Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is Zealandia worth it? Is the Weta Cave tours worth it?

Is Zealandia worth it? Is the Weta Cave tours worth it?

Old May 30th 2019, 2:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Is Zealandia worth it? Is the Weta Cave tours worth it?

Very short trip to Welly coming up shortly.
Thinking to squeeze in something or other but not sure what.

Is Zealandia worth it?
Are the Weta Cave tours and workshops worth it please?

We shan't have a vehicle so it would be taxi/bus.
Old May 30th 2019, 2:07 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is Zealandia worth it? Is the Weta Cave tours worth it?

I liked Zealandia and I'm not too old to admit it.
Old May 31st 2019, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Zealandia worth it? Is the Weta Cave tours worth it?

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I liked Zealandia and I'm not too old to admit it.
I went to Zealandia as part of my 30th birthday trip down to Welly and loved it!
Old May 31st 2019, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciated Zealandia when we visited a few years ago but we did have a young one tearing and tantrumming through the place for the day so it wasn't a huge amount of fun. It was a lot samey samey after 10 mins. If you like the peace and quiet and strolling through a lot of bush listening out for bird song etc then you'll love it.
Old May 31st 2019, 10:59 pm
`

Hhmm. Zealandia sounds like more of the same that is everywhere really. We have this here close by with the Brook sanctuary & can do this up the Abel Tasman even, not to mention Orokonui a few months back & the Te Anau stuff.

Think we'll skip this. Could do with some fun for a change.
Old Jun 6th 2019, 7:23 am
`

So Weta Cave tour and workshop is out then. They changed their times and it just does not fit in at all. Bah!

Could not find a comedy club for Sat night at all. Bah!

Can't face the Te Papa yet again. Feel like it is indelibly marked on my brain. Has that smelly giant squid gone yet?

Maybe the zoo again as we don't have one nearby at all. Apart from MrBEVS and his civil defence team that is.

Maybe an escape room for an hour or 24. There seems to be a couple of those.

Not interested in shopping the same stuff at all.

What? Something different. Something quirky. Something fun.

Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
S

What? Something different. Something quirky. Something fun.
Have a look and see if anything fun or quirky at the City Gallery - last time I was there they had Grayson Perry exhibition,which would satisfy anyone's desire for a bit of quirk but of course is no longer there. You never know, they might be showcasing something else with a bit of international flavour or quirk.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this you have to wonder where on Earth the "coolest little capital in the world" tag came from when there's so little to do

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 7th 2019 at 9:43 am.
Old Jun 7th 2019, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it must be that world famous bucket fountain that did it!
Old Jun 8th 2019, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I reckon it must be that world famous bucket fountain that did it!
Don't forget it has the Beehive which must rank as one of the world's best comedy clubs 😂
Old Jun 11th 2019, 4:25 am
`

We've been and gone. Didn't do much as couldn't really find much to do . Not without a car or an advance booking of some sort anyway.
Tried the Welly museum. Ummm. Himself didn't fancy the semi-conductor exhibition.
For future ref. there is a free shuttle bus to Zealandia from the top of the cable car. We got NZ on the doorstep so did not feel the urge to visit more of the same.
Did have a reasonable meal down on the harbour front complete with city lights which made a bit of a change.
Sunday was dead & eating out in the evening was a challenge.

Old Jun 11th 2019, 4:25 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bevs
Not sure If I'm too late but depending on your likes
Free tour of the beehive
Botanic garden
Wellington museum (no not TePapa, the much better museum no-one seems to go to)
Cable car museum
Nairn st cottage
Te Hohu
go pay your respects to Mrs Chippy
Sommes Island
Time Cinema
Carter Observatory
some bars.
Anywhere on Cuba St
Mishmosh
The Residence
Bangalore
And as for eating.......heaps and heaps of places
Old Jun 11th 2019, 5:24 am
`

Originally Posted by cym
Hey Bevs
Not sure If I'm too late but depending on your likes
Yup . Too late but thank you anyway.

: Free tour of the beehive - Nah! Wasn't that interested and booking was needed. We've been in the pub nearby one time though.
: Botanic garden - Yup. Strolled this before a few times and did again over the weekend in the freezicle.
: Wellington museum (no not TePapa, the much better museum no-one seems to go to) - Yup. Gave that a bit of time but didn't find it that riveting. However would be really good for kids. Also took in the fine art gallery over the road which had a calligraphy exhibition.
: Cable car museum - Already seen previously.
: Nairn st cottage - $18 entrance fee and 30 min walk. Not for MrBEVS as just another 1850's homestead. We have this here.
: Te Hohu - might have been a goer for Sat afternoon, however if just more of the treaty stuff then perhaps a no.
: Go pay your respects to Mrs Chippy - In the Karori cemetery? The cem itself might have been interesting for me but doubt MrBEVS would have found it fun. Also, I am still mourning the loss of my old Ty pusscat so maybe a bit too soon for that.
: Sommes Island - ? Is that the DoC pred free place? We have the kahurangi nat park on the doorstep.
: Time Cinema - Might have been a goer for the memorabilia. We have The Gecko here.
: Carter Observatory - Done . Twice. Previous time the telescope was operational. We do have one here . A small one which opens to the public once a month or so. The displays at the Carter are really good for children.
Some bars -
: Anywhere on Cuba St - Which was mostly empty and shut come Sunday evening.
Old Jun 11th 2019, 9:19 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

gosh, you're a hard woman to please
Old Jun 11th 2019, 11:25 pm
`

Originally Posted by cym
gosh, you're a hard woman to please
Not really Cym. There are only so many times you can do the same ole, same old thing before it loses its shine & one's attention really & we didn't have children with us. We were away for the weekend so obvs I was looking for something different to do or see. Not something we have here anyway.

I think the Weta Cave might have held some entertainment and interest TBH as a one off. Or perhaps an Escape Room for an hour or so as we don't have that here. If there was something a bit extra on the wildlife front , that would have got me. Or perhaps an international touring exhibition. A comedy club <--- closed. Some rep performing art <--- nothing.

We did try to find out how to watch the ballet rehearsing but at the time no-one seemed to know. I now think that is somewhere around the Fowler Centre but we didn't see this.

T'was a weekend away. A short city break and just like anyone really , you want to see & do hustle bustle city things . Things different from on your own doorstep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.