Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

As you left these shores.....

As you left these shores.....

Old May 3rd 2007, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default As you left these shores.....

I'd like to know as you stood in the airport waiting for your call to gate ? for your one way flight to New Zealand, what was going through your mind. Was it the excitement of going or the fear of what you were leaving behind. Did you care? did you almost turn around? Were you thinking of the inflight entertainment? What was it?
Old May 3rd 2007, 6:58 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As you left these shores.....

Sadness from our teary goodbyes with parents and friends, a weird feeling of having no home and no job, no base.
Excitement at the fact we were actually doing it, trepidation, disbelief that we were actually doing it.
Excitement over our stopover in Hong Kong - plus we had tickets for Hong Kong Disney.

Quite a mix!
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Sadness from our teary goodbyes with parents and friends, a weird feeling of having no home and no job, no base.
Excitement at the fact we were actually doing it, trepidation, disbelief that we were actually doing it.
Excitement over our stopover in Hong Kong - plus we had tickets for Hong Kong Disney.

Quite a mix!
Hong Kong Disney, what was it like?
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Fear of the long, dreaded flight...I really really really dislike flying and a flight of that duration just filled me with dread.

Total excitement...it's not a holiday we are actually going to live abroad.
Old May 3rd 2007, 7:41 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

The inflight entertainment for sure! Its a bugger of a flight, no getting away from it. But also, it was just pure excitement but I think that was more to do with the fact that we were taking two months to get to NZ via the States and Canada. So was totally excited at the thought of all that travelling. Also a teensy weensy bit apprehensive as we were going to be in the States one month after 9/11 and that was an experience!
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:01 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Panic that I'd shit my Levi's or puke on the person in front of me. I had eaten something the previous evening that certainly didn't agree. And it didn't help that my Mom and Dad were damn near dancing with glee after saying good-bye at the security gate. At least my wife had the decency to be a bit teary. My daughter just said, 'Bye Dad,' and rushed off to the airport shop to check out the souvenirs.

It was a very long flight.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:23 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

I stepped on a plane at Manchester in 2001 after selling my house and possesions, clutching a one way ticket to Bangkok.

To me it was a huge relief, I was leaving Sheffield and all the trappings of my rat race existance. I could not wait to get on the plane and never glanced back. Took three years of wandering before I arrived in NZ.
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:33 pm
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

Something along the lines of "how the ***** am I gonna manage for 30 hours without a fag".
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hang11
Something along the lines of "how the ***** am I gonna manage for 30 hours without a fag".
Huge amounts of patches!
Old May 3rd 2007, 11:58 pm
Banned

Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about

I'm really hairy, patches hurt
Old May 4th 2007, 12:12 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
Hong Kong Disney, what was it like?
We loved it! It's the only Disney we've been to so can't compare to the others but we just ran around acting like big kids. It's like leaving reality for a day to a place where it's all clean and fresh and bright.
It's not that big - we went on all of the rides and everything in a day.
Old May 4th 2007, 4:50 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Quite a mix!
Sounds just like me.... we had the added sadness of leaving my 18 year old son behind to study. Knew he was in good hands with my parents but it broke my heart non the less... Glad we made the move though, never have regretted it.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:17 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I had phoned my youngest son (17) to say the final Goodbye and of course he wasn't in. I spoke to my ex-husband who said in a perplexed tone 'but that means I won't ever get to see you again'. We have been divorced over 15 years and although we are now civil, not seeing him ever again would not be a problem for me! I spent 5 minutes laughing on the phone at my expense (or so it seemed at the time) before I could get away from him. I got on that plane with no tears at all!
Old May 4th 2007, 5:32 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Loads and loads of excitement and laughter with my mates and some of our old neighbours came along to the airport too.
I just was buzzing and very happy to finally be on our way.
I was almost irritated at my sis and mum for getting tearful which sounds terrible but it's how I felt. We drank loads of coffee while we waited for the time to finally check in and took loads of photos and then I remember waving everyone off and feeling such relief at not having to go through any more goodbyes again.
Old May 4th 2007, 5:35 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by karonious
I had phoned my youngest son (17) to say the final Goodbye and of course he wasn't in. I spoke to my ex-husband who said in a perplexed tone 'but that means I won't ever get to see you again'. We have been divorced over 15 years and although we are now civil, not seeing him ever again would not be a problem for me! I spent 5 minutes laughing on the phone at my expense (or so it seemed at the time) before I could get away from him. I got on that plane with no tears at all!
stood in manchester airport tring to get the balls to speak to Michel Silvestre ( Man U player!!!) I hate Man U, but love meeting "famous" people. Have met Tana Umanga here, what a nice bloke!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.