Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You may have PR but be aware....

You may have PR but be aware....

Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You may have PR but be aware....

Originally Posted by P18PPS
We have PR and arrived 2.5 years ago to our new life in new zealand (and loving it still), I had to return to the UK a couple of weeks ago for a family funeral . We (me and 3 kids) got last minute flights and flew out less than 24 hours after booking - I did a quick check on passports being in date - yes (although had to obtain a quickie passport for the latest addition to the family who is now kiwi) - this was obtained in less than 24 hours (really good service)..... on returning to NZ however it became apparent that our "returning residents permits" were out of date (by 16 days) for 3 of us (obviously 6 month old kiwi didn't need one). Expensive mistake to make - nearly got pulled from the plane at Heathrow as they realised their mistake, then had to pay £3000 for returning tickets to proove that we were "just visiting new zealand"(!!?) .... in the process now of getting refund on the £3k flights and this will take 6-8 weeks from air new zealand.

Just a reminder to all - even though you have PR check that all the other permits are in date!!!

AND NEVER FLY SOLO with 3 kids on a 28 hour flight
Just a quick question and sorry for your family's loss but if you contact Air New Zealand you can get a form to fill in to apply for a reduction in the original fares you paid to go over and back. It was a very simple form to fill in.

I did this a couple of years back now and not many people know about this. All you need is a copy of the death notice or something proving you were related to the deceased person.

(I only found this out when i had to delay my flight home as i had hurt my knee and couldnt fly and the air nz chick said to me i notice you booked and flew within days so i explained that my gran was dying and had in fact passed away and she tol me about this) Its worth looking into as i think i got around $250 back and that was just for me.
Good luck with it all
Cheers
Cally
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: You may have PR but be aware....

Originally Posted by JAJ
These days Germans can become citizens of other EU states without losing German citizenship. They can also become NZ citizens provided they get permission in advance to retain German citizenship.
Yay heres JAJ now he deff knows what hes talking about!
Old Oct 17th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jajpe
We are currently in uk applying for new uk passports. Am aware we will need the IRRV sticker transfered to the new passports.

Cannot seem to find much info on how to actually do this. Am a nurse recovering from a night shift so having mashed potao for a brain might be why!

Anyway would appreciate a clear answer from someone who has done it if poss. Have found out from UK NZIS website it will cost 35 pounds each but cant see if we need to fill in any forms or if we simply post new and old passports to london with a wee letter. Also how long is it likely to take to get passports back and if you go in person to nz house do you need an appointment and could you get it done in a day if really pushed for time.

Sorry for so many questions.
Just send the passports in to London with a note explaining. I would send it recorded delivery it doesnt take too long and is no problem.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

That's right! And, if I am assuming correctly that you have not yet been to NZ yet, that you would not qualify for an indefinite RRV, but may qualify for one for 12 months. You have to demonstrate a committment to NZ to get a RRV.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:21 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

We fly back to Poole UK thios Christmas and have been here over 3 years and will be nearly 4 when we go, i had heard all the horror stories etc, so went into our local office here in Dunedin , though we had to get copies of this and copies of that all that stuff we did in UK again, i was running a business and they wanted bank statements etc , i was thinking " what the F***" all this again, but once i got to the Immigration officer she told me " na dont need all that you have been here over 3 years, just pay $100 odd and we have now got Indeffinite ones, we are stillnot applying for our citizenship yet, but maybe one day.

Good luck to all
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

One tip - I had to buy onward tickets from NZ for a similar reason last year. I bought online the expensive, fully-refundable ones AKL-SYD. Once in NZ I cancelled them online and got a full refund instantly - so although the initial cost may seem scary, this is probably easier than buying cheaper ones and then having to haggle for a refund.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh, you need to be clear on this some of you!

A Returning Residents Visa may have an expiry date, or may be "indefinate".

Until you have a Returning Residents Visa which is "indefinate", then you really dont have permanent residency at all, as there is no guarantee you will get back in the country if you arrived with an expired RRV.

If you have a valid RRV, then you will get a valid Residents Permit each time you arrive in the country, simple as that.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

A Returning Residents Visa may have an expiry date, or may be "indefinate".

Until you have a Returning Residents Visa which is "indefinate", then you really dont have permanent residency at all, as there is no guarantee you will get back in the country if you arrived with an expired RRV.

If you have a valid RRV, then you will get a valid Residents Permit each time you arrive in the country, simple as that.
Call me pedantic, but it's "indefinite" (both times)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

nzewe is an unknown quantity at this point

We are due to update our RRV with IRRV and although NZIS have confirmed that we do qualify, they want to charge us $140 each (there are 4 of us) to update the passports. Is this correct? We were told when we first asked them that only the principal applicant paid and the rest of the family qualified automatically. Can anybody advise on this?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we have just done ours and it is only the principle applicant who pays the $140, the rest of the family are all covered in that.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:06 am
Just Joined

nzewe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, that's what we thought. Will send them $140 and see what happens.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:07 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_

Crap, according to your theory no Australian PR's are actually permanent residents as all OZ RRV's have a 5 year expiry date.

BTW why would you arrive with an expired RRV? you'd have to be pretty stupid / forgetful not to take care of your resident visa

Last edited by ex_exile; Oct 20th 2008 at 12:09 pm.