Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Originally Posted by simonsi
I reckon it rains 4x as fast here as in the UK, so even twice the annual rainfall falls in half the UK rainfall hours....much better all round I say :-)
Yep, when it rains it pours.

Not a problem for me. Rain is rain, if it is falling for less time, no matter how heavy, I agree this is better.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Is that right? Anyway, if so, it is misleading.
I lived in Bristol for 20 years - it's overcast for 11 months of the year and seems to rain almost continuously.

Auckland - specifically the Waitakere Ranges, less so other suburbs - gets pelted with rain frequently all year but it comes down in torrential downpours and half an hour later its blue sky again. It's rarely overcast like it was in the UK/ Bristol. Even if it has higher rainfall, it seems to rain to me a lot less time-wise. One dimensional statistics can lead to flawed conclusions being drawn.
Sorry if I've got you wrong but your response seems defensive. I'm not criticising the weather.

I was simply commenting to those that are complaining about the rainfall shouldn't be surprised by it, just backing it up with a simple stat.

I could blather on about sunshine hours, etc ... If you'd like?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:29 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I agree this is better.
Yep, that is how I see it.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, when it rains it pours.

Not a problem for me. Rain is rain, if it is falling for less time, no matter how heavy, I agree this is better.
People sure do like to get all dreamy about the 'better' weather; one winter here in Auckland it only rained three times: once for forty day and then again for a fortnight.

Now's not a good time to talk about the rain as many people will have forgotten what it looks like. We do of course get days when you never see daylight and the greyness and low pressure hangs in the sky for a week or more, the last time was for the whole of the week over Christmas upto New Years but selective memories won't recall this.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
People sure do like to get all dreamy about the 'better' weather; one winter here in Auckland it only rained three times: once for forty day and then again for a fortnight.

Now's not a good time to talk about the rain as many people will have forgotten what it looks like. We do of course get days when you never see daylight and the greyness and low pressure hangs in the sky for a week or more, the last time was for the whole of the week over Christmas upto New Years but selective memories won't recall this.
So what? Rain is rain whether its fine drizzle or monsoon. You'll get wet if you go outside and the sun isn't shining.

On balance the sunshine hours more than make up for it.

We're famous for it, why are the British so obsessed with the weather? Move to the Atacama desert if you want to avoid the rain.

Given that Auckland is surrounded by water, days on end of rain has been something happening there for 1000's of years.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if I've got you wrong but your response seems defensive. I'm not criticising the weather.
Defensive - Not the intention mate. Just adding to the debate.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:20 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
the last time was for the whole of the week over Christmas upto New Years but selective memories won't recall this.
I was in the UK so don't have it to recall. Second week of January was all rain around Queenstown too (friends were there), we were at home in Auckland with the sun. Year before we holidayed in Queenstown and had 2 weeks unbroken sun while Auckland had rain...must be lucky I guess....

But the stats don't lie, mislead or have selective memory - from http://www.weather-and-climate.com

For Birmingham(closest place to where we lived)

For Auckland

So Birmingham has on average approx 100hrs/mth of sunshine, Auckland has 160hrs....and of course in most of those extra 60hrs/mth it also isn't raining :-)
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but I'm going to piss you all off soon.

It rains in NZ. It rains in the UK.
Sun shines in NZ. Sun shines in UK.
I get tired in NZ. I get tired in UK.

It rains everywhere!!!

It's nature (as my 4 year old would say)!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 5:33 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by marblep

It rains everywhere!!!

Hmmm, your point is that everywhere is the same??? Don't be afraid to say NZ is "better" in your experience
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The weather is not better or worse. It is simply different. It would be wouldn't it, as it is a very different part of the planet.

Right now, I wish for the rains to fill our tanks and irrigated our section.
When it's that non-stop harsh sunlight day on day, I wish for the overcast so I can see without sunglasses and go out without sunscreen.

When it's the rains , I wish it would stop flooding our section and let me go out without getting sodden & filling up me wellies

There again, I'm contrary like that.

ps:- NZers are mega obsessed with weather. Not surprising really given 'lifestyle' and rural environments.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:35 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

It rains everywhere!!!
I only wish more expats had such a good understanding of the weather etc.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Today I haven't yet had a communication with a client who didn't mention the weather - all unprompted by me, an effort driven by this conversation.

We're (the British) obsessed.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

It rains everywhere!!!

Strange.............but true!!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

ps:- NZers are mega obsessed with weather. Not surprising really given 'lifestyle' and rural environments.
Yep, outdoors aren't fun in rain (at least not for me). And with not much else to do rain is kind of a bigger issue here for me than it was in Europe.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 7:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Today I haven't yet had a communication with a client who didn't mention the weather - all unprompted by me, an effort driven by this conversation.

We're (the British) obsessed.

I loves you . You make me giggle.

You will find it just the same here - everywhere - from everyone. Plus the homemade weather stations, barometers and digital jobbies.
Really, it ain't no different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.