Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You thought Fray Bentos pies were bad ....

You thought Fray Bentos pies were bad ....

Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Smile You thought Fray Bentos pies were bad ....

'Finally, an odd menu addition to Pizza Huts in New Zealand has us pretty happy that we aren't Kiwis. According to the company's Facebook, CheeZee Marmite stuffed crust pizza is now a reality. That's right, folks. You can unfortunately get both "mozzarella" and the yeasty, protein-rich spread crammed into the crust of your Pizza Hut pizza.'

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...hut_waffle.php

It's not even proper Marmite.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You thought Fray Bentos pies were bad ....

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
'Finally, an odd menu addition to Pizza Huts in New Zealand has us pretty happy that we aren't Kiwis. According to the company's Facebook, CheeZee Marmite stuffed crust pizza is now a reality. That's right, folks. You can unfortunately get both "mozzarella" and the yeasty, protein-rich spread crammed into the crust of your Pizza Hut pizza.'

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel...hut_waffle.php

It's not even proper Marmite.
We saw the CheeZee Marmite stuffed crust option last night as we grabbed some pizza's and my son who eats marmite out of the jar, when he gets the chance even turned his nose up... it does not look appetizing...
Old Feb 28th 2014, 10:22 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That looks disgusting

I really didn't need to know that such a concoction existed
I think even Mr S the lover of all things Marmite would turn his nose up at that
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

It's just plain

WRONG!

Old Mar 1st 2014, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Gross !
I don't understand why Fray Bentos are getting such a slagging off.
Kate and Sidney,chips,gravy a decent curry/kebab alternative.
It was the Tyne Brand ones that had Pedigree Chum in 😄
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Pizza's in general, in my experience, have been terrible in NZ. The dough to meat and cheese ratio is way too much in favour of the former. It's glorified cheese on toast (if it wasn't in the first place).

Any suggestions for decent Pizza in and around Auckland would be welcome.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

I've always found Hell's Pizza to be the best out of the fast food chains.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I agree that the pizza in New Zealand isn't very good, but is it true that pizza varies widely throughout the world, sort of like Chinese food? What is the basis of comparison? What is good British pizza like, for example?

I grew up on New Jersey pizza, always bought from a local pizza joint. It's the same as New York style pizza, only better! I never had Pizza Hut until I came to NZ, and it's very disappointing. We've tried Sal's Pizza in Parnell, it's supposed to be New York style, but it's only OK. Sort of lacks flavor, yet manages to be very salty. You can have similar by ordering the X-Large thin crust from Pizza Hut, and asking for extra tomato base and extra cheese. Anyway, Sal's offers mostly pizzas, and a few bready snacks and wings, so not really like a good pizza joint from Jersey/NYC, where you usually get calzones, strombolis, and hot/cold subs too. Also, it's expensive, $24.00 NZD for a large pizza, as compared to $16.00 NZD for a large pizza in NJ.

The marmite pizza sounds truly disgusting, but not much more disgusting to me than the various swirls on offer. You don't need swirls if your pizza is made from good crusty dough, tasty tomato sauce and lots of real mozzarella with good toppings. Never heard of swirls until NZ.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I agree that the pizza in New Zealand isn't very good, but is it true that pizza varies widely throughout the world, sort of like Chinese food? What is the basis of comparison? What is good British pizza like, for example?
Good pizza is subjective and the locale of where that pizza is from is irrelevant. I've had terrible pizza in the UK too. But the chaps at Papa John's in Isleworth, never let me down. Nor did the Turkish fellas at Pizza Go-Go on Tottenham High Road.

They created pizza that were cheesy and meaty, but managed not to partner this with a soggy dough base. Lightly crisp without shredding your gums with shards of brittle dough flying about your mouth with each bite.

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Also, it's expensive, $24.00 NZD for a large pizza, as compared to $16.00 NZD for a large pizza in NJ.
I have to admit, that when it comes to comfort food value very much drives my judgement. Pizza in NZ is expensive and worthwhile offers are rarely forthcoming.

Pizza Go-Go did any pizza, any size for £8. Where as Papa John's regularly did offers for more pizza than I could eat for £15 or less.

That said, this really isn't a deal breaker, it's very much a 1st world problem and less pizza isn't a bad thing for my health

For what it's worth, I'd give this Marmite pizza a run if it was with Marmite from Blightly.

When working in the UK a fellow colleague bought in some of this;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...ting-tail.html

Last edited by TommyLuck; Mar 2nd 2014 at 8:53 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 9:47 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Pizza's in general, in my experience, have been terrible in NZ. The dough to meat and cheese ratio is way too much in favour of the former. It's glorified cheese on toast (if it wasn't in the first place).

Home make them TL. They will be so authentic, delicious and much better for you! Oh and if you want to take it a step further build a pizza oven in your back garden

We use Jamie Oliver''s dough recipe and home make the tommy sauce to go on top, then add mozzarella and toppings. Whack it in the oven on a hot pizza stone for 10 mins. You will never go back to shop or restaurant bought pizza's again! Much cheaper, much healthier and much more tasty. You can also freeze the ingredients. In our freezer we have balls of dough, frozen home made sauce and a bag of mozzarella. Pull it all out on the day you want it and you've got lunch/dinner (breakfast?!) sorted.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pizza for breakfast? Now you're talking!!

I'm not adverse to home making pizza, but I've never achieved what someone who does it well for a living can attain. I make 9780864727909 curries at home, but I'll still go to an Indian restaurant now and again.

I'd be quite happy to swing by one day when I'm in your neck of the wood and sample your homemade pizza and get some instruction!!

As for shop bought pizza - never. Certainly not if it's housed in a cardboard box in a freezer!!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You wanna good, authentic pizza?
You go where the Italiano's maka & eata them

Right HERE in Nelson
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

*Books flights to Nelson ...*
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

A decent pizza

Tuto Bennes on Papanui Road, John Keys favourite restaurant

The pizzas there are to die for. Yum yum yum yum yum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.