Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on emigration consultants?

Your thoughts on emigration consultants?

Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your thoughts on emigration consultants?

Originally Posted by Emma-Jane and Matt
Hi..

We have employed a consultant company to assist us with the mine field of New zealand Immigration. This is still in it's early stages and i'd be very appreciative of your thoughts on what services you used form a consultant company and which bit you can do on your own?
Hi Matt, your fork lift job, are you prepared to go where the job is or do you want to live somewhere specific? There are a few fork lift truck companies in my neck of the woods if you would like me to call them for you to see if they have your type of vacancy. Look at my last couple of posts and you will get a flavour of what life is like in Palmy, not everyones cup of tea, but it floats our boat and has done so for almost 3 years..and hopefully will do for the next 30-40!!!!

Happy new year, NZ really is awesome!!!!!! Warts and all!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Emma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi Matt, your fork lift job, are you prepared to go where the job is or do you want to live somewhere specific? There are a few fork lift truck companies in my neck of the woods if you would like me to call them for you to see if they have your type of vacancy. Look at my last couple of posts and you will get a flavour of what life is like in Palmy, not everyones cup of tea, but it floats our boat and has done so for almost 3 years..and hopefully will do for the next 30-40!!!!

Happy new year, NZ really is awesome!!!!!! Warts and all!!

Happy new year to you. Thank you for the kind offer to phone for vacancys, this would be very helpfull. The area we end up will be decided by my job but I'd like to be on the northisland. We stayed in parmerston north on our travel around NZ in 2005, enjoyed it very much. How did you find getting a job offer from NZ?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

simonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura about

Lots of positive advice.. thank's.

Im a forklift truck service engineer and have applied for a number of jobs (no replies yet), I've put it down to the time of year! So now I need to secure a job offer which will be the key.. then I have no problem about completing forms and doing whats needed... No dout i'll be your picking brains for advice on the next stadge
Hi Guys, like you I am in the process of looking to secure a job offer, but was nearly suduced by the dark side and plumped to use a consultant, thier fee went from 1.5K to 3K for no apparant reason.
On the one hand alot of people say that" i would not have moved without one, they were great" then on the other there are lots of people who say " it's not so hard, anyone can do it. I can see both sides of the arguement. Moving house in the Uk is stressful enough and here we are looking to move 13,000 miles and wanting to DIY. Well okay I give in.
I will be using the forum from now on as source of advice and will proceed with the forms, because as you say " How hard can it be? "
Old Jan 7th 2008, 9:35 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonandlozzie
Hi Guys, like you I am in the process of looking to secure a job offer, but was nearly suduced by the dark side and plumped to use a consultant, thier fee went from 1.5K to 3K for no apparant reason.
On the one hand alot of people say that" i would not have moved without one, they were great" then on the other there are lots of people who say " it's not so hard, anyone can do it. I can see both sides of the arguement. Moving house in the Uk is stressful enough and here we are looking to move 13,000 miles and wanting to DIY. Well okay I give in.
I will be using the forum from now on as source of advice and will proceed with the forms, because as you say " How hard can it be? "
Hi there,
it is hard to know what to do, I know, but we managed to fill forms in for Works visa'a ourselves and all went o.k, wouldn't be so scary when it comes time to fill in more forms. We used the Free NZIS helpline, over here, alot, and they were great, also this forum always comes up with answers for things.
We got stung by a recruitment company, so thats why we were determined to not spend any more on agencies, as another poster said too, it is rewarding when you do it yourselves.
Good luck with all.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:16 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

We think they are good to a point. Reason being that we tried to DIY our way into Oz, and after 9 months on paperwork and money, we fell over on a simple thing that would have been identified by an agent (OH's teaching degree 3 yrs, not the 4 required for Oz) straight off.

Having learned the hard way, and not having the energy or time to go through it all again, we took the lazy/ easy/ expensive way out and used an agent.

Thing is, now we are here, nothing has gone as the agent planned (now using my work to get PR, rather than the OH's), and we have actually had to do all the leg work ourselves anyway. They have now simply put together some paperwork we've sent them, and filled in some forms you or I can get off the 'net. They have been reassuring to have as someone to bounce ideas off, and to ask questions of, but ultimately the NZIS hotline would probably have been almost as handy.

To summarise: Use this and other forum's first off, and if it is looking decidedly tricky go the agent route.

If I did it again, it would be DIY from the very beginning.

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:01 am
Just Joined

simonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura aboutsimonandlozzie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
We think they are good to a point. Reason being that we tried to DIY our way into Oz, and after 9 months on paperwork and money, we fell over on a simple thing that would have been identified by an agent (OH's teaching degree 3 yrs, not the 4 required for Oz) straight off.

Having learned the hard way, and not having the energy or time to go through it all again, we took the lazy/ easy/ expensive way out and used an agent.

Thing is, now we are here, nothing has gone as the agent planned (now using my work to get PR, rather than the OH's), and we have actually had to do all the leg work ourselves anyway. They have now simply put together some paperwork we've sent them, and filled in some forms you or I can get off the 'net. They have been reassuring to have as someone to bounce ideas off, and to ask questions of, but ultimately the NZIS hotline would probably have been almost as handy.

To summarise: Use this and other forum's first off, and if it is looking decidedly tricky go the agent route.

If I did it again, it would be DIY from the very beginning.

Good luck!
Many thanks Guys, it's normally my wife that does all the research and chats on the forums, but I'm a convert and will go dowm the DIY route, I can't think my case will be that tricky, but we shall see.

Many thanks again
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Waste of a time in my opinion.

I got the services of one for free when I moved over and I had to get everything organised. Someone on the minimum wage filled the forms in and then the MD of the company kept asking me to organise this and organise that.

I certainly wouldn't use one if I had to pay. To be honest I'm putting in for PR and I've got everything organised a lot quicker without one. (And probably saved a few grand at the same time). Do it yourself and treat yourself to a holiday or something instead.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of positive advice.. thank's.

Im a forklift truck service engineer
Matt if you are interested I could give you a few contact in Forklift companies, I use to work for Mitsubishi in both Auckland and Christchurch. But know the MD of Yale quite well.

I now work for that German company with the red trucks and we are crying out for both elec and IC techs. The company will sponsor you via a 457 visa and then after 2 years will sponsor you for PR, in the past 3 months 6 techs have joined us from the UK and have settled in very well. However I'm now not in NZ, so if you fancy Brisbane give me a shout

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2008, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Emma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really niceEmma-Jane and Matt is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Matt if you are interested I could give you a few contact in Forklift companies, I use to work for Mitsubishi in both Auckland and Christchurch. But know the MD of Yale quite well.

I now work for that German company with the red trucks and we are crying out for both elec and IC techs. The company will sponsor you via a 457 visa and then after 2 years will sponsor you for PR, in the past 3 months 6 techs have joined us from the UK and have settled in very well. However I'm now not in NZ, so if you fancy Brisbane give me a shout

Ian
Hi Ian, Any contacts will be appreciated..
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian, Any contacts will be appreciated..

Here or in NZ?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Here or in NZ?
Hi Ian,

I also work for the German company with the red trucks The contacts i'd be after would be the New Zealand one's. We are keeping our options open as regards to where to live. What would your recommendation's be?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ian,

I also work for the German company with the red trucks The contacts i'd be after would be the New Zealand one's. We are keeping our options open as regards to where to live. What would your recommendation's be?
I'll PM you