Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You may have PR but be aware....

You may have PR but be aware....

Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: You may have PR but be aware....

Originally Posted by jads
What a f###er
This seems a big can of worms.
So I presume you should have applied to have the RRV re-newed?? (once in NZ).
We need to be in NZ by October this year before our RRV runs out, then just supposing we had to dash back (ie. funeral etc), we would not have the correct 'documentation' to return to NZ???????????????
Am I understanding this right??

Cheers Jads
you always need a valid! RRV before you leave the country. There are rules about how to qualify for new returning resident visas once your original ones run out. If you are in Nz and past the expiry date on your visas dont leave the country until you get new valid RRVs. its fine to have to dash out of the nz for whatever reason, just make sure you apply for (and get) a valid RRV before you leave.
Similar issue with getting a new passport, you need to have your visa and permit transferred to your new passport (some countries allow you to travel with valid visas in expired passports, Nz doesnt)

Last edited by newkiwi; Mar 27th 2008 at 12:18 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:55 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Ouch...expensive lesson..
Others are right, if you read the fine print on the Residence PERMIT you will see it says something like "holder may remain in NZ indefinately. Permit expires once holder leaves NZ".

What did immigration stamp in your passports when you returned. If they did not stamp your passports with new RESIDENCE PERMITS then technically you are still without permanent residence permits, and will need to get that sorted out. technically it was your returning resident VISAS that were out of date, not the Residence PERMITS.

it may not be a big issue, because with the amount of time youve spent in Nz you will qualify for Indefinite RRVs, and subsequently residence permits, but you still need to apply for those and ensure you have residence permits as well, you dont want to get tripped up by being technically without residence later on when its too late to easily rectify it.
We went in to NZ Immigration with the passports and explained. 10 Minutes later we all had IRRV's and indefinate Residents Visas. Cost $120 but now they are for everrrrrrrrrr (until the UK passports need renewing, when we need to get the transferred at a cost of $7).

Air NZ have also agreed to refund the return tickets, minus an admin fee of course, so overall this oversight or silly mistake cost us about $300.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:27 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh that's a relief, really glad you got both the visas and a good chunk of money back.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:40 am
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Glad you got a happy ending.

I have heard of this before, a friend of ours in AKL went to Ozzy for a business trip, and had the same problem, she had to book a return ticket to get back, she could only get a visitors visa upon return. (however) about 2 two later the whole family was granted residency (that application was started well before she left NZ for trip to OZ) so happy ending.

Moral of this story is ALWAYS make sure your visa's will still be valid for your return. and if this does happen to you, when you book the return ticket make sure the leg you won't be using is refundable.

Adie
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:14 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newkiwi
you always need a valid! RRV before you leave the country. There are rules about how to qualify for new returning resident visas once your original ones run out. If you are in Nz and past the expiry date on your visas dont leave the country until you get new valid RRVs. its fine to have to dash out of the nz for whatever reason, just make sure you apply for (and get) a valid RRV before you leave.
Similar issue with getting a new passport, you need to have your visa and permit transferred to your new passport (some countries allow you to travel with valid visas in expired passports, Nz doesnt)
Not entirely true, we went back to the Uk in October last year and our passports arrived the day before we were due to fly out. I took my old Uk passports with visa's inside and my new passports. No trouble going but coming home from L.A after a stop over the girl said I couldn't travel. I asked her to ring NZ immigration which she did and they said all ok. When I arrived in NZ, they told me to go to the Immigration office asap and get my visa's transfered into my new passport. I would have dont this before I went if I had had the time to do it.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:31 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Not entirely true, we went back to the Uk in October last year and our passports arrived the day before we were due to fly out. I took my old Uk passports with visa's inside and my new passports. No trouble going but coming home from L.A after a stop over the girl said I couldn't travel. I asked her to ring NZ immigration which she did and they said all ok. When I arrived in NZ, they told me to go to the Immigration office asap and get my visa's transfered into my new passport. I would have dont this before I went if I had had the time to do it.
A New Zealand RRV in a cancelled passport is NOT valid for entry into New Zealand. Just because you got away with it does not mean that it is legal and it is irresponsible of you to advise people that it is.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...hHome/faqs.htm

My New Zealand visa is on my old passport and is still valid but the passport has expired. I now have been issued a new passport. Can I travel to New Zealand using the visa on my old passport?

No, a New Zealand visa on an expired passport is not valid for entry. You must transfer your visa to your new passport.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:54 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the complicated permits/visas/rrv/irrv etc is NZIS' cunning plan to get more people to apply for citizenship!! I for one am certainly going to apply for my little black book in 2 years, 5 months and 26 days time!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:25 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
A New Zealand RRV in a cancelled passport is NOT valid for entry into New Zealand. Just because you got away with it does not mean that it is legal and it is irresponsible of you to advise people that it is.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...hHome/faqs.htm

My New Zealand visa is on my old passport and is still valid but the passport has expired. I now have been issued a new passport. Can I travel to New Zealand using the visa on my old passport?

No, a New Zealand visa on an expired passport is not valid for entry. You must transfer your visa to your new passport.
I didn't advise anyone that it is legal to travel on an expired visa, I had already rung the immigration people before I left and told them that I wouldn't have time to get it changed. That is why when I was in L.A I asked them to ring immigration in Nz to confirm this. I would'nt have been my ideal way to travel but due to the circumstances they said ok.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:30 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
I didn't advise anyone that it is legal to travel on an expired visa, I had already rung the immigration people before I left and told them that I wouldn't have time to get it changed. That is why when I was in L.A I asked them to ring immigration in Nz to confirm this. I would'nt have been my ideal way to travel but due to the circumstances they said ok.
Sometimes we get caught short and have to rely on the kindness of officials but it is always best to aim for compliance especially in these security consious times.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:01 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the moral of that story is never to get caught short.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Our 2 year returning visas have nearly expired and we will be applying for indefinate returning visas.So does this mean that there will be no restrictions on the new visas? In theory, could one return to the UK for several years and still come back with Permanent Residency? If so, what is the benefit of getting citizienship?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Our 2 year returning visas have nearly expired and we will be applying for indefinate returning visas.So does this mean that there will be no restrictions on the new visas? In theory, could one return to the UK for several years and still come back with Permanent Residency?
Yep, once granted an IRRV
If so, what is the benefit of getting citizienship?
Some would argue because it allows you to live in Australia

Other reasons include: Cool blue passport, ability to pass NZ citizenship onto your children, sense of belonging to the country you have committed your future to, ability to invest in New Zealand comapnies without being refered to the FIRB?

It has been suggested that the IRRV might be discontinued at some point because it does make the case for citizenship less clear cut so get it while you can.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

so supposing I arrived in NZ in oct 07 with a PR visa and rr visa and leave for a holiday in say may 08, does my '2 yrs in nz' have to restart when I return to nz or is it continued from the 07 date?

Also someone told us yesterday that if you leave the country for a holiday and return your ' one year driving on a uk licence' allowance is also restarted? news to me and not sure I believe it!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:38 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by helinuk
so supposing I arrived in NZ in oct 07 with a PR visa and rr visa and leave for a holiday in say may 08, does my '2 yrs in nz' have to restart when I return to nz or is it continued from the 07 date?

Also someone told us yesterday that if you leave the country for a holiday and return your ' one year driving on a uk licence' allowance is also restarted? news to me and not sure I believe it!
You have to spend at least six months of each of the first two years in nz to get irrv, and at least eight months of each of the first five years in nz to get citizenship, I think?

True that on the licence too.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by pascalr
You have to spend at least six months of each of the first two years in nz to get irrv, and at least eight months of each of the first five years in nz to get citizenship, I think?

True that on the licence too.
Yep all true

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.