Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You know you're settling in when.....

You know you're settling in when.....

Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: You know you're settling in when.....

you know you're settling in when.....
your neighbours are such good friends.

your local venues welcome you with a warm smile and exchange news

you attend the venues with a group of friends

you wake up and think 'my goodness. We are so lucky to be able to do this '

you get used to the idea of ski-ing most weekends over Winter

your husband goes off tramping for a few days with blokie blokes and you get to do girl stuff with all the wives and OHs and --- hey -- you know what --- it's OK.

as above and its multi-national and cultural. So totally cool. We love it. It's like the way it was for us in the UK. Except we never met Chileans before.

You get to overnight with the girlies and the blokes think its cool to look after the kids.

You do it and its an overnight camp

... you get duckings . So cool!

you see your husband every evening and weekend looking so absolutely , totally at peace and happy & you love him for it .

you see your husband every evening and weekend love him to bits - but don't tell him

you accept a leg o wild boar ,or half a deer and think nothin' of it.

you shot it yourself Nope not yet but I may well do

you just tell those that maintain that the UK is all rain and coronation street, cr*p , unsafe and grey , that they are talking total botox and don't know what they are on about.

You especially tell those that have never really been there [uk] except on OE.

You especially tell those that are the boring farts of expats that feel the need to trash the UK simply because.. coz you know what ? That helps no-one.

you really appreciate what was in the UK and can say so.

you feel the need to buy oil heaters

you start scavanging [ sp] for cones, flax leaves and logs to keep warm and find this fun

you give away your avocados, lemons , grapefruit, eggs

you take part in a walk.run for life

you can host folk you never met before, for no other reason than you want to show them what a wonderful place this is to be....

Old Apr 12th 2007, 7:59 am
`

Originally Posted by dazal
Only had it once at my sister in law's wedding (she is Samoan) covered in coconut cream!!! Avoid!
Karma coming your way

We spent a month plus in Samoa 1997 :thumbup . Roots Aarrgg! Know them well.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:04 am
`

Its a really nasty root vegetable and mainly eaten by Pacific Islanders. Its not really that good for you either and I think the closest thing it would be like would be a potato (I think) but not even that nice. Only had it once at my sister in law's wedding (she is Samoan) covered in coconut cream!!! Avoid!
Karma mate. Have done this myself
Old Apr 12th 2007, 11:48 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Its a Maori delicacy isnt it, that right. Some kind of sea bird which is an acquired taste, I think.

or are you talking about the iconic kiwi band?

Dya know what kina is?
Kinna is sea urchin - and they put that in their mouths?!!
I used to have a huge collection of sea urchin shells, mostly garnered when we lived near Peterhead. I gutted many of them myself. A sea urchin consists of mouth pieces like budgie beaks around the hole at the bottom and bugger all else really.....? A bit of mucous-y, sponge-y body and that was it........and it is considered a delicacy by Maori.......
DON'T DO IT!!!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:33 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I used to have a huge collection of sea urchin shells, mostly garnered when we lived near Peterhead. I gutted many of them myself. A sea urchin consists of mouth pieces like budgie beaks around the hole at the bottom and bugger all else really.....? A bit of mucous-y, sponge-y body and that was it........and it is considered a delicacy by Maori.......
DON'T DO IT!!!
Ok
Old Apr 12th 2007, 9:41 pm
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

can't remember where i was, maybe malaysia or hua hin where white sea urchins are a mega delicacy and very expensive like truffle prices. obv not weight for weight..
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:01 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

DON'T DO IT!!!
Thats the stuff! I have been too scared to give it a try. A friend of mine tried and said it wasnt that bad but I dont believe her at all.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

pottyanne is an unknown quantity at this point

When you know all the words to "Why does love do this to me"
When your routing for the All Blacks
When you start using words like "pakeha" and "whanau"
and you can pronounce them, along with the place names, not just the place up there that begins with "W" - they
ALL begin with W (or P)
Old Apr 13th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

DON'T DO IT!!!
Some guys from work went diving for these, they brought them back along with Paua and threw them into the sink. The poor buggers were still alive and moving They then set about preparing them to eat and asked me if I wanted some . I told them to throw them back where they came from, it was a pitiful sight.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:36 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Winnie
Some guys from work went diving for these, they brought them back along with Paua and threw them into the sink. The poor buggers were still alive and moving They then set about preparing them to eat and asked me if I wanted some . I told them to throw them back where they came from, it was a pitiful sight.
I agree, but I had the ultimate comeback from a kiwi who said "but what about haggis, black pudding and deep fried mars bars!"
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Apple12
I agree, but I had the ultimate comeback from a kiwi who said "but what about haggis, black pudding and deep fried mars bars!"
But thats meat, dried blood with fat(!!) and chocolate covered in batter. Not a comparison really. Mmmmmmm..............black pudding
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:41 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winnie
But thats meat, dried blood with fat(!!) and chocolate covered in batter. Not a comparison really. Mmmmmmm..............black pudding
The sea urchin sounds better
Old Apr 13th 2007, 8:51 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

When you complain about the bills especially the car road tax bill(just got mine) which is only $43 a year than you see the ACC($111) and others that make the total $183 .
Dont you wish car insurance was compulsary :curse:
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry
When you complain about the bills especially the car road tax bill(just got mine) which is only $43 a year than you see the ACC($111) and others that make the total $183 .
Dont you wish car insurance was compulsary :curse:

Good call brother
Old Apr 14th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

The air raid siren ( call out to volunteer firefighters )doesn't make you run for cover.

You go to the pub with friends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.