Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Your British passport application...

Your British passport application...

Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your British passport application...

...might be running a little late.

Back in January, I posted about all British passport applications having to be sent back to Liverpool, instead of being processed locally.

Those chickens have now come to roost.

Photographs of stacked passport application files stoke row over delays

Union officials say HM Passport Office is in crisis, with 500,000 cases waiting to be processed, and blame job cuts and office closures, which have left it unable to handle the rising level of demand. Labour and Tory MPs say they have received hundreds of complaints from constituents who claim to have suffered delays in their passport applications. The home affairs select committee has asked Pugh to give evidence on the delays next week.

The photographs show hundreds of boxes of orange and white files stacked on tables. A source close to the Liverpool office said that there were 15 to 20 applications in each box, and that the orange boxes were overseas applications while the white boxes showed those from the UK.

Photographs of stacked passport application files stoke row over delays | Politics | The Guardian

Good things come to those who wait, I guess.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:37 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Your British passport application...

Bugger, that's not good as we need to renew ours.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 1:45 am
Just Joined

HK_Katherine is an unknown quantity at this point

Having been following this for the last few weeks, I have now decided to renew mine when in the UK on holiday later this month. I can't see any other way around it given how much I travel. As usual, the UK stuffs up passports again.

My American work colleague had to get a new passport, in HK, and got one THE SAME DAY.. why can't the UK catch up?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:10 am
Just Joined

jambrose992 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent mine for renewal 6 weeks ago, my status online still states it is "received and being processed" I travel to the States at the end of August, it needs to be here by then! will try to call them tonight, how long will I be on hold for......
Old Jun 11th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I sent mine in 6 weeks ago too. I go on holiday on 19th July. I guessing this may not be happening........

Utterly annoyed
Jan
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:51 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Government denies backlog

Passport Delay Denied: Emergency Plan In Place
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

If there wasn't a backlog, why would they need an emergency plan?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 10:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
so why this from the BBC Breakfast twitter feed..

BBC Breakfast ‏@BBCBreakfast

Minister @JBrokenshire tells #bbcbreakfast 250 extra staff have been drafted in to deal with the current passport application backlog.

BBC Breakfast ‏@BBCBreakfast

Immigration minister @JBrokenshire tells us passport applications at a 12 year high, and normal busy summer period started earlier this year
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Your British passport application...

See the 'Article' on the right hand side -

'Passport Service Cuts Hit Expat Applications'

PM Admits 30,000 Passport Backlog
Old Jun 11th 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Clag is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance just recently changed his name and needed his new passport before our honeymoon in July. We were told the turn around was going to be about 4 weeks, so glad we opted for the premium service to collect it ourselves on the day.....

Arrived in Liverpool for them to tell him that there had been a mistake and he didnt end up getting the passport that day (massive waste of a Sunday AND petrol). Luckily, it came in the post very quickly after that.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:46 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I sent my British passport to Britain for renewal in May. I used NZ Post's check and send service so I got confirmation that it has arrived via their website when I logged on.

A couple of weeks later I e-mailed the passport office's customer services to ask how it was going. They replied to say British adult renewal passport from New Zealand take 6 - 8 weeks to process. Oh yes, and of course, my application just had to go to the Liverpool office didn't it !! Personally I think where it's sent from shouldn't make a shred of difference to the processing time i.e. whether it's from New Zealand, America, Timbuktoo or Sheffield. An adult renewal British passport with everything in order should take the same amount of time. For the record, it doesn't expire until October - no matter.

Now, I don't care as I dont have any overseas travel booked . If I had to go to (let's face it) the UK in an emergency, I'd have to contact the British Embassy/Consulate, erm whatever it took to get an emergency passport/travel document.

However, thousands of British families are having their holiday plans disrupted. (First world problem ?) Anyway

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 12th 2014 at 1:53 am. Reason: Sheffield
Old Jun 12th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I sent mine three weeks ago so we'll wait and see how long that takes.

I am able to get a NZ passport now so perhaps I should get one of those to be on the safe side. I have no overseas travel planned in the near future though so I can wait it out.
Old Jun 12th 2014, 11:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Changes announced today by Theresa May..

BBC News - Fees cut as part of emergency passport backlog measures
Old Jun 13th 2014, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I see the article says "People renewing their UK passports from overseas will be given a 12 month extension to their existing passport".

Damm - paid for mine to be renewed yesterday, but as I'm travelling in Sep, that would be cutting it fine. What to do?!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...assport-demand

Overseas applications

Overseas customers renewing an existing passport will be able to apply for it to be extended for 12 months. This will be done by consular staff in the country where they apply and appointments can be made from Monday 16 June. No additional fees will be charged and the security of the passport will not be affected.

Emergency travel documents for children

Parents or guardians of children living overseas who wish to travel to the UK will be able to apply for an emergency travel document in place of a new or renewed passport for their children. This will be available from the week beginning 16 June in all British diplomatic posts that have access to the passport database, subject to checks to confirm nationality and identity.

Last edited by MOSO; Jun 13th 2014 at 6:22 am.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

GSAI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I sent the following passports for renewal
Mine
My Wife
My 5yr old

I also sent for a new passport for my youngest child (1yr old).

They went to the Belfast Office and the online status just stayed as declaration in progress or something similar for weeks.

After continuously getting fobbed off, we decided it was time to take it to our local MP and results were amazing and instantaneous.

Within 1 day, I had contact from the MP's office who spoke to the passport office and ensured ours was been dealt with as a priority. The next day, I received a query from the passport office along with queries for the person that countersigned my passports and kids photos, response from us was the same day.

After this, I was informed passports were printed and the next day were issued via courier, the turnaround was amazing.

All in all I would say it took 6 weeks but I am guessing that had I not enlisted the help of my MP, they would still be in Belfast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.