Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink!

You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink!

Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice
Default You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink!

Hi Everyone,

just thought I´d throw my little dilemma into the ring. I´m keen on relocating
to NZ, preferably the north island, however my wife isn´t convinced yet.
She is a little set in her ways, I´m 45 and she is 49.
The only way we can relocate is through her, she is a doctor (med).
My profession is not on the wanted lists.
I just wanted to hear what other people have gone through before relocation
Thanks for reading this, I hope you have time to reply.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: You can bring a horse to water, but you cant make it drink!

Hello Meat and Two Veg,

Can I call you M&2V?

Look over the forum threads and you will find all sorts of information from the nuts and bolts of immigration paperwork to the costs of moving furniture, airfares, pet relocation and so on. You will also find a lot of squabbling and moaning as well as some exhortations to, 'c'mon on down. It's great!'

If you have any specific questions, fire away. My only advice is that you formulate specific questions. Very general questions such as 'What is the BEST place to live in New Zealand?' are useless, really.

Good luck with it all.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Meat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really niceMeat and two veg is just really nice

happynz,
thanks for replying, and yes call me M&2V if its easier, obviously I have thousands of questions, who wouldnt if you are about to go and live on the otherside of the planet..

Apart from the gentle shaking of heads from friends and relatives, who obviously think I´m mad, Forums seem to be the best place to chat with simillar minded individuals.

I´ve been logged into a german Forum for nearly three weeks now, and they all seem to be based on the south island and heavily around Nelson, however the info was very informative, with lots of conflicting opinions, but I´m interested in the sub-tropical north.

One specific question which I need answered at some stage is, has anyone in medicine here on the forum or anyone you know returned to europe after a few years and was able to gain employment again. If I could garantee my wife this was possible or I had contact with someone who did it, for whatever reason that doesn´t matter, then she wouldn´t feel she was burning bridges.

This is a major point as to whether we relocate or not.

I am a Brit and have lived with my german wife in germany for 17 years and have simply become tired of the society here. New challenges can bring the spring back into your step, I haven´t lived in England since 1986 and I have no intention of living there again

Bye
Meat and two veg
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:29 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck Norris could make it drink
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

M&2V,

I would think that a medical professional would have few problems in securing work just about anywhere they would want. There does seem to be a competitive market for the skills of medical experts. If New Zealand doesn't work out then a hop across the ditch to Aussie may be in the cards. Perhaps something even more challenging and maybe rewarding (not financially mind you) would be doctoring on the islands that are scattered across the vast Pacific.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Hi HappyNZ,
step out of the profession ie leave germany for a few years then you have
major problems being accepted back. I think this is somewhat similar with the
NHS in the UK you end up being struck of a register if I´m correct. Its the bridge thing again, if you´ve moved once you can move back again.
bye
Meat and two veg
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:16 pm

I see the problem. There is always that concern of burning bridges at worst or losing pay and status if you return. The ol' eggs and bacon for breakfast dilemma I guess - involved or committed. The chicken is involved in the breakfast whilst the pig is committed.

Could you all arrange for a sabbatical of sorts to come out here for an extended look-see to see if New Zealand is a suitable fit?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

happynz,

we are visting in feb 2009, I´ll definitely be prepared with all translations, certificates and what not, we´ll look around then see how things turn out.

Where do you live and work? Did you choose this area or did the job offer choose you?

Bye

Meat and two veg
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:25 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

M&2V what are your reasons for wanting to live in NZ and are you intending to make it a long term move?

(p.s....the north isn't subtropical.....not in a subtropical sort of way, if you're looking for that try SE Queensland)
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi.
I have moved this into the main NZ forum so more people will see it.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

Hi Meat and 2 Veg

We emigrated to NZ, Tauranga, Bay of plenty 8 months ago from UK, for all sorts of different reasons. Way the country was going, daughter bullied most of her school life, husband stuck in a rut with work.
Emigrating is not to be taken lightly, you have to be pretty damned sure when you do these things as, it can cost you a lot of money if the move wasnt right. When you arrive you are on a real roller coaster of emotions, one minute you love it here the next, you could go home. I think your wife must really want to do it. It means a totally new beginning for you both, making new friends (isnt always easy), Everything is done so differently here.
Saying that, me and my family have adjusted to the NZ way of life. We do things here I never thought we would (Jet Ski, Body Boarding, Wake board, Long Walks, Picnic on the beach). You do miss your family and close friends.
Saying that though, there isnt a day I would want to return to the UK.
Why not bring your wife for a holiday here, do some travelling around and see what you both think. Hope that helps.

Julie
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Have I understood this correctly....your German wife is a doctor in Germany and does not really want to give it up but you do. Having lived in Germany for a while as a student myself I can see why you might want a change but equally aren't you expecting her to majorly move out of her comfort zone...presumably she is currently working in a German-speaking environment not an English-speaking one?
If she can prove the language proficiency, they will snap her up in NZ (because all the kiwi ones are in Europe!) and the only UK female doctor I know who came to work in NZ for a couple of years did manage to secure employment back in the UK NHS afterwards.
There are loads of UK medics out here but few posters here would know much about the German Medical Community's attitude to colleagues who choose to work overseas.

Bring her on a holiday and see if she changes her mind maybe...I think you both have to be equally up for it or it can easily lead to a catalogue of disaster.
In your wife's secure career position, I doubt I would want to make the move either.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:09 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Well I know it's possible to gain employment in the UK after a stint in NZ as my own doctor back in the UK did just that.

Sounds like your real problem is your wife's reluctance to move. I'm afraid that if she isn't fully committed to the idea, you are unlikely to derive much joy from moving.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:10 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I think when wifey sees the salary scale out here there'll be a 'How do you get a divorce in New Zealand' post in a few months time...

Wait a minute...she's a doctor in Germany? Then she'll be one of the elite group of people who came to NZ and actually saw their salary go up.

Last edited by Avid; Apr 1st 2008 at 1:19 am. Reason: actually read the thread...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
I think when wifey sees the salary scale out here there'll be a 'How do you get a divorce in New Zealand' post in a few months time...
Yes that's true Avid - doctors are way more respected and held in awe in Germany..they certainly don't expect to use their first names with patients....Frau Doktor and Herr Doktor and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.