 136 Skilled Independant Visa. which I got over a year ago.

Had a break from nursing for a bit...but now work for a great Agency called Swingshift ....just deals with Psych nurses - been to some great places ....my fav being The Alfred Hospital here in Melbourne ...have been offered a job there...and considering it.....the only thing stopping me is that I like the diversity of going to different places, and also the money....loads better.

I think I as just unlucky at first - I have found some great practice going on.
Old Oct 15th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cufc
Mental Health Nursing in OZ is in crisis
Seems like a bit harsh....where I've worked it did / does not not seem in crisis! Not as advanced in practice as the UK but certainly not in crisis. I've worked in access and home based acute care in QLD and continuing care in Victoria. Im now a team co-ordinator, of what I hope is a forward thinking, highly motivated, highly skilled team
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:55 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

I heard loads of negative stuff regarding mental health nursing before I arrived here, so was a bit worried about what I might find, but having been here a few weeks now, its nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be.

Community services are patchy with long waiting lists, but all the staff I have come across are great and the team I work with is one of the friendliest I have known. Yes, there are things that I would like to see changed or done differently, but this applied in the UK too.