Yogurt

Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:47 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Yogurt

I make my own yogurt but don't seem to be able to get Greek "style" yogurt to have that nice thick (viscous) consistency you get when you used the packeted mix. How do they get it to thicken so much? Is there some sort of gel agent I should be using?

Last edited by Charismatic; Sep 10th 2015 at 1:51 am.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Yogurt

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I make my own yogurt but don't seem to be able to get Greek "style" yogurt to have that nice thick (viscous) consistency you get when you used the packeted mix. How do they get it to thicken so much? Is there some sort of gel agent I should be using?
I use 1.5 cups full cream milk powder, 3 (Oz size) tablespoons "starter" & enough tepid water to make 1 little.
For starter purchase very thick Greek yogurt from supermarket. For each batch thereafter use some of previous home made yogurt.
HTH
Old Oct 15th 2015, 10:35 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Yogurt

Worked well actually. Also I switched to an electric yogurt maker which keeps the optimum temperature throughout the process, best thing I ever purchased for under $20 (inc. shipping).
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. I do think that the packets of Greek Yoghurt (say the EasYo) are pretty good for something you just add water to - have been impressed with those. I do a bit of greek yoghurt
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 12:04 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

It's strange that almost every recipe starts with boiling milk because milk comes pasteurised from the factory.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Greek ? It was a Bulgarian discovery. Hence "Lactobcillus Bulgaricus."
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 7:48 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It's strange that almost every recipe starts with boiling milk because milk comes pasteurised from the factory.
Maybe they think your fridge is dirty.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

I think it has something to do with protein conformity because it seems to retain less whey if heated to 85 degrees Celsius. They definitely use sweeteners as well in the commercial stuff although I like it's slight tangyness so I don't sweeteners.

Given the price in shops if you eat it often it's worth splashing out.

Link to the thing.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:12 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I think it has something to do with protein conformity because it seems to retain less whey if heated to 85 degrees Celsius. They definitely use sweeteners as well in the commercial stuff although I like it's slight tangyness so I don't sweeteners.

Given the price in shops if you eat it often it's worth splashing out.

Link to the thing.
I see it has humanisation:

Humanization: Transparent cover and container lid, making the process clear
Wonder if you could use it for clotted cream?