Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

As you left these shores.....

As you left these shores.....

Old May 4th 2007, 6:59 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: As you left these shores.....

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I'd like to know as you stood in the airport waiting for your call to gate ? for your one way flight to New Zealand, what was going through your mind. Was it the excitement of going or the fear of what you were leaving behind. Did you care? did you almost turn around? Were you thinking of the inflight entertainment? What was it?
One of my mates called me on my mobile as we handed in our tickets, he was choked up and it started me too. Horrible.
Old May 4th 2007, 10:29 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're flying the NZ national carrier, I hope it's not the in-flight entertainment you're thinking of.
Old May 5th 2007, 3:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I remember thinking maybe one day I'll see the UK again but for now 'See Ya'

We did our goodbyes at home and boy am I glad we did cos my girls cried for about 10 miutes after. My best friend wrote me letters cos I banned her from coming to see us the day we left. I opened them when we took off and it was really lovely to read her words
Old May 5th 2007, 7:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I remember thinking maybe one day I'll see the UK again but for now 'See Ya'

We did our goodbyes at home and boy am I glad we did cos my girls cried for about 10 miutes after. My best friend wrote me letters cos I banned her from coming to see us the day we left. I opened them when we took off and it was really lovely to read her words
Our old neighbours wrote us really long funny letters that we were banned from opening until we were up in the air, they were such good letters and I still have them now .
I left surprise flowers back at my bestest mates and my mums houses for them to find when they got back from seeing us off.
Old May 5th 2007, 8:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

As we got out of the security search at LHR I thought, bugger I still have my spare set of car keys for MrsL's car in my pocket (forgot to give them to me dad who was coming back to collect the car in a couple of days). Thought, I know I'll post em back, only to find that they key fob would not go into that post box opposite the Customs & Excise window. Then found from the friendly C&E bloke that the postie had just been and collected the mail.......still have the keys, have sold the car but new owner has yet (4 months later) to collect it......the day got better (marginally) until I failed to get any sleep on the second leg into AKL, sure was knackered for the rest of the week!
Old May 5th 2007, 8:41 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Our old neighbours wrote us really long funny letters that we were banned from opening until we were up in the air, they were such good letters and I still have them now .
I left surprise flowers back at my bestest mates and my mums houses for them to find when they got back from seeing us off.
karma for being a sweeite........
Old May 5th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Despite the Europe-wide ban on liquids in onboard baggage, my wife decided that she just had to "smuggle" all her toiletries for the flight and strapped them all around her waist. Looking exceeding glamorous at all times during a 24 hour flight, is obviously more important than being blown up at 30,000 feet .

Looking like you have a suicide bomb strapped to you with all the liquids making sloshing noises, is not the way to procede through Security control at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. I passed through no problem, with my carefully measured 100ml in the new, obligatory, see-through plastic bag. Yes within 20 seconds the screaming/crying began, it was like an episode of "Airport" with the cheeky , performing to the camera, representative of EasyJet strictly carrying out orders to the letter but trying to console the irate but hapless passenger. Well, after 5 minutes a red faced and makeup-less wife appeared in the plane (not in handcuffs) shaking, to the shock of all the immaculate Singaporean stewardesses . At least she didn't threaten to go back , as i expected !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; May 5th 2007 at 7:31 pm.
Old May 5th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hang11
Something along the lines of "how the ***** am I gonna manage for 30 hours without a fag".

I remember that too well
Old May 5th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Despite the Europe-wide ban on liquids in onboard baggage, my wife decided that she just had to "smuggle" all her toiletries for the flight and strapped them all around her waist. Looking exceeding glamorous at all times during a 24 hour flight, is obviously more important than being blown up at 30,000 feet .
Old May 5th 2007, 7:38 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Loads and loads of excitement and laughter with my mates and some of our old neighbours came along to the airport too.
I just was buzzing and very happy to finally be on our way.
I was almost irritated at my sis and mum for getting tearful which sounds terrible but it's how I felt. We drank loads of coffee while we waited for the time to finally check in and took loads of photos and then I remember waving everyone off and feeling such relief at not having to go through any more goodbyes again.

Sky I think that was a lovely thing to do, karma for you my girl
Old May 5th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Looking like you have a suicide bomb strapped to you with all the liquids making sloshing noises, is not the way to procede through Security control at Amsterdam Schiphol airport. I passed through no problem, with my carefully measured 100ml in the new, obligatory, see-through plastic bag. Yes within 20 seconds the screaming/crying began, it was like an episode of "Airport" with the cheeky , performing to the camera, representative of EasyJet strictly carrying out orders to the letter but trying to console the irate but hapless passenger. Well, after 5 minutes a red faced and makeup-less wife appeared in the plane (not in handcuffs) shaking, to the shock of all the immaculate Singaporean stewardesses . At least she didn't threaten to go back , as i expected !
That's superb...
Old May 6th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
I'd like to know as you stood in the airport waiting for your call to gate ? for your one way flight to New Zealand, what was going through your mind. Was it the excitement of going or the fear of what you were leaving behind. Did you care? did you almost turn around? Were you thinking of the inflight entertainment? What was it?
The utter and complete excitement of what was to unfold. I was wired man!!!!! I had never been sooooooooooooo excited in my life!! I had waited 15 years to get to that point..I was incredibly happy..even with 2 x 2year old twins and a four year old in tow!!!! Whilst the 2 years here have been FAR from problem free we love NZ, our new lives, our new friends and especially our new 'shed' and the neighbourhood we live in. Miss much about the UK but you have to make choices, aye? Our lives here, for us as a family from a personal perspective are so incredibly better here than in the UK.

NZ is not for everyone, not everyone is able to cope with being away from close family and great friends...you have to give the latter much thought. For me my UK social circle was small and my contact with my family was minimal..we had all moved on and had limited involvement in each others lives...guess that made it easier for me, aye??

The expectations we had of what we expected have been surpassed many times over. NZ is a wonderful place, full of problems just like the UK or any other country for that matter, but it gives us the lifestyle we craved for in the UK. Bloody marvelous I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

To save precious baggage weight, i decided that i would actually wear all my clothes and save the suitcase for all my wife's other toiletries (see last post just above) "i am not going to NZ , there may not be any Clairol Blusher, so i am taking 10 bottles, you will have to leave your clothes here" (as you may have gathered, she likes to look good .......). It was nothing at all about being under her thumb !

Turning up at the security checkpoint red faced, sweating profusely and shaped like a football or an even more rotund version of the Michelin man, is not something to be copied, unless by the really desperate trying to save the 2000 Euro excess luggage fee. After sliding sideways and nearly getting stuck in the metal detecting frame, praying praying that it would not beep, with the resultant 30 minute removal of 6 coats, 15 jumpers, 14 shirts and 4 nostalgic T shirts from concerts from my teenage years (well at least they had ventilation). Maybe the rays could not penetrate 39 layers ! Luckily all went OK from then although the stewardesses could not understand why 4 overhead lockers were full of Sheepskin coats and 30 year old Yes Relayer 1976 tour T SHirts, when travelling to tropical Singapore. It was mighty cold after that though in the middle of the euphemistically named Christchurch summer !

(Well, the one about the wife above was true ;-) ) Wow, Genesis you love NZ, so do i !!!

Last edited by brussels_sprout; May 6th 2007 at 4:08 am.
Old May 6th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

To save precious baggage weight, i decided that i would actually wear all my clothes and save the suitcase for all my wife's other toiletries (see last post just above) "i am not going to NZ , there may not be any Clairol Blusher, so i am taking 10 bottles, you will have to leave your clothes here" (as you may have gathered, she likes to look good .......). It was nothing at all about being under her thumb !

Turning up at the security checkpoint red faced, sweating profusely and shaped like a football or an even more rotund version of the Michelin man, is not something to be copied, unless by the really desperate trying to save the 2000 Euro excess luggage fee. After sliding sideways and nearly getting stuck in the metal detecting frame, praying praying that it would not beep, with the resultant 30 minute removal of 6 coats, 15 jumpers, 14 shirts and 4 nostalgic T shirts from concerts from my teenage years (well at least they had ventilation). Maybe the rays could not penetrate 39 layers ! Luckily all went OK from then although the stewardesses could not understand why 4 overhead lockers were full of Sheepskin coats and 30 year old Yes Relayer 1976 tour T SHirts, when travelling to tropical Singapore. It was mighty cold after that though in the middle of the euphemistically named Christchurch summer !

(Well, the one about the wife above was true ;-) ) Wow, Genesis you love NZ, so do i !!!
Where are you on the Kapiti coast BS?? We adore it down there, we are chums with Biddy in Peka Peka ........we lurve Waikanae!!!! Awesome outdoor pool and grrrrrrrrrrrreat beach!! In the perfect world work and school mon-fri in Palmy, Bach at le weekend in Kapiti!!!
Old May 6th 2007, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Our leaving was made hard by the fact we had just burried the FIL on the Friday as we were flying out on the following Weds. So we had to say lots of goodbyes at the funeral! Not planned!
Then we made arrangements to say our Goodbyes to family and friends at the weekend, as the Monday we headed south for 2 days where we could give ourselves a break away and get used to not being around family for some time to come!
My closest mate (Pauline) broke down in tears, now that really got to me as she normally is one to never show her feelings to anyone, not even her hubby! (poor sod) but thats the way she is, but for her to cry made me think "What the hell are we doing?"
Last year we went back to visit family and friends but didn't announce to some we were arriving so it took some by surprise I can tell ya!
I turned up at Paulines workplace and she almost fainted on the spot when she saw me. Needless to say we had a good few nights of fun, until it was time to leave again...and the tears flowed again!
I got to see my dad one last time before he died in January, so was glad about that but the whole trip made me realise that what I had back home, I should never have left!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.