Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You may have PR but be aware....

You may have PR but be aware....

Old Mar 29th 2008, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all
Default Re: You may have PR but be aware....

Hey.....you guys are good!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:19 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Our 2 year returning visas have nearly expired and we will be applying for indefinite returning visas.So does this mean that there will be no restrictions on the new visas? In theory, could one return to the UK for several years and still come back with Permanent Residency? If so, what is the benefit of getting citizenship?
For some people dual nationality isn't an option. If they were to become Kiwi citizens they may well lose entitlement to certain benefits offered to citizens of their 'home' country. I've been told Japan is one of these countries and it may be wrong, but I heard Germany won't pay a state pension to German citizens who take on the citizenship of another country.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:45 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
For some people dual nationality isn't an option. If they were to become Kiwi citizens they may well lose entitlement to certain benefits offered to citizens of their 'home' country. I've been told Japan is one of these countries and it may be wrong, but I heard Germany won't pay a state pension to German citizens who take on the citizenship of another country.
Taking the example of Germany, you can be born a dual German / country X citizen but if you want to aquire another nationality later in life you are required to renounce German citizenship. The same applies in reverse, if you want to become a German citizen later in life you have to give up your birth citizenship (see the Shane Warne wants to become a German so he can play in the English county championship fiasco)

Thems the breaks you have to choose.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Lets hope if they do decide to stop IRRV for citizenship reasons as ex-exile quoted lets hope the people with it retain it and it doesnt become invalid if you know what i mean.........
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Taking the example of Germany, you can be born a dual German / country X citizen but if you want to aquire another nationality later in life you are required to renounce German citizenship. The same applies in reverse, if you want to become a German citizen later in life you have to give up your birth citizenship (see the Shane Warne wants to become a German so he can play in the English county championship fiasco).
These days Germans can become citizens of other EU states without losing German citizenship. They can also become NZ citizens provided they get permission in advance to retain German citizenship.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:21 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
These days Germans can become citizens of other EU states without losing German citizenship. They can also become NZ citizens provided they get permission in advance to retain German citizenship.
I stand corrected, this appears to be true. As long as you ask and are granted permission before you attain another nationality you can retain German Citizenship. I wonder what the problem was with Warnie
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

UK passport holders are some of the few who can hold UK/NZ citizenship
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:25 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Also someone told us yesterday that if you leave the country for a holiday and return your ' one year driving on a uk licence' allowance is also restarted? news to me and not sure I believe it!
A bit of advise - the license bit is NOT strictly true - husband got stopped speeding last week and argued the 12 months in the country bit to the police officer (he travels between here and Oz frequently on business). It's a bit of a loophole and strictly speaking if you've been living here for 12 months you need a kiwi license - you might get away with claiming ignorance if stopped once, but it has been made very clear to husband that if he's stopped again he will be fined if he doesn't have the full kiwi license. Also we believe they did do some checking to ascertain whether he had actually been out of the country (so don't claim to have been overseas unless you really have).
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:40 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
A bit of advise - the license bit is NOT strictly true - husband got stopped speeding last week and argued the 12 months in the country bit to the police officer (he travels between here and Oz frequently on business). It's a bit of a loophole and strictly speaking if you've been living here for 12 months you need a kiwi license - you might get away with claiming ignorance if stopped once, but it has been made very clear to husband that if he's stopped again he will be fined if he doesn't have the full kiwi license. Also we believe they did do some checking to ascertain whether he had actually been out of the country (so don't claim to have been overseas unless you really have).
the theory test is a bit Janet & John so you should be sweet if you get the road code.......
reminds me I promised to scan in my criblist of what's different in NZ......
the way I remembered the right turn rule in the odd situations is:

"if there is no natural right of way ((- as someone is not going to give way when continuing along the main road to car from side road -))
then assume it behaves like a roundabout, ie give way to right"
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
UK passport holders are some of the few who can hold UK/NZ citizenship
Assuming you really mean dual NZ/other citizenship ...

... Not really. Unless you'd consider American, Canadian, French, Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Maltese, Swedish, Finnish, Brazilian, Icelandic, Polish, Hungarian, Belgian and Australian passport holders as "a few".
Old Oct 16th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Not entirely true, we went back to the Uk in October last year and our passports arrived the day before we were due to fly out. I took my old Uk passports with visa's inside and my new passports. No trouble going but coming home from L.A after a stop over the girl said I couldn't travel. I asked her to ring NZ immigration which she did and they said all ok. When I arrived in NZ, they told me to go to the Immigration office asap and get my visa's transfered into my new passport. I would have dont this before I went if I had had the time to do it.

We are currently in uk applying for new uk passports. Am aware we will need the IRRV sticker transfered to the new passports.

Cannot seem to find much info on how to actually do this. Am a nurse recovering from a night shift so having mashed potao for a brain might be why!

Anyway would appreciate a clear answer from someone who has done it if poss. Have found out from UK NZIS website it will cost 35 pounds each but cant see if we need to fill in any forms or if we simply post new and old passports to london with a wee letter. Also how long is it likely to take to get passports back and if you go in person to nz house do you need an appointment and could you get it done in a day if really pushed for time.

Sorry for so many questions.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:46 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

The form I have on my desk for our wee lad's passport is a NZIS1023 Application for Confirmation of Visa or Permit- when I am driving past the Henderson NZIS offfice I will call in with it and the passport.
Not sure how it works in the UK, presumably the same form??
Old Oct 16th 2008, 8:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm also interested in this . My UK passport needs renewing soon and the IRRV transferred.
Let us know what the drill is please Lardyl
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:07 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I'm also interested in this . My UK passport needs renewing soon and the IRRV transferred.
Let us know what the drill is please Lardyl
Hi Bevs
download that form, take the new passport/old passport with it and payment to local office and it can be done in an hour or so.....that's the theory.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 9:11 pm
you dewty owld maan!

mmm..maybe not grasshopper as this form:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...578/0/1023.pdf
is not the same as mine.........its a lot more complex......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.