457 to PR?

Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice
Default 457 to PR?

Has any of you had experience of coming out to Australia on a 457 then being sponsored for PR by your employer? If so, could you tell me about your experience and how long it took? Are you tied to that particular employer for a certain lengh of time once you have your PR? My employer has assured me they will sponsor me for PR When I have been working for them for 3 months (I am a midwife by the way). I just wondered if it would be quicker if I started the process off myself now, cos I have only been there three weeks at the mo! The thing is I am over 45 (which is why I went down the 457 route initially) Although my employer assures me that won't matter. Not sure what to do, any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks Carol xxxxx
Old Jun 11th 2008, 10:27 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 to PR?

Hi Carol
I'm also a midwife and came here on a 457 visa and worked in Sydney. Got employer sponsored PR but this was only after working at the hospital for 12mths. As you said with the age restriction thingy it may be better for you to start the process now but I could not be sure.
Oh and I wasn't tied to them for any time after the PR came in but as it was stayed for another year.

Pauline

Originally Posted by scousercarol
Has any of you had experience of coming out to Australia on a 457 then being sponsored for PR by your employer? If so, could you tell me about your experience and how long it took? Are you tied to that particular employer for a certain lengh of time once you have your PR? My employer has assured me they will sponsor me for PR When I have been working for them for 3 months (I am a midwife by the way). I just wondered if it would be quicker if I started the process off myself now, cos I have only been there three weeks at the mo! The thing is I am over 45 (which is why I went down the 457 route initially) Although my employer assures me that won't matter. Not sure what to do, any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks Carol xxxxx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Hi Carol,
I came out on a 457 as an RN and my employer sponsored me after 6 months for PR. They would have done it earlier but I didn't like to ask at the time which was daft on my part. The longest part of the process was getting the paperwork together. We had to get UK police checks again for my OH as he had returned to the UK for a holiday and that took ages because the first one got lost. All new medicals and xrays. It doesn't matter how recent your UK xrays are, they will still want new ones. I was 44 at that time.
Once the paperwork went in, it took 2 days! That was back in 2006 though so maybe times have changed.
I was not obliged to stay on with my employer but I am however still there (out of choice).
Our experience was a very quick and easy one. I have a friend whose experience was just as easy so from our experience, I would say go for it.
Good luck!
Old Jun 12th 2008, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Thanks guy's for your help. It sounds like I will have nothing to lose. I was just a bit concerned cos I work in the private sector and want to work in the public, and I thought I might be tied to my employer once they had sponsored me. Although I feel I will have to stick with them for a while if they do sort my PR out for me. Thanks once again Carol x
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Carol,

We have just done exactly this (its OH who is the nurse). Arrived in December on 457, he completed 3 months probationary period then requested PR sponsorship as agreed. This was completed, all forms sent in then 4 weeks later we have the visa in our passports

We used OH's medical and kids medicals for visa as they had all been completed within last 12mths and I just had to do mine as I didn't need one to come on 457. We used all the same paperwork as we did for 457 so already had it with us, just needed to include new contract of employment. We just updated OH cv and had requested our police checks before we left so they were here and ready to go. OH is tied in to employer for 3 yrs I think via contract. They did say that there was little they could do if he left before then, but for him its no issue as he is very happy and settled in his job. They did highlight the independent route too which they would support us with if that was the route we chose. Apparently there is someone on the ward who is going down the independent route on a 457 as they will want to move on. OH works in the public sector so can move between jobs, just has to stay within the organisation so there is some freedom.

Good luck
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If you are over 45 then the independent route is not possible.

G
Old Jun 12th 2008, 11:41 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

No probs Carol

You dont say which state you are in but if you want to work in the public sector you could approach the health dept for that state and enquire whether or not they would be willing to sponsor you? I dont know if this would be possible but maybe worth a try?
Good luck with whatever way you approach it.

Pauline

Originally Posted by scousercarol
Thanks guy's for your help. It sounds like I will have nothing to lose. I was just a bit concerned cos I work in the private sector and want to work in the public, and I thought I might be tied to my employer once they had sponsored me. Although I feel I will have to stick with them for a while if they do sort my PR out for me. Thanks once again Carol x
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by soapy

No probs Carol

You dont say which state you are in but if you want to work in the public sector you could approach the health dept for that state and enquire whether or not they would be willing to sponsor you? I dont know if this would be possible but maybe worth a try?
Good luck with whatever way you approach it.

Pauline
if you go over on 457 and then apply for a PR visa (either employer sponsored or independednt) do you then have to get your skills assessment done?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Hi Carol

I'm not sure about the independent route but when we did 457 to employer sponsored PR all we had to get was Australian police checks and medicals again as our British medical was out of date and when had been in Australia for more than 1 year.I'm sure as someone said if you do it quick enough you can use British ones to save you time and money.

Pauline

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
if you go over on 457 and then apply for a PR visa (either employer sponsored or independednt) do you then have to get your skills assessment done?