Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are you thinking of getting a dog ?

Are you thinking of getting a dog ?

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:19 pm
childfreeandlovingit

Default Re: Are you thinking of getting a dog ?

Originally Posted by xpat19
Hi. We have reluctantly decided to re home one of our dogs as we're re locating, and want to find a nice home for her.
I've attached the link with pics if anyone is looking for, or knows some one who wants to adopt a dog.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. Thanks.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living...n-59010472.htm
I don't understand how anyone can rehome their dog just because it doesn't fit in with the plans. We cannot get a rented property in NZ which takes 2 dogs, so guess what? We stay in the UK until such times as we can. I'm sorry to take a pop at you, but decisions like yours astonish me.

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by childfreeandlovingit
I don't understand how anyone can rehome their dog just because it doesn't fit in with the plans. We cannot get a rented property in NZ which takes 2 dogs, so guess what? We stay in the UK until such times as we can. I'm sorry to take a pop at you, but decisions like yours astonish me.
You dont know the circumstances. So according to you I shouldve stayed in the UK because I decided not to bring my horse with me to NZ. For one it wouldve cost us all the money we had, and also he hated travelling and I had visions of him freaking out on the way over here and having to be shot. That doesnt make me bad or horrible.... dont be so hard. Its posts like this make me not want to bother visiting this site anymore.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:35 pm
childfreeandlovingit

Originally Posted by SarahB
You dont know the circumstances. So according to you I shouldve stayed in the UK because I decided not to bring my horse with me to NZ. For one it wouldve cost us all the money we had, and also he hated travelling and I had visions of him freaking out on the way over here and having to be shot. That doesnt make me bad or horrible.... dont be so hard. Its posts like this make me not want to bother visiting this site anymore.
Tell me about it - I stopped using this site a while back because people were pissing me off with their flippant attitude to animals when considering emigrating - it doesn't make you bad or horrible, but it does make you selfish. If you take on the responsibilty of any animal, be it a horse or a chipmunk, you take that responsibilty for life and not until something better comes along. You've offended me and I've offended you, so lets draw a line under it. However, I do wish you well in finding a home for your dog.

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Tell me about it - I stopped using this site a while back because people were pissing me off with their flippant attitude to animals when considering emigrating - it doesn't make you bad or horrible, but it does make you selfish. If you take on the responsibilty of any animal, be it a horse or a chipmunk, you take that responsibilty for life and not until something better comes along. You've offended me and I've offended you, so lets draw a line under it. However, I do wish you well in finding a home for your dog.
No I'm not selfish, I did what the best thing was for my horse at the time although it made me cry a lot.... its not easy to give an animal up. He is now still back in the UK looking after my best friend who has cancer, and he gives her the strength to carry on every day.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 7:58 pm
childfreeandlovingit

No I'm not selfish, I did what the best thing was for my horse at the time although it made me cry a lot.... its not easy to give an animal up. He is now still back in the UK looking after my best friend who has cancer, and he gives her the strength to carry on every day.
Yes I should imagine it's very difficult. Glad your horse is with your friend. I can never see us ending up in NZ cos it's so difficult to rent with 2 dogs. My friend has just rehomed her dog (yes I did give her a very very hard time)!, and she gets photos of her regularly and it's nice to see her running around on a farm - it'll turn out good for your dog, there's lots of nice people out there.

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I should imagine it's very difficult. Glad your horse is with your friend. I can never see us ending up in NZ cos it's so difficult to rent with 2 dogs. My friend has just rehomed her dog (yes I did give her a very very hard time)!, and she gets photos of her regularly and it's nice to see her running around on a farm - it'll turn out good for your dog, there's lots of nice people out there.
Its not my dog, is belongs to xpat19. I hope she has found a good home for her by now as she looked lovely on the pictures. We are moving into our own property soon and I did ask my OH about taking on xpat19's bitch but he said we cant afford it right now and I'm sorry to say hes right. We took on 2 cats with the rental we are in now, the previous tenent said she was going to have them destoyed. They are lovely cats and part of the family now... they move with us next month to our new house thats for sure! The horse I have here is also rescued from Jimbo's pet food fate... all our animals here are rescued... we are lucky to have them in our lives.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 12:23 pm
childfreeandlovingit

Its not my dog, is belongs to xpat19. I hope she has found a good home for her by now as she looked lovely on the pictures. We are moving into our own property soon and I did ask my OH about taking on xpat19's bitch but he said we cant afford it right now and I'm sorry to say hes right. We took on 2 cats with the rental we are in now, the previous tenent said she was going to have them destoyed. They are lovely cats and part of the family now... they move with us next month to our new house thats for sure! The horse I have here is also rescued from Jimbo's pet food fate... all our animals here are rescued... we are lucky to have them in our lives.
I hope the move goes well for you all. If money was no object I'd be taking in all the waifs and strays, I guess you just have to draw the line somewhere.
We are really really concerned about moving to NZ because we have been told that it is very definately not a dog friendly place to live. I'm now very worried and very unsure!

Old Jul 3rd 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It's not too bad - not as dog-friendly as UK but there are loads of dogs around and a reasonable amount of places to exercise them. Out of summer, nearly all beaches are dog-friendly, in summer you're restricted to early mornings and evenings on most around here. And there are loads of reserves (parks) where dogs are allowed.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Hi. Thanks for all your replies. We're not re homing her because she's
" Inconvenient " ...... Goodness - if we were that way inclined we would have adopted the kids out years ago.
We also bought our cat to NZ with us when we moved 5 yrs ago, we're not the sort of people who think pets are a part time hobby.

There are always going to be self righteous people around who are so full of their own opinions they don't stop to consider things aren't always black or white.

We haven't re homed Tybee yet. We've been on holiday and she and our other dog went to their " Hotel " for a week.
There may be some one nice interested in her, hopefully we'll meet this week.
If it doesn't work out then we'll carry on loking at other options.
Thanks again for your ( mainly ) support.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Good luck again.

I do wish we could take her on but we just cant.... I did ask OH (more than once). I can imagine that the cats might move out if we told them a dog was coming to live with them... lol
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:33 pm
childfreeandlovingit

Originally Posted by xpat19
Hi. Thanks for all your replies. We're not re homing her because she's
" Inconvenient " ...... Goodness - if we were that way inclined we would have adopted the kids out years ago.
We also bought our cat to NZ with us when we moved 5 yrs ago, we're not the sort of people who think pets are a part time hobby.

There are always going to be self righteous people around who are so full of their own opinions they don't stop to consider things aren't always black or white.

We haven't re homed Tybee yet. We've been on holiday and she and our other dog went to their " Hotel " for a week.
There may be some one nice interested in her, hopefully we'll meet this week.
If it doesn't work out then we'll carry on loking at other options.
Thanks again for your ( mainly ) support.

I'm so sorry, I seem to have really upset you. That wasn't my intention at all. I can be a little self righteous at times, but I do recognise it and I am working on it. Good luck with the dog.

Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

I'm so sorry, I seem to have really upset you. That wasn't my intention at all. I can be a little self righteous at times, but I do recognise it and I am working on it. Good luck with the dog.
Well done , we all have are problems with our pets , us too my dog can not travel, and god if he could i would take him with us, i will miss him so oooo
much and will never spend one day not thinking about him.
I know,you didn't mean it that way,but think before you write, loving dog owners wouldn't do it without a reason, sorry and loving horse owners as well
jane
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Thanks, I appreciate that.

SarahB, your cats would definately not be impressed, although, Tybee being the wuss that she is would soon get licked into shape !!
waynepfry - best of luck with your move. You're being very brave by doing whats best for your dog and not for you. It's not an easy decision is it..