Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 2:51 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are you glad you immigrated to Auckland?

yes yes yes and yes.

I haven't posted on here for quite a long time but felt I would contribute to this thread.

I love New Zealand and I love Auckland.

We have been here for just over 11 years and live in a part of the North Shore that those who dont have a clue might call the arse end of the North Shore (Birkdale) it isnt.

As most people have said it is different things to different people but for me, its been great and I love it. The weather is good and this is certainly the best summer we have had in a long while. Even the winter is mild, well it is here in the Winterless North I cant vouch for such place as Dunedin may be where it might well be a lot colder. It does rain a bit but no more or no less than the UK and even when it does, it is generally sunny at the same time and not the dull as ditchwater darkness you might get in the UK. Yes the houses are cold but after 11 years we are used to it and we have adapted our house to fit now anyway. After living in Auckland to 11 years I have found going back to the UK now I just cant deal with the central heating anymore, it is just so stifling hot.

As for stuff to do here, I just dont get the people that say it has no soul and there is nothing here - where are you looking? Or not looking? There is plenty here including plenty of fantastic restaurants, plenty of bars. Cinema including art house cinema and love the film festivals we get here. Theatre. Obviously this is not New York or London or even Melbourne but we do get theatre here and there is plenty of local theatre around too. Art, galleries, museums. Great beaches not too far away from most suburbs within Auckland. If you are into sport, well you are in the right country. Food festivals, great food festivals and plenty of them. I dont know about the clubbing scene as I am not into that but I have been told its pretty good in Auckland.

NZ is not a mecca for shopping unfortunately but there are still some good places out there. We dont have as much choice as most other places but you dont move to NZ for the shopping.

Have I forgotten anything, most probably but thats a start anyway
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

My only regret is not doing it sooner
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am a Kiwi and for some of you my opinion wont count but that's OK. I am married to a Brit and over the years we have lived overseas five times, twice in Britain so I have seen a fair bit of the world and I could have easily been miserable, very miserable at time. But hey life is what we make it and in my expereience very negative brings with it a positive.

What I can't get over is folk making such massive changes in the life such as coming to NZ without a full understanding that NZ is three pacific islands in isolation and then saying there is no energy here. If you don't like the water and other experiences life has here for you think hard about it.

There is energy but it is a NZ energy as it should be. This is not a small Britain and never will be.

Of course things will cost more, and of course there wont be the variety. Yes houses are too expensive but if you drive through the expensive areas someone lives there, someone can afford them.

I really feel for some of you who are finding it hard either financially or emotionally.

I hope you all find what you are looking for in life wherever that may be.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:55 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Well I am a Kiwi and for some of you my opinion wont count but that's OK. I am married to a Brit and over the years we have lived overseas five times, twice in Britain so I have seen a fair bit of the world and I could have easily been miserable, very miserable at time. But hey life is what we make it and in my expereience very negative brings with it a positive.

What I can't get over is folk making such massive changes in the life such as coming to NZ without a full understanding that NZ is three pacific islands in isolation and then saying there is no energy here. If you don't like the water and other experiences life has here for you think hard about it.

There is energy but it is a NZ energy as it should be. This is not a small Britain and never will be.

Of course things will cost more, and of course there wont be the variety. Yes houses are too expensive but if you drive through the expensive areas someone lives there, someone can afford them.

I really feel for some of you who are finding it hard either financially or emotionally.

I hope you all find what you are looking for in life wherever that may be.
I can't think of anything more important than the opinion of a local, as you see it the way it actually is and always has been, i.e. perfectly normal.

One often hears of Brits complaining about immigrants to the UK who then criticize it.

it is good to seek information and in doing so there will always be a rainbow of answers.

Research is very important, in fact, totally necessary.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

What I can't get over is folk making such massive changes in the life such as coming to NZ without a full understanding that NZ is three pacific islands in isolation and then saying there is no energy here.
Well, then why not be honest and admit to being a small, quiet, remote island with no real city life but plenty of nice beaches. Why writing things like this:

Breathtaking scenery, world-class food and wine, sparkling harbours, island retreats, eclectic cultures, great shopping and spectacular arts and events – it’s all here for you to discover.

http://www.aucklandnz.com/
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:23 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. But we're in Wellington
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:51 am
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

Crap shopping? That's it, I'm not coming now
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Well, then why not be honest and admit to being a small, quiet, remote island with no real city life but plenty of nice beaches. Why writing things like this:

Breathtaking scenery, world-class food and wine, sparkling harbours, island retreats, eclectic cultures, great shopping and spectacular arts and events – it’s all here for you to discover.

Because that's your opinion and it is not shared by everyone. I find plenty of life here and culture and would strongly defend Auckland's right to describe itself in this way!
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

mcgarnagle will become famous soon enoughmcgarnagle will become famous soon enough

Were you dragged here kicking and screaming?

Is somebody keeping you here against your will?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

We've got all that in little old Christchurch let alone Auckland!
Not much breath-taking scenery and sparkling harbours in good old Deutschland, and the food is average unless you like sausage and pickled cabbage and the wine is pretty average too
Mind you I did like Germany, particularly the Reeperbahn, such a cultural success that part of Hamburg
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
We've got all that in little old Christchurch let alone Auckland!
Not much breath-taking scenery and sparkling harbours in good old Deutschland, and the food is average unless you like sausage and pickled cabbage and the wine is pretty average too
Mind you I did like Germany, particularly the Reeperbahn, such a cultural success that part of Hamburg

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's amazing, is that near a major city? Or up in Bavaria somewhere?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:54 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

It is written because the statement is true!

Breathtaking scenery for sure you cant argue with that, world class food and wine definitely, sparkling harbours and island retreats (Waiheke) yep for sure, eclectic cultures agree, great shopping possibly might not agree with this one quite so much but thats just my opinion but its not that bad and my husband might disagree going by my shopping habits and spectacular arts and events yes absolutely. I wont list them all there are far too many! Again, like I said before, its not NY or London but for a small place it does really well on this score.

Do you get out much?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Wow that's amazing, is that near a major city? Or up in Bavaria somewhere?
I've been to there to the Neuschwanstein castle. Decades ago mind you. Yes. It's near. Less than a couple of hours from Munich. I think one could also take the train and bus. Nice drive from memory.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 3rd 2013 at 6:58 pm. Reason: poxy lap toppy mouse thingy
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I've been to there to the Neuschwanstein castle. Decades ago mind you. Yes. It's near. Less than a couple of hours from Munich. I think one could also take the train and bus. Nice drive from memory.
It looks gorgeous. Im going to go interrailing some day and see a lot of germany and some other countries! Its so near yet i've never been!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.