Abroad? Cruise Ship? Give up?! HELP!

Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:41 am
Just Joined

abbey90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Abroad? Cruise Ship? Give up?! HELP!

Hi! Sorry if this post seems a bit full on but I am really just so frustrated and want to talk to people who can maybe actually help!

Began a temporary contract when I qualified in a renal unit and since this finished I have been working on the nurse bank. I've done shifts in A&E, acute medical admissions, ITU, MHDU and medical wards. I've recently frequently been working in a respiratory ward.

Now, my main goal is to eventually work in the US or Canada but I am also really interested in cruise ship nursing, HOWEVER, I just seem to be getting NOWHERE! I've been researching these options and also applying for jobs for months now but I just find that I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone and I'm finding it all soooo confusing. I don't know what are the best steps to take and in what order.

The fact is, I'm 24 this year and I want to go away now, whilst I'm still young and have no ties. If I don't do it in the next year or at a push 2, I don't feel I ever will. It is getting to the point where I just want to give up.

Please, please, please someone say they can help and offer me some advice. ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Especially from any nurses who have moved abroad or worked on the cruises! Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abroad? Cruise Ship? Give up?! HELP!

Originally Posted by abbey90
Hi! Sorry if this post seems a bit full on but I am really just so frustrated and want to talk to people who can maybe actually help!

Began a temporary contract when I qualified in a renal unit and since this finished I have been working on the nurse bank. I've done shifts in A&E, acute medical admissions, ITU, MHDU and medical wards. I've recently frequently been working in a respiratory ward.

Now, my main goal is to eventually work in the US or Canada but I am also really interested in cruise ship nursing, HOWEVER, I just seem to be getting NOWHERE! I've been researching these options and also applying for jobs for months now but I just find that I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone and I'm finding it all soooo confusing. I don't know what are the best steps to take and in what order.

The fact is, I'm 24 this year and I want to go away now, whilst I'm still young and have no ties. If I don't do it in the next year or at a push 2, I don't feel I ever will. It is getting to the point where I just want to give up.

Please, please, please someone say they can help and offer me some advice. ANY advice is greatly appreciated. Especially from any nurses who have moved abroad or worked on the cruises! Thanks.
Hi and welcome to BE! I think this is a first for the nursing arena - I've seen other people wnating to work on cruise ships, but not as nurses, so nit sure you will get much of a response.

I am guessing -and its only an educated guess mind - that you would need to be registered to practise in the country under whose flag the cruise ship was sailing - so if its an Aussie owned and operated ship, you'd need AHPRA registration. However the company operating the ship should be able to confirm or deny that.
So it might come down to getting into Aus or maybe Canada as an indepedent migrant. reigstering and then applying for the jobs? The US is notoriously difficult for skilled migrants and is certainly harder than Aus or Canada.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi! Thanks for your response. Hmmm...not sure about being registered in the country in regards to the cruise ships. When I have looked or applied to these companies, that is not mentioned anywhere. Only 99.9% sure though which is why I wanted to talk to nurses who had done this but it's not looking likely unfortunately. Would like any reply re. Canada or US though! Thanks.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Both Canada and the US require you to be general trained with clinical and theory hours on your transcripts in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Both countries currently hard to get in but for Canada there are a few more options open for you but a lot will depend on province and their requirements enabling you to work as a RN
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as the very wise Silverdragon said, forget the US - but Canada's an option if you meet the nursing requirements as above, and can get a job offer.

For visa info on the US/Canada, you're best off posting in the country forums for each of them to get more info.

Good luck with the cruise ship thing though, it had never occurred to me that a nurse might be needed on a cruise ship, but of course it makes sense! And it would be a great way to see the world.

Old Jan 19th 2014, 5:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks guys. Posted on the Canada forum a while back. Got lots of responses but like I said, finding it all very confusing. Hopefully a cruise ship nurse comes along and answers all my questions and if not...next stop Canada!
Old Jan 19th 2014, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of info here if you haven't already found it

http://www.royalcareersatsea.com/pages/medical
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I've applied to Royal careers.