Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You're white supremacists now...

You're white supremacists now...

Old Sep 5th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You're white supremacists now...

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I thought I'd send them a nice e-mail:

Seems fair doesn't it? I mean you can't hide behind being an "expert" on society to make provocative and possibly offensive comments you aren't ready or willing to defend.

Are you sure she wasn't commenting on one of her colleagues research papers ? I am no supporter of Ms Mutu but I think Close Up were up to no goog, yet again.

Anyway isn't that Uni researchers get paid for, doing lots of useless research and making "out there" claims.

What I do find interesting is how every Maori in NZ get the racist label and reaction (yes racists) just because one Maori talks out of her ass.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

MartinJapan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good God, what a horrible bunch of bigoted hicks! <snip>. Enjoy your beautiful haven at the end of the world, or perhaps that should be your backward redneck village out of touch with the rest of the world.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 5th 2011 at 8:46 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 8:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MartinJapan
Good God, what a horrible bunch of bigoted hicks! <snip>. Enjoy your beautiful haven at the end of the world, or perhaps that should be your backward redneck village out of touch with the rest of the world.
Oh dear. Your 2nd post into what is an open debate thread on a current hot topic in NZ & this is the contribution you make.
Perhaps have a read of BE rule numero uno.

BritishExpats.com is an interactive site, and everyone who participates is "in it together", please treat others the way you wish to be treated. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Please note I made a wee snip to your post ,just as Sue of Admin made to your 1st post. Thank you.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:04 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not denying bro .

Before us Europeans got here the Maori where all living in peace and harmony in the Garden of Eden.

Better check your history mate.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:33 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: You're white supremacists now...

Originally Posted by Perthbum
Better check your history mate.
Said in jest of course .

I could never seriously entertain expressing views that could be seen as racist if a white person expressed them with the reverse slant. We should hold ourselves to a much higher standard that Professor Mutu.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:15 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she should get her startched undies in twiddle over this, which seems to be costing NZ around $5m to $15m a year:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10745751

Migrant parents are deliberately overstaying their visas so their children can qualify as domestic students, and then leave them under the care of friends and relatives to enjoy two years of "free" education.
Having to read people for a living I come accross many types from different walks of life and races at their best and their worst. Although I'll probably be called a racist, I reckon Ms Mutu's favourite type of immigrants form the vast majority of those who are pulling this little number on us all........
Old Sep 6th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

why are we all not just getting along??

What the f**k has any one this got to do with with anything anyway??
Its just one womans opinion and has zero effect on anything I do or
anybody i know, so why the hoohaa ???

Last edited by Justcol; Sep 6th 2011 at 7:53 am.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:11 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Are you sure she wasn't commenting on one of her colleagues research papers ? I am no supporter of Ms Mutu but I think Close Up were up to no goog, yet again.

Anyway isn't that Uni researchers get paid for, doing lots of useless research and making "out there" claims.

What I do find interesting is how every Maori in NZ get the racist label and reaction (yes racists) just because one Maori talks out of her ass.
In the same way that every immigrant gets the white supremacist label?

She's stretching it too far to say that that every non-Maori person is a guest in New Zealand, especially those who can trace their ancestry back 4 or 5 generations. After so long they have as much right to be there are the next person, as do migrants who apply to and get accepted to become part of New Zealand. Very few are over stayers or illegal immigrants.

It's time to embrace multi-culturalism I think and put aside bi-cultralism in New Zealand, it's far too divisive. Let's all learn to live and love as one.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

witty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nicewitty is just really nice

I'm just wondering what Pakeha translates into?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
In the same way that every immigrant gets the white supremacist label?

She's stretching it too far to say that that every non-Maori person is a guest in New Zealand, especially those who can trace their ancestry back 4 or 5 generations. After so long they have as much right to be there are the next person, as do migrants who apply to and get accepted to become part of New Zealand. Very few are over stayers or illegal immigrants.

It's time to embrace multi-culturalism I think and put aside bi-cultralism in New Zealand, it's far too divisive. Let's all learn to live and love as one.
Other than on internet forums in my 68 years I have never heard an average Kiwi referred to a white supremist. But then I have never lived in the South Island. As far as I am aware the label is very much a Christchurch one. The vast majority of Kiwi's are more than happy to just be Kiwi's. The more media and online attention, the higher the profile of Professor Mutu will get. I realise that the thread title was made very much tongue in cheek,but in fact it is likely to get a similar response to Margaret Mutu's comments.

NZ citizens are multicultural however it is a bicultural country and the sooner the TOW issues are addressed and resolved the sooner we will all be able to move on.

As Margaret Mutu is Ngapuhi, the last bastion of unresolved treaty issues in NZ, I suspect her agenda relates more to that than her rather shabby comments.

I might add that I am the manager of one of MM's close whanau and their view of her views are shared by most kiwi's.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Sep 6th 2011 at 2:45 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I agree, but its unlikely to happen due to the history.
For goodness sake most NZers are of mixed descent anyway.
But some people tend to like to hang on to the past.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:47 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland university responds:
Dear X

Thank you for your email; I’m a recent a British expatriate too and I understand your views.

The concerns you and others have raised over Professor Margaret Mutu’s reported comments are understandable, and the University regrets the fact that you and others have been hurt or offended by her statements or how they have been reported.

At the same time, the University believes very strongly in the right of academics to comment on issues in which they have expertise, even when those comments may be controversial. The Education Act protects the right of academics, within the law, to question and test received wisdom, to put forward new ideas and to state controversial or unpopular opinions. That is an important right in a free society.

Kind regards
Y
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Meanwhile in Auckland:
Margaret Mutu says her comments about white immigration cannot be racist because she is not in a position of power.
She said Maori cannot be racist against Pakeha in New Zealand if you considered the definition of racism.

"Racism is definitely associated with power and using power to deprive another group," she said.

"Maori are not in a position of power in this country and therefore cannot deprive Pakeha."
Actual definition of racism as per Oxford English dictionary :
Racism: The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race , especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
I’m am though glad she reopened the racist door, I’m not “In a position of power” you see. Thank you Professor Mutu for your insightful suggestion as a legal defense.

In light of recent events:

You're invited to the first ever annual BritishExpats.com/KKK* ball/lynching.
Tired of ratial harmony? Need to meed some other people with Nazi tatoos and shaved heads? This could be for you!

*Those in positions of power need not apply. Batteries sold separately, always read the label and consult with you GP to see if lynching is right for you.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:10 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with everything Prof Mutu said, but she has every right to say it. And thank god we live in a society where she can say it.

Plus, a depressing number of expats I've met are either overtly racist or when the surface is scratched hold pretty depressing views.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:14 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Charismatic, you can't go to the Oxford Dictionary for exact definitions of complex terms! Within the field of social science, psychology etc racism by definition exists where there is a power differential. I'm not defending Prof Mutu, I'm just saying that that is how it is.

Go look up any term more complicated than 'apple' and you'll find the Oxford Dictionary provides a simplistic over view. If you go and read up about it in a dictionary with subject authority you'll get a better handle on it- in our house we have music and medical dictionaries and I would go to both those for an understanding of terms within those fields.

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Sep 7th 2011 at 5:29 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.