Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Young UK family looking to move to NZ - but where, please help :)

Young UK family looking to move to NZ - but where, please help :)

Old Oct 11th 2023, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Moving2Nz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young UK family looking to move to NZ - but where, please help :)

Hi All…

Thanks firstly for your time, we are a young family with a 2 year old and hope to get another one soon! Both parents from the UK and have been living in Bali for many years. Contrary to maybe the idea of island, its been a stressful few years here and we want to spend some time together as a family and take some time out for 6 to 12 months initially.

Could you help make some suggestions as to where you would suggest.

Looking for good people, nice country, a great golf course and good schools.

A few friends have suggested Christchurch maybe but we are open, just maybe not too much traffic or wind!

Many thanks T, Amy and Rumi
Old Oct 11th 2023, 10:35 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Young UK family looking to move to NZ - but where, please help :)

Originally Posted by Moving2Nz
Hi All…

Thanks firstly for your time, we are a young family with a 2 year old and hope to get another one soon! Both parents from the UK and have been living in Bali for many years. Contrary to maybe the idea of island, its been a stressful few years here and we want to spend some time together as a family and take some time out for 6 to 12 months initially.

A few friends have suggested Christchurch maybe but we are open, just maybe not too much traffic or wind!

Are you looking to emigrate to NZ please ? If so then it will be which visa policy and where the job offer dovetails to the occupation . Not all areas are in need and not all occupations in shortage.

If you mean a visit, then if you are British you can stay 6 months.

If you or your parents are Oz citizens then you are free to choose anywhere.
Old Oct 11th 2023, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

Moving2Nz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Are you looking to emigrate to NZ please ? If so then it will be which visa policy and where the job offer dovetails to the occupation . Not all areas are in need and not all occupations in shortage.

If you mean a visit, then if you are British you can stay 6 months.

If you or your parents are Oz citizens then you are free to choose anywhere.

We are British and want to try for 6-12 months, happy to FIFO for visa, more about trying to find the right place!
Not looking to work for a while
Old Oct 11th 2023, 11:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All…

I did nearly 4 years down in NZ before moving to the US via Ireland. If you’re young enough you may be able to get a WHV for a year. I went on one, then found an employer who sponsored my work via and then I applied for residency on points. I have an NZ IRRV now but moved to the US. Property prices down in NZ are crazy vs incomes, so I think I have a much better lifestyle here, and I choose here over NZ, UK and all the EU countries, I can live in 30 countries without any visa now.

Money no object if I went back to NZ I would go to Bay of Islands / Northland for warm, or down around Queenstown for outdoor/skiing etc. I lived out in West Auckland when I was there (near Titirangi) in what is technically rainforest, and love that area, but I would not do an Auckland again, the traffic is terrible if you have to commute… my friends who stayed there moved to the Coromandel with their children and love it there.

I had friends with young kids visit us here in CT (metro NYC) from NZ and they were amazed at how much stuff there is for kids here. Which makes sense given the respective populations… NZ is great for outdoors, but once you get in to the grind in Auckland you get to busy to get away enough to make it worth being there.
Old Oct 11th 2023, 11:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As they have a dependant child the WHV route is not available to them.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are British and want to try for 6-12 months, happy to FIFO for visa, more about trying to find the right place!

As a visitor just on the ETA (for visa waiver countries) you can stay for up to 3 months
With a visitor visa you can stay longer than 3 months
If you want to stay longer you need t get a different type of visa
If not intending to work then you will need to show you can support yourself and family for the duration

https://www.ivisa.com/new-zealand/bl...esident%20Visa.
Old Oct 12th 2023, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All…

Can't help with NZ now, but you need to ask yourself what you want. This could basically be anywhere " Looking for good people, nice country, a great golf course and good schools"
Bali is probably overcrowded enough and has traffic, but why did you go to Bali and what would you expect from Christchurch? People who move to these places (Indonesia, Thailand etc.) are often focused on climate, reality is that Christchurch will also see frost and anywhere near the coast in NZ will be windy for those who aren't used to it.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 12th 2023 at 7:40 am.
Old Nov 4th 2023, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I don't quite understand why you are looking to settle somewhere. If money's no real object, and you have no school-age children, why not just drift for a while?
Old Nov 4th 2023, 7:40 am
Just Joined

MaxiStavros is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally would advise to move to the north island. We were in Timaru and it was a disaster, absolutely nothing about, nowhere to see or go, no decent beaches even. When we visited the north island and saw Auckland and explored that area we realised that was what we wanted from New Zealand, it was beautiful, vibrant, really lovely. Make sure you locate to an area you would love to be in. Use Google street view to see the area looks like how you want it to be.
Old Nov 5th 2023, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaxiStavros
Use Google street view to see the area looks like how you want it to be.
Shame you didn't think of that when you went to Timaru.

The problem is, what people want is subjective. Personally I can't abide Auckland. It's a terrible place. The CBD is the most uninspiring place of any major city I've been to. The traffic is horrendous. The cost of housing is outrageous. You can't swim safely as there are no blue flag beaches. I spent 2 years there and couldn't wait to leave. I would rather be somewhere smaller, quieter and rural. However, that was just my experience and as I said, it's subjective.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 5th 2023 at 7:00 am.