Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Young single male moving to Welly alone in 3 weeks, any tips?

Young single male moving to Welly alone in 3 weeks, any tips?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

nacnudus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young single male moving to Welly alone in 3 weeks, any tips?

Hi there,

I'm 22, have got citizenship through my Kiwi Dad and am coming to Wellington on the 24th Sept, ready or not!

Only one major worry: what salary can I live on?

The last single guy to ask this kind of question already had a job worth $150k, I think, so he should be having a pretty good time by now. I hope to get some temporary work to start with, equating to $30k if I'm lucky (I type 70wpm but have practically no work experience), and plan to rent a room in a shared flat. These seem to go for around $400-$800 per month.

Has anyone else done a similar move? What did you pack into your two 23 kilo bags? Would I be better off on a farm?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future
Default Re: Young single male moving to Welly alone in 3 weeks, any tips?

Originally Posted by nacnudus
Hi there,

I'm 22, have got citizenship through my Kiwi Dad and am coming to Wellington on the 24th Sept, ready or not!

The last single guy to ask this kind of question already had a job worth $150k, I think, so he should be having a pretty good time by now. I hope to get some temporary work to start with, equating to $30k if I'm lucky (I type 70wpm but have practically no work experience), and plan to rent a room in a shared flat. These seem to go for around $400-$800 per month.

Has anyone else done a similar move? What did you pack into your two 23 kilo bags? Would I be better off on a farm?
I have a few single mates living around Mt Vic area and they don't spend much - have a shared flat, walk to work, main expense is beer! They live quite comfortably on $40k-$60k (and somehow manage to save!). Loads of temp/contract jobs with government departments.

Good luck with the move!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Hi there,

You should be fine with a good typing speed & a bit of office experience. You've definitely got the right idea with a flatshare - I'm sure you'll meet people quickly that way.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

nacnudus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your encouraging replies. It feels a bit mad to be making this leap, so some advice on the odd niggle is really welcome!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:57 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I suggest to try and get a hold of Irnbru 14 - young(ish!!) single man...he should be able to help