Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main forum

Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main forum

Old May 29th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

joeysfriends is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main forum

Went to NZ for three weeks in march. Loved it. Me, hubby and 15 year old.
Three of us really want to live in NZ - just weighing up pros and cons. Making small strides in the right direction though
- taking on second job with a company that have a lot of vacancies in NZ
- checking out my degree with New Zealand qualification asessors to see if it transfers to an equivalent in NZ
- had house valued yesterday, with a view to selling.

Did many of you take it in small steps before making a final choice, or was it an instant decision?
Old May 30th 2008, 1:45 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main foru

Originally Posted by joeysfriends
Did many of you take it in small steps before making a final choice, or was it an instant decision?
For us it a was a case of 'Decision made - now what do we need to do to make it happen?'.

We then went down the process of getting a working holiday visa, renting out our house, booking flights, organising a container, and coming out here.

Where there's a will, there's a way and all that jazz

Good luck with your steps - to me though it sounds like the decision is made already
Old May 30th 2008, 2:01 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main foru

Same for us. OH was stuck in traffic on M6 (as per bloody usual) on way home from work and heard ad on radio for NZ Expo. Rang me and asked would I like to go to NZ. I said yeah, nothing else going on. And that was it. Never really thought through whether we could actually afford to do it all. Went to Expo. All seemed lovely. Never been to NZ. Just decided to go for it. Put house on market March 07. Came over in March 07 for 6 days for OH interviews. Got job offer. Sold house. Traceked down ex for permission to bring kids. He agreed. Got WTR visas. Booked container and left UK end of May 07. That makes it sound easy, eh?! It wasn't. Extremely stressful and endless stuff to do, but that basically is the way it happened in a nutshell.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

It all went through so quickly for us.... OH got headhunted and offered the job
in Auckland, he texted me to see if I wanted to go live in NZ. I said Yes but only if my best mate would keep my horse for me.... she agreed so we applied for PR and got it in 2 days!!! Took us a few more months to get everything organised.....

Offered the job in December, then were here 6 months later. So, no fits and starts........ but it all went so smoothly the whole move was very straightforward.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:52 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Three of us really want to live in NZ - just weighing up pros and cons. Making small strides in the right direction though
- checking out my degree with New Zealand qualification asessors to see if it transfers to an equivalent in NZ

Saw an ad in the Optician saying NZ immigration officer would be attending, drove 3 hours had a wee chat, gave our details to recruitment officer on the Thursday, Tony had 2 job offers on the Monday, then we applied. Started work a week after we arrived.

Everything was 'meant to be', we sold our house within 3 weeks of it going on the market for only £2,500 less than the asking price, sold the car to someone who let me keep it until the morning of our departure.

No regrets
Old Jun 1st 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

1st visited 1990, fell in love with the place, as the UK became more crowded I regaled the joys of NZ. Oz was an option to but too hot too big and felt I would do better personally in NZ. Think I got the latter right. Kate came 'blind' on my recommendation. We all love NZ, warts and all, after 3 years it just gets better. Living it, loving it.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Rather a progressive decision for us, spent three years saving up for our month long reccie following all the internet research we could possible do, the came home from our reccie knowing we had to give it a shot and nine months down the line - not regretting it.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply - we are inspired!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main foru

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Rather a progressive decision for us, spent three years saving up for our month long reccie following all the internet research we could possible do, the came home from our reccie knowing we had to give it a shot and nine months down the line - not regretting it.
Good to hear! Thank you for your reply.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Red face Re: Was your decision instant, or was progress in fits and starts?-moved to main foru

Originally Posted by Genesis
1st visited 1990, fell in love with the place, as the UK became more crowded I regaled the joys of NZ. Oz was an option to but too hot too big and felt I would do better personally in NZ. Think I got the latter right. Kate came 'blind' on my recommendation. We all love NZ, warts and all, after 3 years it just gets better. Living it, loving it.
Thank you for your reply! Watch this space!