Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Originally Posted by thelondonmacs
Hi All

My question to you all is simple... are you glad you made the move? warts and all do you feel upping the family and moving half way around the world was the right thing to do?

I would especially like to hear from any of you with small children.

Thanks!
Glad: Yes
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:09 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
A few people mentioning how wet Auckland is;

This shouldn't come as a surprise, a bit of quick research will prove that the driest month in Auckland is still wetter than the wettest month in any UK town or city.
Interestingly both our kitchen hob and the BBQ run off 9kg LPG bottles. We use 2 on the BBQ to every one on the kitchen hob. No the BBQ is not under cover.

Can't imagine that in the UK, even on the South Coast.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
A few people mentioning how wet Auckland is;

This shouldn't come as a surprise, a bit of quick research will prove that the driest month in Auckland is still wetter than the wettest month in any UK town or city.
Is that right? Anyway, if so, it is misleading.
I lived in Bristol for 20 years - it's overcast for 11 months of the year and seems to rain almost continuously.

Auckland - specifically the Waitakere Ranges, less so other suburbs - gets pelted with rain frequently all year but it comes down in torrential downpours and half an hour later its blue sky again. It's rarely overcast like it was in the UK/ Bristol. Even if it has higher rainfall, it seems to rain to me a lot less time-wise. One dimensional statistics can lead to flawed conclusions being drawn.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:16 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
It's rarely overcast like it was in the UK/ Bristol. Even if it has higher rainfall, it seems to rain to me a lot less time-wise. One dimensional statistics can lead to flawed conclusions being drawn.
I reckon it rains 4x as fast here as in the UK, so even twice the annual rainfall falls in half the UK rainfall hours....much better all round I say :-)
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

By the way, questions like this posed by the OP rarely yield any truly useful information imho. Every city in the world will have its supporters and detractors. Some may say you will get a general sense particularly if a place tends to one extreme or the other. But the respondents here are unlikely to be sufficiently representative. So that's flawed. It really comes down to the individual concerned; and only you will be able to judge whether it's for you.

You really ought to try and come out before making any firm decisions.

I am writing this from a lounge of a hotel in Tongariro National Park. That's my happy place. I like Auckland, but I like it even more for how easy it is to access numerous other great places in NZ which are just a few hours drive away.

Every weekend is packed with fun and excitement for the family. We viewed our weekends with dread in the UK. We couldn't be happier.

But is my experience necessarily representative? No.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
I reckon it rains 4x as fast here as in the UK, so even twice the annual rainfall falls in half the UK rainfall hours....much better all round I say :-)
I never experienced rain like it before moving here!

The biggest things I noticed re the weather coming over here:

* How hard it rains but for less time
* How little it is overcast - whereas the UK was overcast almost all the time (and that used to really get me down)
* How strong the sun is here
* How mild our first / the last winter was
* How rubbish NZ housing is for even mild winters!
Old Mar 1st 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
First in regards to if moving your family half way around the world, if it is the right thing to do. Well that is totally up to you. Immigration is not an equal opportunity for anyone and peoples experiences will differ greatly, even if they had relatively similar circumstances.

We lived in Auckland for two years when we first arrived. So here my two cents.

Its beautiful, I remember when we first arrived and I went to go for my first interview and I had to take a bus from the CBD to Albany, it was a foggy morning, but as the bus went over the harbour bridge (my first time) the bus emerged into brilliant sunshine as the sun rose over Rangitoto. It was glorious and one of the enduring memories of Auckland. We lived in Devonport, which was a short ferry ride to the CBD, but we had plenty of choice of safe swimming beaches (perfect for kids), we also loved to spend time exploring and taking in the views from North Head.

Commuting was a pain, I worked in Albany and the short distance from Devonport could take around 45mins. Auckland is very spread out, so getting from one side to another by car can be frustrating.

You mention a better work/life balance. I am not sure what that means to you, but if your husband is earning 120K, then I would expect he would have a role that has responsibilities that would require more than the usual 9-5. But saying that, if I had a crappy day at work, its nice to have the option of going to the beach and having a couple beers with my wife.

Now, some people might call me a philistine, but I would rather stick red hot needles into my eyes then go to the ballet, opera, museums etc. What my wife and I do like to do, is go dancing, have a few drinks, eat out and generally have a good time. We had plenty of opportunities to do that in Auckland.

Auckland is expensive for sure (try living in Stockholm), but your husbands salary is better than average and would afford you to have a decent lifestyle in a reasonable house.

Regards the weather, having lived in a few different places around the world, I thought the weather was pretty good. I dont mind a bit of rain, it was warm enough to go swimming in summer and where we lived I always got a kick of seeing rainbows over the harbour.

Good luck!
so where do you live now then?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 5:08 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
so where do you live now then?
Marlborough, top of the South.

We liked Auckland, but ultimately it was not the picture of NZ we were looking for.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is a capital so it has some of the living costs that go with that but on 120k you should be fine but it will depend on what you lifestyle choices are, just as in the UK.
Since when has Auckland been the capital?
JAFAs have this strange concept that nothing exists beyond the Bombay Hills!!
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I thought I had missed something big then
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:55 am
It is what it is Member

Try looking it up, you might learn something, I said "a capital" which Cambridge happily defines as "the most important place for a business or activity", you know, as in "cultural capital", "financial capital". Clearly seat of Govt does not make Wellington (or anywhere else in NZ that has been the seat of Govt), the economic capital of NZ, but Auckland IS, like it or not, and THAT is what drives the issues it has.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...tish/capital_1

Last edited by simonsi; Mar 2nd 2013 at 7:00 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 6:59 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by gina and danny
I thought I had missed something big then
Yes you did, but not what you think ;-)
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Try looking it up, you might learn something, I said "a capital" which Cambridge happily defines as "the most important place for a business or activity", you know, as in "cultural capital", "financial capital". Clearly seat of Govt does not make Wellington (or anywhere else in NZ that has been the seat of Govt), the economic capital of NZ, but Auckland IS, like it or not, and THAT is what drives the issues it has.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...tish/capital_1
So you are now implying that Auckland is more important culturally and financially than Wellington. Keep digging your hole Simonsi.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 7:26 am
It is what it is Member

So you are now implying that Auckland is more important culturally and financially than Wellington. Keep digging your hole Simonsi.
Economically, growth, population and pop growth. if not these then which factor(s) do you think cause Auckland's issues then?

Being upset that no-one compares London and Welly isnt an analysis.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

chris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nicechris the property man is just really nice

Back to the point, guys...

My family (wife, 21 year old and 18 year old 'kids') and I have been in Auckland (Howick to be exact) for nearly seven years now and have loved every minute of it.

We had what most would class as a nice life back in UK. I had my own business doing well, kids were enjoying school, nice cars, holidays to USA and Europe. But it wasn't really what we wanted. Too much crime, too many people walking around looking depressed, crap government, a health service being brought to its knees...need I go on.

We did our home work on NZ, Oz and Canada. Oz had too many things that can kill you and extremes of weather, so that was discounted. Canada was a maybe but we decided NZ looked the most likely. It seemed to have a lot of similarities to UK but different enough, in a positive way, to make the big upheaval worthwhile.

We decided to visit NZ and if it didn't suit then we would look further into Canada. We came over for a 2 week exploration expedition and fell in love with the place. We stayed in a motel on the Bucklands Beach peninsular with Rangitoto staring at us in the face every morning. The weather wasn't fantastic for the 2 weeks, but still much better than any 2 week period we could remember having in the North West of England.

Six months later we were here - we sold the house etc. so that we weren't just going to 'give it a go' but were fully committed. It was the right thing to do for us. The kids seemed to step back into their childhood by 3-4 years. In UK kids 'grow up' far too quickly now. They seem to stay kids for much longer here, which we see as a definite plus.

I haven't earned as much as I used to, but I'm hoping that to change soon. But money was not the reason we came here. It was for a slower, nicer way of life, and we got that. Yes, the houses are a bit crap and the wages are lower and....etc., etc. It isn't perfect, but it suits us down to the ground.

The point is, as many have said, it is a different experience for everyone. You can get all the opinions you want, but ultimately you have got to suss things out yourself and make that decision. We didn't want to look back in 10 years or so and say "why didn't we go for it". But, similarly, I don't think it's a good idea to emigrate anywhere with a "we'll give it ago - we can always move back" mentality. Everyone that I've met that did that has ended up returning back. Probably because they just weren't committed to making it work. It's like getting married. You shouldn't do it until you know that it's the right thing, don't do it half heartedly.

It still might not work out (as with some marriages) but at least you will have given it the best chance you could.

My advice...do your homework. Choose which place is the best option, taking all the factors into consideration, and do a 3 week recce. Suss out the different suburbs and schools so that you can make the decision once you go back (that'll make your mind up, I bet...getting back to the gray skies and depressed looks..sorry, that was my experience).

The fact that you are looking at uprooting your famiy and moving as far away from UK as possible must mean that you are not happy where you are. Correct? So, you just need to work out whether NZ and specifically Auckland is the right place to move to.

Best of British!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.