Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Your life in NZ vs UK

Your life in NZ vs UK

Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Your life in NZ vs UK

Must work with lots of expats

UK life expectancy must be really good with that wonderful NHS. Oh, wait, it isn't!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

The gender realignment really does take the cake. Do they ever stop to think how many people's taxes it takes to pay for that?

I wonder if in a few decades they will pay to operate on people who believe they are a goat or a tree trapped in a human body.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:29 pm
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Unfortunately in the UK we all know where the NHS is headed, more and more people are having to pay for operations so that they can carry on working as the NHS are now just not offering people the chance just handing out painkillers!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14034835

I used to believe the BBC and the media too (don't forget they're still upset that Labour aren't still in power). I've had course to use the NHS twice in the last year (after 20 years of never using it), I found it to be great, couldn't have expected any better than the service I got. So when you say 'all', maybe you could exclude me?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumph3
I used to believe the BBC and the media too (don't forget they're still upset that Labour aren't still in power). I've had course to use the NHS twice in the last year (after 20 years of never using it), I found it to be great, couldn't have expected any better than the service I got. So when you say 'all', maybe you could exclude me?
Of course the NHS is great the amount of money that is ploughed into it. It is the largest employer in Europe, second only to the Red Army or the Indian Railways - I can't remember which!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:49 pm
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Of course the NHS is great the amount of money that is ploughed into it. It is the largest employer in Europe, second only to the Red Army or the Indian Railways - I can't remember which!
I'm not saying it's good value for money.
I'd much rather keep my NI and get my own health insurance but being as though I'm tight, I'd probably not get any. So maybe NI is a good thing in my case.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I'll help you out on this one: the Indian railways don't operate in Europe.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Leither
Did you intend that pun ('operate')
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

No, it comes naturally.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:22 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Exactly. There is only a limited number of times you can take the one and a half hour drive up the coast to such dismal delights as Foxton, Shannon or Levin before you realise there is absolutely nothing there you want to see or do and you should have saved your petrol.
ha hahahaha. I hear ya brother/sistah.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Salford Lad
hi kevin, sans better half here just had to reply to your post mate, well where do i start whinging about the construction industry in nz sand if thats what they call it? it,s like try,in to lay face brick with gravel, mixers avv,nt used 1 for the last 25 years & then came here & found out it,s all the norm here & to top it all they import them from buxton uk Health & safety ???? is there any in nz ??? right thats me off my soap box ( for the time being lol ) saying that the bonus,s are i don't have to work on sky scrapers any more & driving to work most days are a pleasure ( the southern alps covered in snow etc , the fantastic scenery ) to end , i made my bed gonna lay in it. ps mate keep the posts com-min they make me & sans day.
Yeah, mine was a Belle (the ones made in Buxton), which as you may know are pretty much industry standard back home.

Had to laugh at your reference to “gravel”, but spot on. First time I mixed up a pile of “mud” here I couldn’t believe it…. All the water sank straight to the bottom! Called in Mitre 10 megga store and asked if they had any cement plasticiser, was told no, then went to the builders merchants at Kaiapoi, couldn’t see it on the shelf, asked them, they said “what’s that for?... never heard of it!....... this was not long after we had moved here, bells should have started to ring then!
I was using Pams washing up liquid for until I found a stockist.

On the plus side, I find that the concrete suppliers are somewhat relaxed about their time (unlike UK… turn up, dump, fek’ off!) and are quite helpful. Just gotta watch they don’t wash out the cement truck at the end of your drive, and leave you with a few hundredweight of “pig” in the culvert! (I kid you not).

As for Kiwi brickies… well, not real “brickies” are they bless em’. Ask em to throw down a english garden wall bond or a flemish, and they would look at you gone out. …Skinning up around a timber frame in stretcher isn’t exactly difficult would you say, but hey, horses for courses….

The pr-k that built our place is a “blocklayer” (it is about 18 years old), it was his own place until we bought it. What a rough arse job he made of everything! I can throw down better than that with my eyes shut, and I’m a sparky!... anyway, better not wind myself up again!

Found one decent brickie now, he’s been here for about 17 years I think he said… was from down the smoke, but apart from that he seems okay. Leaves his shit everywhere though (is that part of the apprenticeship training for brickies and chippies?)….

Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
People here take sick on behalf of other family members, really it is pathetic. The wife's sick, so I have to stay home an look after her and can claim sick pay too. I never heard of that being possible when I was in the UK.
I have family sick days written into my contract.
Whilst accepting its a generous benefit, I dont think its pathetic.
It goes a whole long way to recognising work/life balance, and the fact that people have lots of responsibilities.
At the end of the day, employers that offer this are going to be seen as good employers, which is to their benefit.
Of course, there are people who will abuse it, but these people will most likely stand out in other ways too, and probably wont be around too long, or wont get anywhere.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
and the Red Army do???????
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Earlier you used the word "horrible" to describe NZ. Your post above doesn't make NZ look horrible, really. My dogs make my beach interesting, not mini golf

I think that living in Afghanistan, or Sierra Leone, might be "horrible" though

EDIT - for some living in the UK, NZ is in itself a dream holiday........

Jan
Thanks, but I do think its horrible in NZ.
Yeah its not a warzone here or a hunger zone like Kenya or Somalia at the moment, so lets get it into perspective.

But it aint a place to fly half the way round the world for, with all the risks that entails and all the separations and isolations and stress it could cause. IMHO.

I may be different to many here cos I didnt leave cos I didnt like it where I was (quite the contrary, I loved where I came from and had a good life).

I married a kiwi, and for one reason or another 'gave it a try'.
All I can say is, that that was a mistake. It dont compare to where I come from.

Ive heard stories of people from Lanark, North Scotland, Middlesborough , Northampton (Genesis) and Sheffield, and I certainly wouldnt be going back to UK to live in those places.

But there are plenty of places down south that I would go to, and would much prefer to go to.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Browner_
But there are plenty of places down south that I would go to, and would much prefer to go to.
I agree: France.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:44 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Your life in NZ vs UK

Well if I was back in the UK I would be a billionaire married to a model with kids that where always quiet and well behaved. I’d be enjoying lunch with the queen, weekends jetting all over Europe and evenings basking in England’s glorious sun on the balcony of my country mansion as the butler made drinks for me. I would pay no taxes on my fortune and nothing bad would have ever happened to me.

Over here in New Zealand I live in a cardboard box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.