Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Originally Posted by Synky
That's not rain, THIS is rain.....

*points outside of window to Scotland*.

And let's add in -2 in March for good measure.

Honestly, moaning kiwis
And snow... In march.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:17 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
And snow... In march.
Yet another day of total blue sky and 26deg here...of course we are having to fill the water tank weekly but hey problems everywhere...
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yet another day of total blue sky and 26deg here...of course we are having to fill the water tank weekly but hey problems everywhere...
My new boss sends me emails with 'another beautiful day' at the foot of every single one.

I think she's trying to motivate me out of here quick sharp!
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

My new boss sends me emails with 'another beautiful day' at the foot of every single one.

I think she's trying to motivate me out of here quick sharp!

Has been true since Christmas pretty much - even as a weather statement and not a philosophical one...
Old Mar 10th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
Assanah - your ignorance astounds me. 'Aucklanders have managed to create one of the most boring cultures there is among western countries'.

What an ignorant person. Do you actually understand what history means and where cultures derive from? You've actually made me shake my head for worry about your utter stupidity.

I wouldn't take Assanah's posts to heart. They say more about her/him than Auckland, NZ or NZer's.

Quite sad really to think that someone is that unhappy.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

And snow... In march.

Seems so. Just been sent some amazing photos of the fells covered in snow --again.

Tiz a hot summery day here today. Hurry up to catch what may be an Indian summer and an NZ autumn.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelondonmacs
are you glad you made the move?
Yes we're glad we moved to Auckland, but now we're even happier we're out of Auckland living down here in Dunedin. We were up in Auckland a couple of weeks ago and driving through some of the neighbourhoods made me glad we got out, people are skinting themselves struggling to afford pretty poor housing in not too good areas clogged up with traffic. I'd left the UK to get away from these very things.

I'm glad we got Auckland out of our systems, I'm sure if we'd have moved somewhere quieter we'd have dreamed about moving to the big smoke, there's just not enough going on up there to put up with the bad stuff.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thelondonmacs
Hi All

I have been reading through a number of the posts and get the feeling that while some of you are loving Auckland others don't have very much good to say about it.

My husband has been offered a job in Auckland that will pay around £120k. We have 2 small children (3 year old and a 2 month old) and we like the idea of raising our children somewhere with a better work life balance and more outdoors lifestyle. I will get a job once we are all settled.
My 2 reservations so far have been the weather (I see a lot of posts about bad weather) and cost of living.
I have done my research and feel we will be able to afford Auckland and can take whatever the weather throws at us.

My question to you all is simple... are you glad you made the move? warts and all do you feel upping the family and moving half way around the world was the right thing to do?

I would especially like to hear from any of you with small children.

Thanks!
I love living in Auckland. My family is into boating amd beaches and I don't think there is a better city in the world for what we want. The weather is such that it is rarely too hot or too cold to do what we want outdoors. The coastline around here is absolutely stunning if you're into sailing (if not, now is a great time to start). 120k is quite a good income, especially if the other half can pick up a part time job to pay for the luxuries
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I wouldn't take Assanah's posts to heart. They say more about her/him than Auckland, NZ or NZer's.

Quite sad really to think that someone is that unhappy.
Plus - what she says is purely subjective spoken with confidence as if it is fact. Auckland to me is culturally edgy and deeply fascinating. Seems we move in different cultural circles, "darling".
Old Mar 11th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
Plus - what she says is purely subjective spoken with confidence as if it is fact. Auckland to me is culturally edgy and deeply fascinating. Seems we move in different cultural circles, "darling".
Of course what i say is personal. I thought that this is clear but my fault for not specifically mentioning that. Will add a disclaimer to my posts. Never lived in a less fascinating city than Auckland though.

*DISCLAIMER - this post is the personal view of the author and as such subjective*

Last edited by Assanah; Mar 11th 2013 at 8:23 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Assanah - your ignorance astounds me. 'Aucklanders have managed to create one of the most boring cultures there is among western countries'.

What an ignorant person. Do you actually understand what history means and where cultures derive from? You've actually made me shake my head for worry about your utter stupidity.
---

You know what, I sometimes read in a forum of immigrants in Germany (my country btw). And many do criticize Germany and the Germans a lot! Some points I agree with, others I don't. Sometimes comments are over the top and offensive to me and I sometimes object to them (boring btw is one of the nicer adjectives used). However, I have never called one of the posters ignorant and utterly stupid or anything like that. If you can't stand others opinions and you think you need to get personal, be my guest. You definitely won't change my opinion about Auckland with this kind of behavior.

Just in case it is not clear:
*DISCLAIMER - this post is the personal view of the author and as such subjective*

Last edited by Assanah; Mar 11th 2013 at 8:43 am.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

And snow... In march.
It's like Lapland here, we had to dig ourselves out the driveway!
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:18 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

I'm pretty sure I saw a white walker yesterday.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Synky
I'm pretty sure I saw a white walker yesterday.
My dad was saying yous didnt get much any in glasgow. My own fault for living in hookter chookter land!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah

---

You know what, I sometimes read in a forum of immigrants in Germany (my country btw). And many do criticize Germany and the Germans a lot! Some points I agree with, others I don't. Sometimes comments are over the top and offensive to me and I sometimes object to them (boring btw is one of the nicer adjectives used). However, I have never called one of the posters ignorant and utterly stupid or anything like that. If you can't stand others opinions and you think you need to get personal, be my guest. You definitely won't change my opinion about Auckland with this kind of behavior.

Just in case it is not clear:

Sorry Assanah - my reply was somewhat harsh. As they say 'each to their own'. I love Germany, was fortunate enough to go there several times. I do have a question though, did you move to NZ with the plan of living there, or was it just an extended OE? I do wonder if you had done sufficient research.

*DISCLAIMER - as above.*