Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

EllieJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Hi!
I'm a 29 yr old female moving to Auckland to start a new job. Although I'm really excited, I'm also kind of worried as I literally know no one!

Can anyone advise me of any forums / websites that I can meet similar aged people which might help kick start my social life!

Thanks, Ellie
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:21 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Originally Posted by EllieJ
Hi!
I'm a 29 yr old female moving to Auckland to start a new job. Although I'm really excited, I'm also kind of worried as I literally know no one!

Can anyone advise me of any forums / websites that I can meet similar aged people which might help kick start my social life!

Thanks, Ellie
Hi there. I've got a 27 year old friend here who unfortunately has had to go back to the UK because of family illness but she came here on her own. She's into kite sailing and diving and just about everything really which definitely helped her settle in. The biggest bonus, for her anyway, was that she shared a house with a group of young Kiwis and really got into life here. Good luck.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi!

Thanks, Ellie
Cant help with forums for single people but just like to say welcome, and what area are you moving to in Auckland...There is a crowd of us in East Auckland area and although we are all married... you are more than welcome to come and meet up with us if you are in this area..we do things without the hubbys tooits amazing how everyone rallys round to help each other out...the friends you make out here become your extended families...

Flat sharing with someone your own age is a good way to meet some friends too...and IMHO probably central Auckland would be the better area for single people...hope this helps..anything you are needing checked out,just give us a shout...Jacky
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

Thanks, Ellie
Hi Ellie and welcome.

What line of work have you landed and what area of Auckland?

I have a friend back in the UK whose sister is in Auckland on her own, I could IM her and find out how she has got on if that's any use to you?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

kimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to all

Hey Ellie!

When are you planning on moving to Auckland? and what part? Me and my partner are moving to Auckland later next year. Can't wait!

Kim x
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have anywhere to go? I can't help with chatsites. There seem to be a lot of Auckland based sites for teenagers and a lot for singles looking to hook up, but I'm not sure that's what you're after. Do a NZ Google and have a look.

If you don't yet know where you want to be I'd say head for somewhere like Mt Eden or thereabouts which is nice and close to town or maybe Greenlane, One Tree Hill which has some entertainment. The town centre is not that lively actually as a lot of stuff goes on in the suburbs, but when shows come to town it's nice to be close and there are lots of restaurants, bars, nightclubs etc If you like surfing and stuff you might like to try the western suburbs like Henderson. You'll meet people once you join clubs or sports or whatever you're into. If you don't know what you're into try a skydiving course at Parakai. They train in town and you get to meet all sorts of people. Once you get a job too you'll find you'll go for drinks on Friday and you'll get to know what's what.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

BexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really niceBexW is just really nice

Ooooh I just saw this thread! I'm a young female moving to Auckland on my own! I was there for 4 months before so have a bunch of friends too who like beaches, coffee etc. Not so much into the clubbing scene tho. I have no idea of social networking things online though. I would really recommend getting involved in 'something' quickly- join a gym or club, something sporty if you're into sports, a class in painting (lol, no idea why I said painting, just came into my head...) or something. Kiwis are generally very friendly, open & welcoming, I'm sure you'll quickly meet people. Even the people working in shops are friendly!
Where abouts in Aucks are you gonna be living, and what job are you gonna be doing? Do you have accomodation sorted? Invite people over for a bbq or coffee or cake or something!! In the first few days/weeks, make a huge effort to meet people etc, it's worth it in the end!!!
Let me know how things are going, when do you move? All the best, I'm going at the start of February, can't wait for some sunshine!!!!
Bex
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

rachaelthornley is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Hi!

Thanks, Ellie
Hi there,

I am in the same position, i move over next week (fly from heathrow on 3rd jan and get to auckland 5th jan). I have just received my 3year visa and will be working in newmarket as of 13th jan (have a week to explore before i start). I'm excited but a little scared as i am leaving all my friends and family in manchester. I hope to meet some new friends and im glad to hear its not just me thats in this position.

I need to meet some friends or my social life will be non existant. I am 24years old, very independant, a girly girl, likes to go for a couple of glasses of wine at a weekend / nice meal but relax in the week with a dvd or have a good chat. I like a quiet week with wrk, wouldnt say im a big party person who comes in waking everyone up but very sociable and friendly. I love shopping, makeup, nice clothes, going to the pictures and meeting new people.

Let me know when you are over in auckland.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Dec 29th 2008 at 10:22 pm. Reason: Pls don't post your personal details, send them by PM perhaps?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:48 am
Just Joined

beth25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am also in the same position as you guys. I'm 25 and also on my own. I know a few people in Auckland but not many! It is scary but also exciting, and its good to know that we aren't the only ones doing this out there! I move to Auckland around the end of Jan, i've been in NZ for 4 months now, travelling around and found a job right in the centre.
If your up for meeting any time, i'd be happy to cos i'm in the same daunting situation as you! I would feel a bit more at ease aswell if I knew some brits!

Beth
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

kimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to allkimberleyclarke2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by beth25
Hi,
I am also in the same position as you guys. I'm 25 and also on my own. I know a few people in Auckland but not many!

Beth
Hey Beth!

I move to NZ in march! It will be good to meet up as i wont no many people either! Lol. Bex, Rach and i are all going ot meet up when we get there, im sure you can join us

x x x
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Young female moving to Auckland on my own...

Hey!
Great to hear from you thanks for getting back to me!

That would be great if we could all meet up, i'd really like that. Well by march time i'll hopefully be a bit settled in my job etc, and know my way around Auckland! Bex has tried to private msg me but it won't let me open it for some reason? (Bex-if you read this, sorry I haven't got back to you! I can't get in my inbox!)
What date do you come over and where are you moving to?

Beth x
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beth25
Hey!
Great to hear from you thanks for getting back to me!

That would be great if we could all meet up, i'd really like that. Well by march time i'll hopefully be a bit settled in my job etc, and know my way around Auckland! Bex has tried to private msg me but it won't let me open it for some reason? (Bex-if you read this, sorry I haven't got back to you! I can't get in my inbox!)
What date do you come over and where are you moving to?

Beth x
Think you need to have 3 posts before you can do the PM thing
Old Jan 17th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

ah right I see! Thanks for the info!