Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Young and Ambitious

Young and Ambitious

Old Mar 18th 2017, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Charlie.Bradbury93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young and Ambitious

Hi, Im charlie, I haven't been on a forum before so i hope i don't do anything wrong or socially unacceptable.

My Story

I am 23 years old and me and my girlfriend who is also 23 are looking to move to New Zealand in the foreseeable future. I am a fully qualified electrician and she is a fully qualified nurse.

How easy is it to become a registered electrician in New Zealand from the UK?

Would my girlfriend have to do anything to get a job as a nurse?

How easy is it to find both electrician and nursing roles around the same areas?

Is there any kind of agency that can help with everything?

I have heard of agencies that find you places to live and jobs and all those types of things but can't seem to find any on a quick google search

Any help would be much appreciated, i feel like we are in a deep sea with all things we have to sort out!

Charlie
Old Mar 18th 2017, 8:01 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young and Ambitious

to work as an electrician in NZ you would need to gain NZ Registration. this site will help you to gain that:

Requirements for overseas applicants | Electrical Workers Registration Board

For your partner she would need to gain registration also through:

International registration / Nurses / Home - Nursing Council of New Zealand

She wouls also have to pass the IELTS

https://www.ielts.org/what-is-ielts/...on/new-zealand

either of you applying could gain a visa if your registrations and points add up so you are in a good position with either of you applying, if you apply with your partner as main applicant then your would get a permanent visa, if you apply with you as main applicant you could get a work to residency visa and then apply for a residency from work 2 years later and if all is same and the rules have not changed to discount you then that visa gives you the right to remain. but you could always do the work to residency and have your partners skilled application applied for at the same time which immediately gives you right to remain.
so it all depends on what route you want to take.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charlie.Bradbury93
Hi, Im charlie, I haven't been on a forum before so i hope i don't do anything wrong or socially unacceptable.

My Story

I am 23 years old and me and my girlfriend who is also 23 are looking to move to New Zealand in the foreseeable future. I am a fully qualified electrician and she is a fully qualified nurse.

How easy is it to become a registered electrician in New Zealand from the UK?

Would my girlfriend have to do anything to get a job as a nurse?

How easy is it to find both electrician and nursing roles around the same areas?

Is there any kind of agency that can help with everything?

I have heard of agencies that find you places to live and jobs and all those types of things but can't seem to find any on a quick google search

Any help would be much appreciated, i feel like we are in a deep sea with all things we have to sort out!

Charlie
Not sure about sparkeys....but as mrs F said for your mrs registration is the first thing to sort out....there is plenty of us nurses on here for help and advice and dealing with the NZNC can be a strange and frustrating experience
Old Mar 20th 2017, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly true that an electrician must be registered to work in NZ. To work alone an electrician must be registered, but you can be a non registered fully supervised electrician, a trainee or apprentice.....even if you are in fact an experienced electrician from overseas so the NZ registration thing doesnt have to prevent you or delay you in getting work here.

In some areas of NZ - eg Auckland/Christchurch, the demand for the tradesmen is so high, employers able to offer work to overseas candidates are giving the contracts so the people can get the visas and they then work towards getting the registration once here and working. The benefit for the company is they get a qualified electrician over here working on lower salary (as they can't command a higher salary without registration) but the downside is that person has to be supervised.
Advantage for the person is they get a job offer and are able to come out without having to get the registration first. The downside is lower wages until they get the registration and having to be supervised. It's like being an apprentice all over again even though it's highly likely they'll know more than the person supervising them,however this will only be temporary till the registration comes through. Maybe the company will also fund or part-fund the registration.

Registration is a pain in the arse having to submit qualification and work experience evidence to the EWRB for assessment which isn't cheap to then be told how much extra it'll cost you to get a Limited license and then again what you'll have to do and how much time and money to get the full license.

As for nurse registration you cannot work without it so better to get it done from overseas, however you can also do it herea and you must do the Academic IELTS and pass at minimum overall 7.0 irrespective of background. It is mandatory.
My wife did her registration from the UK. Took around 3 months with the hardest bit being getting the proof from the school of nursing in the UK.
A friend of ours who got a job on Wellington DHB NICU got the job without NZ nurse registration, started registration process before moving out and then had to wait for it to come through before she could start the job in NZ.