Advice Needed

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:42 am
Just Joined

student nurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice Needed

I am currently in the need for some advice from you kind people out there. I am a second year diploma student at Northumbria University studying to become a registered general adult nurse, I am enjoying my training and hope to qualify September 2006. However my husband may be offered a job as a policeman in Southern Australia possibly Adelaide, in Summer 2005. This would mean spending a whole year apart whilst I fininshed my training. My questions are:-

1. Are there any similar training courses in and around Adelaide to become a registered nurse, and if so would I have to do the three years, or could I just do my final year over there?

2. Could the qualification obtained in Australia be used back here in England to practice as a nurse if things did not work out in Oz?

3. Is the nurse training over there difficult to get into?

Any help or other websites would be appreciated as I do not relish the idea of my family being apart whilst I fininsh training.

Thank you
Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: Advice Needed

Originally Posted by student nurse
I am currently in the need for some advice from you kind people out there. I am a second year diploma student at Northumbria University studying to become a registered general adult nurse, I am enjoying my training and hope to qualify September 2006. However my husband may be offered a job as a policeman in Southern Australia possibly Adelaide, in Summer 2005. This would mean spending a whole year apart whilst I fininshed my training. My questions are:-

1. Are there any similar training courses in and around Adelaide to become a registered nurse, and if so would I have to do the three years, or could I just do my final year over there?

2. Could the qualification obtained in Australia be used back here in England to practice as a nurse if things did not work out in Oz?

3. Is the nurse training over there difficult to get into?

Any help or other websites would be appreciated as I do not relish the idea of my family being apart whilst I fininsh training.

Thank you
Hello, I can't answer all of your questions but what I can tell you is that in Australia they don't have a diploma level, all nursing students study at degree level. So, I think you would find that you might be able to convert some of the time you have spent in the UK to knock off a year (maybe) of the Australian degree.

I didn't think that nursing was too difficult to get into, they are paid more than what we are paid as students here (approximately $36,000aus) and their academic year runs from February to February.

As with UK nurses, as long as you are full registered in Australia then coming back over to the UK to work should not be a problem. I know a couple of Australian nurses and they were able to come over and practice with their Australian degrees without having to take on extra studies.

Hope this addy helps http://nursing.about.com/cs/aboutnursing/

Good luck

dawn x
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Needed

i think you will find that you have to pay to train to be a nurse in oz and it is expensive that is why there is a shortage of them over here, they do not bursaries or salaries for students, after qualifying then you have to do a year as a graduate nurse, mainly fulltime as well, you would be better in my humble opinion to bite the bullet and stick with the training out over there

arlene